WIX 57356XP and FRAM XG7317 Cut Open and Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like fibers that are not captured.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I'll never use a Fram Ultra. EVER. Why? Mostly because of the attitude of the people on here that use them. For some reason, it's sickening.
That has got to be one of the lamest reasons I've heard not to use a product. Likewise just as petty as the people you are complaining about lmao.
Oh, I know it's lame. But the FU FanBoy antics are second to none...and they require equal ridiculousness.
Phishin - you do not seem to be the type of guy that allows others to easily influence him. I would buy what is best for me and ignore the hyperbole and dramatics of the others.

Nice pictures, thanks for the Cut Open.

How and how long did you dry the elements out? FWIW I’ve only noticed the “fibers” tend to only appear loose after some drying, I’ve also noticed the same effect present on HD filters (Made by Champion). I’ve never dried out a used WIX.

Thanks for the effort and good catch on the cans physical size...

I've used Napa Platinum's for 120k miles on my Honda Accord. I have some older MicroGreen filters I'm using now.

I'll never use a Fram Ultra. EVER. Why? Mostly because of the attitude of the people on here that use them. For some reason, it's sickening.
When I can usually buy THREE Ultras (eBay) for roughly the price of ONE XP/Platinum (which NEVER go on sale in this area), it makes it a pretty easy decision! Is the Ultra that much better? I don't know, but the XP/Platinum is definitely not THREE TIMES better! Don't even mention the Microgreens, that's one of the biggest scams going-I would use a Wix/Napa Gold or even an Extra/Tough Guard before one of those.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
That spring valve is what kills buying Wix again for me.

You talking about the big coil spring that holds the guts together, or the bypass valve spring?

Never knew the big coil spring was considered a valve.
But nope, talking about bypass. I buy GMs and my pre-2004s don't need another bypass inside oil filters. Actually my Colorado vertical filter doesn't even need an ADBV with aftermarket filters. The Classic AC Delco PF61s don't come with an ADBV.

You talking about the big coil spring that holds the guts together, or the bypass valve spring?

But nope, talking about bypass. I buy GMs and my pre-2004s don't need another bypass inside oil filters. Actually my Colorado vertical filter doesn't even need an ADBV with aftermarket filters. The Classic AC Delco PF61s don't come with an ADBV.

The big coil spring is not part of bypass valve. For many GM applications, the proper Wix filter would not be equipped with a bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Am I the only one bothered by the WIX had some adhesive on the base plate coming loose and starting to enter the filter?

Good point. This is the first time I have seen this issue. If the loose sealant is only on the inlet side, the filter would catch it. But, if lose on the outlet side. I would have a big problem with that. It could also explain the loss of ADBV function on the 51372 I have used.

Big coil spring isn't a "valve" ... but some might think it's related to the bypass. Just asking for clarification. So WIX doesn't spec a filter without a bypass valve for your GM that has a bypass in the block?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
That has got to be one of the lamest reasons I've heard not to use a product. Likewise just as petty as the people you are complaining about lmao.
Oh, I know it's lame. But the FU FanBoy antics are second to none...and they require equal ridiculousness.
Phishin - you do not seem to be the type of guy that allows others to easily influence him. I would buy what is best for me and ignore the hyperbole and dramatics of the others.

People are pretty funny ... thanks for the laugh.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
No, the media being fuzzy is way more important than the fact the filter works better.

To clarify, the FU uses two layers of media, the inside layer is woven much tighter and therefore less "fuzzy" as the outside layer, so probably less chance of shedding fibers. I doubt a few fibers coming loose and going through the oiling system would cause any problems. If that was true then all synthetic media filters would pose a potential danger, but never hear about it causing any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back