Will a dealer take a car back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally haven't returned a car I bought but I knew 2 people that have done that:

1) Decided not wanting the car anymore and told the dealer, she just dropped the key off and parked the car outside and walked away, told the financier that she walked away. The dealership freaked out, told the sales to sell the car quick, and come back to tell her that they sold it for a good price, that she didn't owe anything other than losing her down payment

2) Bought a car based on the assumption that the 0% deal is approved, then the dealer come out after all the paperwork that said it didn't get approved and he needs to pay 9% APR. He drove around for a few weeks trying to get the dealer to get it back or approve for the amount. Eventually he called the manufacture to clamp down on the dealer, and forced the dealer to take it back (he couldn't afford it on 9% but could afford it on 0%). Walked away with no loss, not even his down payment.

For a used car it would be tough because the manufacture will not be there to help, and if it is due to a bad repair it will be a repair problem rather than a car problem. That's why it is important to force them to fix everything before paying and taking the car. Good luck.

I do not know how to post pics. FAQ states "When creating a new thread or response, you'll see a "File Manager" link on the "Full Reply" or "New Post" page."

I do not see the FILE MANAGER.

Used cars are generally sold 'as is'. That means: it's yours, good luck, don't come back, see ya'.
You could talk to a lawyer to see where you stand, but it's likely you get crewed; no kiss, no thak you.

It came with a 60 day or 6000 miles warranty. It's a 2007. I could have purchased a certified Acura from an Acura dealer. Based on pass history with this dealer, I was comfortable buying a 2007 Acura TSX from them.

Last edited:
With the warranty they should fix your alignment but probably not the dents.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I personally haven't returned a car I bought but I knew 2 people that have done that:

1) Decided not wanting the car anymore and told the dealer, she just dropped the key off and parked the car outside and walked away, told the financier that she walked away. The dealership freaked out, told the sales to sell the car quick, and come back to tell her that they sold it for a good price, that she didn't owe anything other than losing her down payment

2) Bought a car based on the assumption that the 0% deal is approved, then the dealer come out after all the paperwork that said it didn't get approved and he needs to pay 9% APR. He drove around for a few weeks trying to get the dealer to get it back or approve for the amount. Eventually he called the manufacture to clamp down on the dealer, and forced the dealer to take it back (he couldn't afford it on 9% but could afford it on 0%). Walked away with no loss, not even his down payment.

For a used car it would be tough because the manufacture will not be there to help, and if it is due to a bad repair it will be a repair problem rather than a car problem. That's why it is important to force them to fix everything before paying and taking the car. Good luck.

In the 2nd case, letting the car roll before the financing was really approved is 100% the dealers issue.

Dealers can "spot" cars based on the expected approval of a buyers financing. In the case described, someone dropped the ball, or was trying to get over on him.

Seems the last laugh was his.

But the dealer didn't really take back a sold car either. Since the financing wasn't approved, they took back a car the essentially loaned him for a few weeks.

Depending on what they did with the Certificate of Origin, it may have still been considered a "new car."

If they sent the CoO for titling the car, etc, it became a used car.

I'm thinking the CO went nowhere for Title without a Lienholder. I bought a car that had 200 miles on it, dealer sold once for a couple days - Guy bought for his daughter, Daughter didnt want stick shift OR a sport Wagon (2005 Suzuki Aerio SX), guy brought car back (he prob got more of the shalfting than he though). The car was problematic design issues) but I really liked it for $13K. The title had owner 1 filled in with I recall 3 possible transfer signoffs on the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back