Wix 51040 no bypass valve?

I have to get a couple of filters for a 2006 Buick Allure (Cdn model) and Rockauto is showing a Wix 51040 that doesn't seem to have any bypass valve. The ACDelco part does. Why wouldn't the Wix have one? Is it dangerous to use in the Winter (down to -35C or so)?

EDIT: It looks like the high performance ACDelco one does, but the basic ACDelco PF47E does NOT, same as the Wix? Is the bypass in the oil pump?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

I have to get a couple of filters for a 2006 Buick Allure (Cdn model) and Rockauto is showing a Wix 51040 that doesn't seem to have any bypass valve. The ACDelco part does. Why wouldn't the Wix have one? Is it dangerous to use in the Winter (down to -35C or so)?

EDIT: It looks like the high performance ACDelco one does, but the basic ACDelco PF47E does NOT, same as the Wix? Is the bypass in the oil pump?
The filter bypass valve is in the engine block, so the filter doesn't need one.

The "bypass" valve in the oil pump is more accurately described as the oil pump "pressure relief valve" ... and it has no connection to the oil filter bypass valve.

Last edited:
The bypass is on the engine. I always wondered why they sell the replacements so much as I never thought about replacing one or even how to test a bad one. Engine starts hammering? Take it out and press on it I guess. The block valves are like $5. If you have two bypasses, if your engine bypass isn’t opening right, there will be a backup.

Last edited:
Back