What an experience! - 2010 Silverado review

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I'm going to preface this with the statement that this is in no way a "serious" review. One cannot, with any sense of respect to common sense, feel they are doing a just service to reviewing a vehicle with this kind of mileage and unknown history, so keep that in mind when you read what follows.

Today, my best friend purchased a 2006 RAM 2500 with the Cummins. It was 3hrs away and I accompanied him to go pick it up with the intention of driving his work truck back. So that's 6hrs of driving; roughly 600Km (373 miles) in the vehicle he's provided by work, which happens to be the subject of this thread, the Silverado.

He's the 3rd person to have this truck as a company vehicle. It's a 2010 Silverado in LTZ trim I believe, with the following basic specs:
- Cloth interior
- 4.8L engine
- 4x4
- Very basic stereo
- Crew cab
- Rear drum brakes
- 20" wheels

On to the gritty details. This sweet baby has 367,000Km on it (228,000 miles) and she wears them well. They are predominantly highway miles, and I don't believe it's ever towed anything. It's on its third transmission, which is arguably the most poorly geared slushbox I've ever had the displeasure of piloting. The truck is in good shape body-wise and interior, with only a bit of rust around the door bottoms, door sills....etc.

It squeaks noticeably at low speed, as a u-joint is going out of it.

The 4.8L reminds me of a lo-po 305 that somebody put V-TEC on. It makes ZERO power until 4,000 RPM, where it suddenly screams to 5,500, shifts, and this is where the magic of that transmission comes in! The engine RPM plummets to 3,000, it falls on its face, and then attempts to struggle up to 4,000RPM again to repeat. Passing required planning. Hills required a steady foot to the floor to keep up to the stock diesel. The 4.8L screamed away until the transmission shoved its face into the pillow and then you had to anxiously wait until it managed to get itself free again. It could do with double the number of gears easily. The spacing appears to anticipate an engine with a powerband that isn't that of a 2-stroke, and that isn't this engine, no sir!

The gauge cluster is, well, awful. Sitting there looking at it, there are way too many numbers and too many dashes between them. Somebody got really busy filling in the Metric speedometer. I can't see the left-most parts of any of the gauges on the right-hand side of the cluster, as they are obscured by the "tunnels" GM decided to put them in
21.gif
This "tunnel shield" assembly slopes back from the bottom to the top, which simply adds to the awkwardness.

The seats were reasonably comfortable, unfortunately the driver seat has a funk that, when heated by the body, resembles that of rancid parmesan. My buddy was laughing pretty hard as I'm driving with the windows down trying to air out the stench.

The mirrors are, well, GM mirrors. They decided at some point to cut out the lower inner corner of them for reasons that still fail to be obvious to me. The right power mirror didn't work, but hey, it's 9 years old.

It's riding on some wonderful Michelin LTX M/S2's, which yielded an excellent ride.

The door pins on the driver's door are expectedly trash and need replacing.

The A/C blew ice cold, and it was surprisingly sparse on squeaks and rattles, though I'd be hard pressed to hear any with the windows down trying to air out the cheese smell.

When it rolls over it sounds like it's thinking about whether it wants to. Not sure if that's the battery or the starter.

The brakes were not its best feature. The stopped it, that's about where the positives end.

The dash is six miles deep, but it's shaped like the rockies, so you really have no idea what's going on between you and the windshield. Did GM put useful storage spots there? Who knows! I sure didn't.

The stereo was reasonably good. The passenger side door speaker rattles a tad, but I didn't do a whole heck of a lot of music listening of course due to the windows down situation.

All-in-all, I'd say that the truck has held up extremely well over the mileage, save the ghastly transmission, which apparently isn't even capable of staying together behind an engine whose power delivery characteristics were inspired by the engineers at Stihl. Likely an otherwise long-lasting setup, if you can stomach the powertrain. I certainly couldn't.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Were did this garbage come from ?

I assume you mean where? And the answer is 6 hours of my today.

Originally Posted by 4WD
6 hours ~ ? Lost me there O/K

This isn't a C&P, I wrote it, this was literally where I spent six hours today, in this truck.

Originally Posted by dishdude
What's next? A review on the Uber car you rode in?

I don't do Uber, but thanks for your contribution
thumbsup2.gif

Ok got ya now … But have no future plans based on what you have written

Originally Posted by 4WD

I'm sure there was a 10 year old fleet truck with a quarter of a million miles on it in your future.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Didn't think you did, but there could be a BITOG'er, perhaps Ramman/Dakota or similar who might
wink.gif

I figured some might find it amusing though. We have zero GM trucks at work (they are all Dodge with the exception of a single 2012 Ford) so I'd not experienced the 4.8L before now. And what an experience!
grin.gif

Well … Chevy makes millions of long lasting trucks = period … An LTZ would have different equipment and interior …
And they are far, far, from a bad LT or HD LT driveline …
So I traded a 2010 for a 2018 … the 2010 never saw the dealership and was beat on like a drum …
Both have/had smooth drivelines …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Well … Chevy makes millions of long lasting trucks = period … An LTZ would have different equipment and interior …
And they are far, far, from a bad LT or HD LT driveline …
So I traded a 2010 for a 2018 … the 2010 never saw the dealership and was beat on like a drum …
Both have/had smooth drivelines …

Did you have the 4.8L? The engine seemed like it would work reasonably well if fitted with a gearbox that didn't drag it down 2,500RPM between shifts. It has a very narrow, and very obvious powerband, as I noted, it reminded me of a 2-stroke. As I said, just a guess on the trim, we've had rental LTZ's before, this may just be an LT. Not sure what, if any bearing that would have on the travesty of a transmission GM used however
21.gif

And I don't question the long-lasting nature of the vehicle, in fact I noted that body-wise and interior-wise, it's held up quite well given the service it is in.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD

Didn't think you did, but there could be a BITOG'er, perhaps Ramman/Dakota or similar who might
wink.gif

I figured some might find it amusing though. We have zero GM trucks at work (they are all Dodge with the exception of a single 2012 Ford) so I'd not experienced the 4.8L before now. And what an experience!
grin.gif

Sure, I have only owned the 5.3L and enjoyed its evolution … prior to 6 speed up they were sensitive to what rear gears were in place … so I geared low in that era. The 5.3L packages nicely with 6 speeds+ …
Today I dropped off a brand new Nissan Rogue rental … drove wife's Tahoe (picked me up) … and took the Z71 to pickup firewood on a 94 degree evening …
OMG, gimme those last two drive trains any day …

Wow we were typing at the same time so what you posted on gearing was independent

Originally Posted by 4WD
Wow we were typing at the same time so what you posted on gearing was independent

OK. As I noted in the OP, this wasn't mean to be a "serious" review of the vehicle, it's a ragged out fleet vehicle with an unknown history. I just found the powertrain bizarre. I'm sure the 5.3L feels significantly more competent, particularly if you were choosing deeper rear gearing. This appears to be geared pretty tall, as I was like 1,500RPM at 60Mph?

Interesting read. The 4.8 was, I believe, a short stroke 5.3. If it had the 4L60 trans the gear ratios were 1) 3.06, 2) 1.64, 3) 1.00 4) .074. The jump from 1st to 2nd is pretty big for a short stroke engine and it could have been equipped with 3:08 gears which would really dampen the party so to speak. Even with the 3:42 gear acceleration would have been leisurely. The A/C working as good as it did is no surprise as GM had that air conditioning thing nailed.
A friend of mine had pretty much the same truck, it got pretty gas mileage but that's about it.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Interesting read. The 4.8 was, I believe, a short stroke 5.3. If it had the 4L60 trans the gear ratios were 1) 3.06, 2) 1.64, 3) 1.00 4) .074. The jump from 1st to 2nd is pretty big for a short stroke engine and it could have been equipped with 3:08 gears which would really dampen the party so to speak. Even with the 3:42 gear acceleration would have been leisurely. The A/C working as good as it did is no surprise as GM had that air conditioning thing nailed.
A friend of mine had pretty much the same truck, it got pretty gas mileage but that's about it.

Sounds about right, and yeah, I believe the tranny is the 4L60E. The 4.8 comes on like a light switch at 4K, the shift point is 5,500, so there's this 1,500RPM window that if it gets dragged out of (and it does) then it becomes a real dog.

Was thinking rear end … my 2010 5.3L had 4.10 but would be a good example of a candidate for more speeds and 3.73

I have a fair number of posts but limited as an OP. One of my few OP's was posting examples of circa 2010 (or older) vehicles that might shine with 6 speed+ AT's …

New L83 brings more power and brings it early … I made that choice over known problems with FCA Hemi (only owned one new day Hemi) ~ and my dislike of my own 3.5L ecoboost (and it's complications) …
Did not want to waste even more money on larger GM engines and more bling.
No regrets with my choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back