Will you change your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it a garage queen?
Why don't you just use and enjoy it?
It's not as though its an investment increasing in value with each passing year of disuse, more like the opposite.
These are nice vehicles in their way and are a bit of an antidote to the ubiquitous BMW and Benz soccer mom mobiles one sees crowding every at least slightly upscale suburban street and mall.

Oil will be fine.

Charge the battery and check the tyre pressure. I would be more worried about flat spots forming on the tyres.

Get rid of it while it while it's worth something.

I'm sorry but that's just stupid to let it sit, is it a status symbol? Basically throwing money in the garbage.

Trolling.gif
maybe or maybe not,,,,u all sure were breathing hard to solve this one....Ok, who's our next contestant?

I understand taking care of a vehicle, but NEVER driving it is excessive and pointless.

Sitting can actually hurt a vehicle, and, in general, what is the point of having a vehicle if you never use it?

Just such a waste!

Maybe it's sitting in the second home at the local private yacht club or air-field, and he only needs it to go to town to get groceries when he flies, or boats in ... Or take clients out to look at the wild-flowers in the spring... Why he has the vehicle is none of our business.

The oil is the question ... I say it's fine. Leave it. Others will have some other opinions ...

What a bunch of judgmental [censored] we have on this site. Telling other what to do with their property - sheesh!

OP, two years is what I would consider the limit to the oil and filter... for no reason other that it is what I would feel comfortable with. It is extremely likely that it could go much longer.

With your usage, you could take it 3 years. I have done it for many years with a car driven very little. I never had an issue with any analysis I have had done.If you go for a good drive once in a while, you will burn off what little moisture would be present in the oil. Don't listen to the "arm chair quarterbacks" telling you to sell it.

Last edited:
I think oil would be fine as others have said. More to worry about would be the fuel, battery, coolant etc when stored for years.

Very low chance that anything bad will occur because of the oil being stored in the sump for a long time. Agree with BrocLuno about the water build up nonsense too. Sump is sealed and I can't see how any moisture could get in if it's being garaged all the time, away from the elements.

It's a well cooled or warmed garage depending on the weather. So no chance of moisture I think. I bought a battery tender to keep the batttery good. I have a new escalade platinum as my daily as well as a Mercedes SUV. I just wanted to keep it as I liked the design compared to the new evoqueness design. Also it's in my other home hence I couldn't even drive it locally where I found a shop that applied the xpel on my escalade. As for depreciating asset, I should have taken cared of my 2006 Mitsubishi evolution MR which somebody sold theirs in eBay for $137,950.00! I still have the original continental crosscontacts and might have to put it in stands but I warm it up one day every month outside the garage;). Yeah it's fully insured, with extended warranty in place as well as xm subscription! I know these vehicles will depreciate for a few years and eventually go up just because of its novelty and the lowest miles recorded. Not a problem.

How the [censored] does a thread asking should I change my oil after 100 miles go to, sell it you don’t use it enough, etc...

Has anyone ever thought that other members may have substationally more resources than the ones telling him/her to sell it? WOW S T F U!

I’ve got a 2006 CRF250X dirt bike sitting in my garage, in mint condition. Less than 8 hours on it in 11 years. Doesn’t hurt me any, paid for, and what do you know, sitting in the garage properly stored hasn’t taken a minute of life off of it. Still fires on the third kick like the day I bought it.

Last edited:
Believe it or not it still has the interior plastic protectors as I declined PDI when I bought it new in 2013. It's the last production build of the model where they added lots of extras like 360 cameras, special wheels and a 155 mph top speed.

Originally Posted By: asleepz
How the [censored] does a thread asking should I change my oil after 100 miles go to, sell it you don’t use it enough, etc...

Has anyone ever thought that other members may have substationally more resources than the ones telling him/her to sell it? WOW S T F U!

I’ve got a 2006 CRF250X dirt bike sitting in my garage, in mint condition. Less than 8 hours on it in 11 years. Doesn’t hurt me any, paid for, and what do you know, sitting in the garage properly stored hasn’t taken a minute of life off of it. Still fires on the third kick like the day I bought it.

I also have a 2003 Honda Pilot EXLRES with 229k miles and have used Mobil 1 since new and extended the interval to 15k miles. It still has the original engine and tranny. Original rotors and water pump. Yeah the dealer forgot to replace it on my second TB change and said it was still ok. They gave me a warranty letter to replace it for free. Blackstone confirmed 15k mile interval was ok.

I love our Pilot. The 92 Accord gets the most use now though. Roughly 20k a year. Was purchased from an old lady in 2006 with 28k miles.

Doesn't seem that crazy to me. I have well off family members who own homes out of the country in the Caribbean, and they have an SUV parked in their garage so they have something to drive.

It probably sees 500 miles a year for a BMW SUV.

The raw resource of petroleum stayed in the ground for > 100 M years or so. Refined and cleaned up, it can likely go another 1,000 w/o issue if it is not being used
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back