Protec PXL51515 2000 miles 2 months

Came of coworkers 2010 Chrysler T&C 3.3 V6 with 157000 miles it was in use for 2 months. Rotella T4 15W40 was used. Replaced with same oil and filter. This engine appears to be cleaning out pretty well and going to do oil pan gasket during next oil change. The filter was cut open and left to drain for a week before I got around to taking photos.

IMG_20240126_150441.jpg

IMG_20240126_150448.jpg

IMG_20240126_150458.jpg

IMG_20240126_150503.jpg

IMG_20240126_150512.jpg

IMG_20240126_150538.jpg

Came of coworkers 2010 Chrysler T&C 3.3 V6 with 157000 miles it was in use for 2 months. Rotella T4 15W40 was used. Replaced with same oil and filter. This engine appears to be cleaning out pretty well and going to do oil pan gasket during next oil change. The filter was cut open and left to drain for a week before I got around to taking photos.

View attachment 200319

View attachment 200320

View attachment 200321

View attachment 200322

View attachment 200323

View attachment 200324
Maybe I’m retarded but part of me thinks a 51516 is correct filter. Maybe I’m wrong. Filter looks good, Thank You for post.

The van is supposed to take a 51348 but the 51515 fits right on with a mile of clearance everywhere around, plus it bumps the oil capacity from 5 to 6 quarts to full mark.
Doubt there is a whole quart of volume difference between those two filters.

5 quarts with the 51348 is dead on full. Dead on full on both his and my van at 6 quarts with the 51515.
You checking the oil before or after starting the engine after an oil change? You do realize that in order for that to happen, there would have to be a 1 quart difference in volume between those two oil filters. You have a photo of them sitting side-by-side? The larger filter would have to be gigantic in relation to the smaller filter.

You checking the oil before or after starting the engine after an oil change? You do realize that in order for that to happen, there would have to be a 1 quart difference in volume between those two oil filters. You have a photo of them sitting side-by-side? The larger filter would have to be gigantic in relation to the smaller filter.
Yes, after starting, cold engine on flat ground. I've gotten just about an entire quart into the full size 51515 filters prefilling them before. The 51348 it calls for is a lawnmower sized filter, in fact I've installed that size/number filter on many riding lawnmowers and hydraulic power units running V twin small engines. The 51515 is the same as a Fl-1A Ford filter. They are rather large. I've done it many times, and it brings the full mark right to 6 quarts with the 3.3 and 3.8 V6 engines.

Filter element looks fine. Personally, not a big fan of the use of a combo valve. For two months use, likely ok but prefer to see a separate bypass.

Thanks for c&p.
I've been using these combo valve filters for quite a few years now on vertical and 45 degree angle filter orientations now and never had a problem or complaint using them. I've ran some of them a full 12 months and they still felt fine.

I've been using these combo valve filters for quite a few years now on vertical and 45 degree angle filter orientations now and never had a problem or complaint using them. I've ran some of them a full 12 months and they still felt fine.
I can't dispute your anecdotal evidence, though I have my doubts how the valve feels is evidence it functioned properly throughout the entire oci. Has little or nothing to do with the antidrainback function of the nitrile combo valve. It's most to do with the bypass function. Trusting a piece of rubber to allow bypass at the proper psi especially as intervals increase, in doubt, imo. And, as has been discussed this sub-forum before, use of combo valve strictly a cost saving measure.

I just prefer using a filter having a separate mechanical spring to control bypass and would be willing to pay extra for it. Interesting fact, while GM has used a Champ Labs made ecore design for years, they never adopted the use of a combo valve found on most ecores at the time. Now very few ecore filters use a combo valve, only lowest tier. Most now have separate dome poppet bypass.

All that said, since you're happy with combo valve Protecs, all good. To each their own.

I was pretty high on the combo valve Napa Silver filters for a while. Then I started my Jeep in true brutal cold temperatures and had awful engine knock for several minutes. I’m convinced the bypass wasn’t working and my engine was not getting enough oil until it warmed up a bit. Changed out the filter for one with a proper bypass valve and never had the issue again.

I think they are fine for moderate temperatures though. If someone made one in silicone that would probably work but the whole point of the combo valve in the first place is to save a buck so probably not happening.

Back