Winter, err, vehicle...take three...

I put a Hellwig (#7511) rear sway bar on my 09 XL. Really helps with sideways hop on the highway when going over quality MASS roads with an empty bed ... just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Ranger update: 220,000 miles. Average of 22MPG so far, had no trouble in the snow we have gotten (running 215/75R15 Firestone Winterforce snows). Zero problems so far, though it will need front brakes soon. Uses less than half a quart of oil in 5K miles and it truly drives like a new truck.

laugh.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like a happy ending.

I wasn't too worried about the winter thing. If she managed with a Z/28 in the snow, she probably could have gotten around with a pre-'04 Tacoma 2WD. Those things are scary on wet roads. Can't imagine snow.

200K miles on the 5R55 transimission is a lot.

If they were 5 speeds, I wouldn't even worry! The 4 cyl Duratecs are great little engines!

Some weight in the back of that, and some tall/skinny snow tires and that should be great in the snow!

Last edited:
Not really, over 200K miles is common on 4R and 5R transmissions.

And it is a five speed, hence the "5" part of the name.

The transmission in the OP's friend's truck is a 5R44E. I would be least concerned about it behind a four cylinder.

Snow update: it handled it without a problem. Didn't match her husband's Cherokee (well, duh), but had no trouble getting her to work (nurse) in the snow the past couple days.

First real problem: the A/C is dead and the tentative diagnosis (one of those "we check your A/C while we change your oil" places) is a bad seal on the compressor. The shop offered to fix it...for the "reasonable" price of $630! (She declined.)

On the plus side, Rock Auto lists a Four Seasons re-man compressor for about $180.

A/C is fixed (like, a month ago)...it was a bad O-ring. Cost about $160. (Most of that was for recharging it.)

220,000 miles.
smile.gif

Still going strong...230K miles, the Winterforces went on last weekend. Needed brakes all around (worn pads and rear wheel cylinders seeping), which were done Labor Day weekend.

Update: Winterforces back on last week, turned 250K yesterday. Replaced what I honestly think was the ORIGINAL serpentine belt!
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

I can't believe how many people neglect tire choices when buying vehicles for winter use. I've seen people buy Subaru's and then drive in the winter with SUMMER-PERFORMANCE tires. I usually wish them the best of luck because there's no getting through their thick heads.

Glad to hear the truck is working well and that you chose PROPER tires for your environment. I too drive a performance car like the Z28 and would never be caught dead between November and April without winter tires. This is the 8th winter the car has seen, no issues at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I can't believe how many people neglect tire choices when buying vehicles for winter use. I've seen people buy Subaru's and then drive in the winter with SUMMER-PERFORMANCE tires. I usually wish them the best of luck because there's no getting through their thick heads.

Glad to hear the truck is working well and that you chose PROPER tires for your environment. I too drive a performance car like the Z28 and would never be caught dead between November and April without winter tires. This is the 8th winter the car has seen, no issues at all.

World War 3 right there! Never suggest winter tires for winter! haha

~260,000 miles...still running perfectly. Put an alternator in it a couple weeks ago due to a noisy bearing.

Now has 270,000 miles...nothing but oil every 5K and a set of front pads. Winterforces went back on a couple weeks ago, should get one more winter out of them.

290,000 miles on the Ranger, first major problem: water pump is leaking. She is driving her Z28, wife and I will probably do the WP tomorrow.

Good to hear!

My 2002 is a bit behind at just over 201K miles, but still doing good. CEL isn't even on since it's warm and the gas gauge is working (throws CEL when gas gauge stops working).
grin.gif

As long as they don't rust out, these trucks are great daily drivers. I took my 1994 Ranger 4X4 with 191K miles on it to work on Monday just because. Normally I am at a parts counter all day, not a driver. There was some kind of crisis and a Kia trunk lid had to go to Mississippi right freaking now. It went there in my 23 year old truck with almost 200K. I'm not complaining, it has ice cold A/C, good seats, and a nice radio. I didn't pay for the gas, but it even got 21-22 MPG. Freaking great truck. Didn't even check the oil before I left.

Last edited:
Back