Will today's cars last 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
And you actually believe Chrysler will be there in 15 years to pay you, right?

Probably, but no one knows what the world in general will be like in 15 years. I thought about getting the warranty myself.

Chrysler has been 'married' to more partners than Mickey Rooney . . . anyone's guess if Chrysler will be around in any recognizable form in 15 years.

Hey, that’s my line only I used Liz Taylor.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
Basically yes. Say 15 years down the road the transmission takes a dump....

Still nothing terribly wrong with that. On occasion, Chrysler Canada has offered lifetime warranties on Cummins engines. Considering how some of those vehicles hold their value, that could be more troublesome to them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
And you actually believe Chrysler will be there in 15 years to pay you, right?

I've been hearing that silly nonsense since the 70's. There still here. And they'll be here long after we've all dissolved into dust. No one can predict the future. Their vehicles have been selling well, and are continuing to do so.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Basically yes. Say 15 years down the road the transmission takes a dump....

Still nothing terribly wrong with that. On occasion, Chrysler Canada has offered lifetime warranties on Cummins engines.

I originally was considering the Eco Diesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's not made by Cummins, but by Fiat I believe. But they didn't offer the unlimited time and mileage warranty with it. The farthest they would go out I believe was 7 years. That's nowhere near long enough. Especially when you consider most people buy a diesel for longevity. Not to mention much like everything from Mercedes and BMW, they are a financial ticking time bomb when they go out of warranty.

I don't drive enough miles to worry about fuel economy. Which very few people make up with a diesel anyway. Especially after you subtract the added cost on the purchase price. Even more so at today's reduced fuel cost. So after you add it all up, going diesel didn't make too much sense. I've got the same towing capacity, and better performance with the 5.7 HEMI V-8 anyway. If I could have gotten the same warranty, I might have considered it. But most likely after looking everything over, I still would have gone with the V-8.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Probably, but no one knows what the world in general will be like in 15 years. I thought about getting the warranty myself.

Chrysler Max Care will still sell it after the purchase. Albeit at a slightly higher cost. For me it made total sense when I bought the vehicle. It's just too expensive to gamble repair costs on today's expensive modern vehicles without it. It amounted to less than 5% of the cost of the vehicle. That's a small price to pay for what could easily amount to 2 decades of worry free driving.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: philipp10
I cannot understand why I would want a car to last that long. Safety technology is changing so quickly that an old car actually costs you more in higher insurance premiums...of course offset by the low depreciation of an old car. But overall, I want something no older than maybe 14 years.

What??

I've NEVER seen an older car be more expensive to insure than a newer car unless it is an expensive classic. The insurance companies insure your car based on the value. You can get certain discounts for safety features, but your older car won't cost you more because it is not as safe, not sure who told you that. Older cars are cheap to insure, plain and simple. Insurance premiums go up because of increases in accident risk, such the area you drive, age, previous accidents, how powerful your car is, etc.

Insurance companies base premiums around the probability that they will be paying out for damage to your vehicle.

Factually incorrect. My insurance went DOWN when I got my Vic. The ONLY reason it did was the Vic having ABS. When I replaced my Magnum with a Caprice, the overall premiums dropped, but the LIABILITY cost went UP, because the Caprice did not have the Mag's traction and stability control.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Chrysler has been 'married' to more partners than Mickey Rooney . . . anyone's guess if Chrysler will be around in any recognizable form in 15 years.

What does the amount of owners have to do with their financial viability, or longevity as a company? It doesn't. Look at Smith & Wesson. Since S&W sold their original interests 1965, they've been owned by Bangor Punta, Lear Siegler, Thompson PLC, Saf-T-Hammer, and finally American Outdoor Brands Corporation. They are no less than 165 years old, and last year had close to $1 BILLION in revenue, ($903 million in 2016), and are thriving.

The amount of owners a company has had, is in no way conducive to their financial success, or how long they will last. Today Smith & Wesson owns Crimson Trace, Thompson Center Arms, Gem Tech Silencers, Battenfeld Technologies, along with several other outdoor related companies. Chrysler, along with scores of other corporations have all done much the same in regards to their financial success over time. How many owners they've had means nothing.

[Especially when you consider most people buy a diesel for longevity.

Not anymore with all the emissions stuff on them.

I will revisit this thread in 20 years and post how things are going with my 2018 Corvette as I'm planning on keeping it for at least that long
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
I will revisit this thread in 20 years and post how things are going with my 2018 Corvette as I'm planning on keeping it for at least that long
smile.gif

Are you going to DD year round for those 20 years too?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It won't be a DD but it's going to be driven a lot, especially starting in 2022, that's when I retire and will be driving it down to Florida every winter so it will be a DD down there and when I'm in Ontario the rest of the year it will be taken on a lot of road trips. I figure for the first 5 years of it's life it will be driven about 7000 miles per year and from that point on it will probably see closer to 15,000 miles per year. So by my estimation it could have roughly 260,000 miles on it after 20 years. Should be fun!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It won't be a DD but it's going to be driven a lot, especially starting in 2022, that's when I retire and will be driving it down to Florida every winter so it will be a DD down there and when I'm in Ontario the rest of the year it will be taken on a lot of road trips. I figure for the first 5 years of it's life it will be driven about 7000 miles per year and from that point on it will probably see closer to 15,000 miles per year. So by my estimation it could have roughly 260,000 miles on it after 20 years. Should be fun!
smile.gif

Sounds like you're certainly putting it to the test.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's all driven by market demand. If there's a demand for rebuilt computers and modules, they'll be available.

And a lot of that depends on people's wages compared to the cost of new cars. If the cost of buying a new car is beyond most people's reach, then aftermarket parts availability will be good since people will be keeping their cars longer.

I wouldn't just assume that a few electronic gizmos would take you off the road either.

These days there seems to be more modularity. An important part suffers a failure at a relatively high mileage, but it can't be fixed.
Remember the Ford Probe? They disappeared from the road almost overnight. I understand that their transmissions gave out at 150k or so, and that was that. (Ford also isn't real good about stocking parts for discontinued models.)

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I did, 10 years ago. Everyone was like "oh that car has heated seats and all of this electronic gadetry that you'll HAVE TO GO TO THE DEALER TO REPAIR!"

and 20 years ago it was power window and door lock. I know people who buy manual for this reason. It turns out to be true for me, but I also acquired some DIY skill and am fairly comfortable junk yard shopping now too.

Ironically, I went to the junkyard and pulled manual regulators out of another car to replace my power windows with cranks when they failed. No problems since
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The Probe is not a Ford. Mechanically, it is 100% Mazda.

Was the Probe basically an MX6 in disguise?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The Probe is not a Ford. Mechanically, it is 100% Mazda.

Was the Probe basically an MX6 in disguise?

Essentially

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back