Working 40+ hours a week and multi jobs etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Time with the family is much more important than money.

Indeed it is, but if you have a family, you have to support them. That balance tilts more towards work hours, the larger the family is.

I work as an electrical engineer for an MEP (mechanical, electrical and plumbing) engineering firm where we design these systems for buildings. My minimum hours are 40/week but there are some weeks I have to work up to 65hours. Sometimes multiple projects I'm working on collide and I need to work longer hours to complete my projects. The past 4-5 weeks I've been pulling 50-55 hour weeks. This week things have calmed down and I'm working closer to 40-45. Sometimes it can be "feast or famine" in the industry depending on what construction industry is doing.

If you're not careful and learn to make a stink to refuse additional work you can get burned out and eventually you'll quit due to stress.

Last edited:
Working two jobs here as I am switching between jobs, and while my wife has the summer off. Used to work some crazy hours, but now they are not so bad. working about 55 now....though that will drop to under 45 by the end of this summer.

Getting older, living below our means, means I make more time for my family now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back