Wix racing filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Wix Racing filter 51060R. On the filter is a warning 'not for street use'. Any idea why? I have used Fram HP4 and not warned about street use. I use it on a warmed up Chevy 350 and run Brad Penn 10W30.

This Q&A came from here:
Wix Racing Filter

Q:
I bought 2 of the racing filters after reading they perform well for high perf motors. My problem and question is after reading the filter box, they warn not for street use. Is there something in the filter requiring higher oil pressure or ???. I was going to return the filter because of this warning. My motor is a Chev SB 350 in a Chevelle.
Asked by TONY on June 19, 2016
A:
Tony, thank you for your question. The reason these filters are not intended for street use is the micron rating. These filters will capture particles as small as 61 microns. WIX-51069 filters, for example, will capture particles as small as 21 microns. The race filters are less restrictive, and allow for more flow. However, they are meant to be used once and thrown away (and the oil replaced with clean, race oil). They should not be used on a vehicle that is driven regularly. They will not filter the finer particles that come from the wear and tear of driving a car for 3,000 miles before changing the oil and filter. Those fine particles in the oil can cause wear, damage, and restriction to oil flow throughout the engine, over time. We hope that helps clear things up for you. If you drive your car regularly, we would recommend using a filter with a smaller micron rating, like the WIX-51069.

Good extended explanation above. And to paraphrase member Gary Allan (rip) on the topic, 'true' racing filters are 'basically sieves'. Suitable/appropriate for track use, for extended street use, not so much.

Now, Ford makes what they call a 'Racing High Performance' filter', that is quite efficient and quite well made with very stout construction (thick can, heavy baseplate). While it has Racing in the name, I would consider it a street use filter especially appropriate for use in vehicles with high performance engines.

good to know. I have a Wix racing filter on my new engine and bought a spare.
frown.gif

Check out the specs on the Wix site, if you dig you'll find facing filters have micro ratings for 50 to 160 microns, meaning they filter nothing out except big chunks from a catastrophic engine failure.

For a street car and long term use, they are completely transparent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back