Winter storage in a carport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been storing our spare vehicle (van) in our garage at the cabin for the winter for 3 years. The only thing I do is pull the battery and make sure I have a few rodent bait stations at the garage corners. I use a product called Contrac bait cubes and I don't have any problems with mice. The tires loose about 10psi in about 4 months but other than that it's been fine.

I've parked my mercedes the last couple winters and it's done fine. No rodents (maybe I'm lucky.) I've been parking it on its own tires but up on 6x6 lumber so it's a little higher underneath for better ventilation.

Your drafty carport sounds ideal, actually. Cold air is dry air which will preserve things, and the roof will keep sun off the paint. Even if you get a snowdrift in that won't be the end of things.

My car has no computers and so the battery holds up fine. You might want a trickle charger or solar panel.

For a winter beater to make financial sense, you have to put elbow grease into it. I got a $400 camry that needed a clutch and some rocker panel patching for last winter, for example. If you like [censored] boxes you don't need to come on here and ask how.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back