Winter, err, vehicle...take three...

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
My dad has a RWD F-150. They live in Buffalo, NY, so they get a decent amount of snow. He's never been in an accident with it, but there have been a number of occasions where the truck won't go up a small incline in a parking lot or some such where it isn't plowed so well. He keeps 300lbs of sand in the bed and carries around a shovel for these occasions.

Just posting this to say that there are other things to worry about in the snow than accidents.

I agree. If I bought my wife a 2wd mini truck for the winter I'd be living in the garage the first time it snowed! U better get a couple hundred pounds of sandbags, winter tires and chains. JMO. Don't dink around, keep looking for a Subie or U will pay.

Last edited:
Again, third time: she has gone through the last FOUR winters with no problem in a Camaro Z28 Super Sport! A 2WD Ranger will be fine with a set of snows and some weight in the back.

JH: Your wife is considerably taller than Tina.

I dunno--I'd think a Ranger would be lighter in the back. Weight it down and it might not be so bad.

The Z28, did it have any sort of limited slip? I've only read a little about the "G80" lockers, apparently they kick out above 45mph or something like that--dunno if a Z28 would have a limited slip or regular open diff.

Between the two I'd take the "fleet" truck. Floor cleans up easy and less to worry about breaking. Less mileage. But I may be biased because I have the no-frills vehicle.

One caveat is get a good look at the undersides of both vehicles if you can. Being in NE you know about rust and the Rangers are magnets. Rocker panels, spring shackles, spare tire carrier, frame love to rot out. Some of it rusts if you stare at it funny.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Again, third time: she has gone through the last FOUR winters with no problem in a Camaro Z28 Super Sport! A 2WD Ranger will be fine with a set of snows and some weight in the back.

JH: Your wife is considerably taller than Tina.

OK then... post up pics of the stuck and/or wrecked truck when it happens will ya lol.

Originally Posted By: supton
I dunno--I'd think a Ranger would be lighter in the back. Weight it down and it might not be so bad.

The Z28, did it have any sort of limited slip? I've only read a little about the "G80" lockers, apparently they kick out above 45mph or something like that--dunno if a Z28 would have a limited slip or regular open diff.

Z28's come with limited slip.

My apologies to the OP for going off topic--my only concern was about if the Z28 had a LS, and the Ranger didn't. Obviously one can drive in winter with a 2WD truck. But I don't know if this completely the same comparasion. Then again, it doesn't matter, since she's made up her mind.

My only experience with a Ranger is a family member's who had the rivets rust out on the rear spring attachment point to the frame. The spring came up through the bed. However, AFAIK he had it all welded back in place, a few years ago, and it's still going.

I suspect Truck #2 is better. Slightly older, but it's probably seen less salt. Less things to break, less wear in general. OTOH, what is her expectations? I can't see my wife driving anything w/o power windows and locks these days (she's a sedan driver though). Would she be ok with a stripper truck?

Well...the 2005 is out. It looks like it was not maintained well: glop in valve cover, brake fluid is BLACK, four different brand tires and a missing spare, power steering leaks and pump is noisy; it was DEFINITELY a fleet truck (for a local pest control company), and the frame has heavy surface rust and the beginning of structural rot. But this is the killer: no tilt column. Tina simply cannot drive it safely.

The other one is still a possibility, but she's still looking...

Well...looks like she is buying truck 1, the 2007 XLT. I was wrong, it's an EXTENDED cab, not a regular cab. Yes, it has 205,000 miles...but it was clearly maintained (it came with two folders of records, including a rebuilt transmission less than 15,000 miles ago and a windshield in March), it's rust free, everything seems to work (I spent 45 minutes under it on a lift), it was cheap, and the seller even included a cap. It will need tires (has a set of badly-checked and mostly-worn Michelins on what look like Explorer 16" alloys); otherwise, it's good to go.

Yes, her first purchase will be a set of base-Ranger wheels and four winter tires.

That sounds like a fine winter vehicle to me. With decent snows and a little weight in the bed it should grip just fine. It's got more ground clearance than the Chevy and coming from that car she should already know how to use the go pedal to slide around stuck vehicles in intersections where FWD and AWD vehicles would have to just stop and wait. Being as it's a pickup, you get to keep a coal shovel in the back and adjust ballast as needed whenever there's heavy snow and not have to worry about if you've got enough sand.

Don't forget to stomp the brake pedal but good once to check those famous Ford brake lines.

Brake lines are new.
smile.gif
I expect it will do fine with a set of either Winterforces or Treadwright Kedge Grip tires.

Nice! Not a bad choice at all. That truck probably has a lot of life left, and it's good to find one that has been cared for.

The stock tire size is 225/70R15, but 235/75R15s almost fit better and widens the choices a lot.

Ranger update: 220,000 miles. Average of 22MPG so far, had no trouble in the snow we have gotten (running 215/75R15 Firestone Winterforce snows). Zero problems so far, though it will need front brakes soon. Uses less than half a quart of oil in 5K miles and it truly drives like a new truck.

Glad to hear it is working out nicely!

I hope age won't get to mine before it hits 220K, but considering the number of 20+ year old Rangers I see running around here I'm probably worrying about nothing. I'm still amazed at how consistently reliable mine has been despite abuse that would land many vehicles in the junkyard permanently.

One of my neighbors has a Ranger similar to mine, but a year older, white, and Edge trim. We shoot the [censored] about our trucks pretty regularly and it's always the same stuff..."yeah, locked my keys in the truck last week, broke in with a screwdriver" or "the birds [censored] all over me while I was doing body work."
lol.gif
11-12 year old trucks could be having much worse problems.

The Z28 is likely the only vehicle on the planet with poorer performance in winter than a 2WD mini pickup...but if you throw a few hundred lbs of sand bags in the bed and put 4 winter tires on it, you might be OK. The sandbags would help with the poor weight distribution and winter tires will help her go as well as stop...

I gotta' ask - how's it doing in the snow?

Last edited:
Pretty well...it handled unplowed roads and 3" easily, including a steep parking ramp the Z (on Blizzaks) usually couldnt manage. She does report its not as much fun in the snow...wont do a donut as easily.
smile.gif

She who discovered it has remote locks... found the remote in the glove box, works perfectly with a new battery.

Back