Worn main bearings from sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
How 'bout some super 'sweet' 100% Pennsylvania Crude GrI, solvent-refined SAE30.
Is that hydrolytically stable and polar enough for ya?
wink.gif

some amsoil products claim they are great for infrequently used vehicles.
our Ram sits for months between uses. sometimes a year or two. probly put less than 40k on it in the last 17 years. has 120k on it now. oil pressure is great. no noises. of course, I just jinxed it....

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What you can do is hook a garden sprayer up to the oil pressure port and get the engine primed with oil before starting it. That will prevent the equivalent of several thousand miles of engine wear.

Or get a pre-luber like I use in my van. Flip a switch and get full oil pressure in about 15 seconds to a minute depending on ambient temperature. Then turn the key and have full oil pressure before the engine starts.

Old fashioned Mobil 1 15W-50, or any good HDEO 15W-40 should be fine.

I am NOT a fan of the old 2.2 from the 80's. More bad ones than good ones were made.

You are correct. No rust, just worn from lack of lubrication. Engine is low miles, Bearings have less than 10,000 miles on them over 10 years. So the advice seems to be heavier oil like a 15w-40 or 50 and probably Dino and not synthetic. I know several guys who use the Mobil 1 15w-50 and they seem happy with it but that's synthetic.

Who said anything about rust, and rusty journals ...
33.gif

Since it's seldom driven, there is no need for the long mileage capability of synthetics between oil changes. It'll time out before you accumulate enough miles for a change.

HDEO is good for 6,000 miles in a car at minimum. That'll get you through a few years at a time, at least
smile.gif

I've had a goodly mixture of vehicles (all gassers) from 10-ton trucks down to motorcycles and run very well on HDEO for decades. Got an old '73 I-H boom truck that starts once every six months on Delo. Motor is always fine mechanically. Have issues to get it stated (mice eat the wiring, and last time some "tourist" took off the gas cap and left it ...), but that's just country living ... Been pouring Delo in old stuff for 30 odd years. They all get along quite well
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back