Will a dealer take a car back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a situation where I purchased a vehicle from a dealership and now I don’t want the vehicle anymore due to issues that are unresolved. Has anyone purchased a vehicle from a dealership and had the dealer take back the vehicle after 6 weeks?
This was my second vehicle that I purchased from this dealer. A friend of mine told me that this dealer was “squared away”. I purchased the first vehicle back in 2004; it was a 2000 Mercury Villager. This is a Chevy dealer. My second vehicle that I purchased from them was a 2007 Acura TSX. I purchased these vehicles at from a Chevy dealer because of my prior experience with them.
The vehicle was purchased on 5/12/2010 at 8PM and raining. I did this only because I trusted this dealer. During the test drive I noticed that the vehicle appeared to pull to the left.
5/13/2010 told dealer about the dent on the roof and trunk area. My salesmen said bring it in and we will take care of it. This was what I expected from his dealer. I told the salesmen that I understand that this is a used vehicle and minor scratches are to be expected, but dents are not.
On 5/14/2010, the vehicle was dropped off to the dealer for the alignment. Also left the car at the dealer for the paintless dent removal guy to work on the car.
The paintless dent removal guy did a horrible job; even the salesmen agreed it was bad. The dealer now agrees to have a body shop repair the damage. Body shop did a bad job on the trunk.
The dealer was willing to install an Acura Wind Deflector on the roof as compensation for the damage on the roof. Instead, they placed a non-slip floor cover on the roof (two strips). I told them that was unable acceptable. Now the salesman tells me he will personally that care of this. I go back in a few days and I see a wind deflector. This was one ugly wind deflector from Pepboys.
Now I am at a point where I am going to sue the dealer in small claims court for the proper repair of the vehicle or the option would be for the dealer to take the vehicle back. Is this even an option that the dealer will consider taking the vehicle back?

I would say that the paintless dent guy and the body shop should redo the repair as they should be covered under some sort of warranty they put on their own work.

Did you finance the car? If so, contact your finance company, tell them that you are having problems, and either want the car to be correct, or you don't want it anymore. They will generally put pressure on the dealer to resolve the problem.

They wont take the car back. Just keep following up with them. If you dont get things resolved - I would just bite your lip and live with it. UNnless you enjoy the small claims court process
25.gif

Last edited:
Since the repairs were done through the dealer, I think the dealer is responsible (like a general contractor). It will be tough to sue the paintless dent removal guy. He is probably a work out of your home type.

Can the finance company do anything? I did think they would get involved since they are just financing the car.

The dealer would never take the car back , I agree what bdcardinal said about.... "the repair should be covered under some sort of warranty they put on their own work."

My plan was to get an estimate at a body shop and have the dealer pay for the repairs if they are not will to take the car back. Cost of the repairs is what I plan to sue them for in small claims court.

They sound like they are trying to help, but in the end-you're pretty much screwed.

Spell out exactly what you want them to do (including how and when), so they can keep that "good" rep......

Yet another reason to hate "legally" crooked stealerships. They`re the biggest cowards in the sales business.

No. You should have had them fix the alignment before putting a cent down. You eroded your own bargaining position when you bought it. Your salesman is politely blowing you off hoping you'll go away.

Typical recourse, if you have an unsafe vehile that won't pass state inspection standards (NJ has them until 7/1 IIRC) you have a few days to force them to make it right.

If none of the agreed upon work was in writing when you made the deal on initial purchase I don't think you have much recourse w/ the dealer. It sounds as though the dealer has tried to live up to their verbal agreement, but it's the dent removl and body shop that haven't come through.

As was said earlier, since they seem to want to keep you happy as a repeat customer, write someone important at the dealer detailing exactly what you want done to alleviate the situation.

I think your best bet is to talk to the body shop and dentless guy to try to get them to warranty their work. As far as the dealership in SC court, I don't think you'll get anywhere as it'll be a he said- she said and nothing in writing. Add to that the dealer hasn't told you to pound sand(yet), and in fact is trying to help out.

no dealer will take the car back. the finance company will not pressure the dealer to fix the car, rather, they will pressure you to pay for the car.

A thorough pre-sale inspection should be done with all issues documented. you can try small claims court, but your position is only average.

I would recommend being pleasant and non-threatening with the dealer and seeing if you can get results. dealers heas all kinds of threats about courts, etc. and really aren't scared about it. most people dont follow through, and the court can lean towards the simple enforcement of a contract.

good luck.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
no dealer will take the car back. the finance company will not pressure the dealer to fix the car, rather, they will pressure you to pay for the car.

A thorough pre-sale inspection should be done with all issues documented. you can try small claims court, but your position is only average.

I would recommend being pleasant and non-threatening with the dealer and seeing if you can get results. dealers heas all kinds of threats about courts, etc. and really aren't scared about it. most people dont follow through, and the court can lean towards the simple enforcement of a contract.

good luck.

Excellent advice! Sadly, you are at the dealership's mercy...and frankly they could have told you to go pound salt when you came back the next day with the dents - which is what almost any other dealer would have done.

I have no intention of making any threats. I work in law enforcement and people tell me that they are going to sue me and all that. I usually tell them to please spell my name correctly in the lawsuit.

If I can not get the dealer to pay for the repairs at a body shop of my choice, I plan to file a complaint with the BBB and Angie's list. Then I will take it to small claims court. I don't really care about the money. It is the fact that I trusted this dealer and the salesman did nothing but fail to deliver what he promised. The dealer tactics were do the very least possible and have the customer come back over and over again until he is tried of this process. Then maybe the customer will just forget it and leave. This process is actually working because I am tried of dropped the car off to them. I have to coordinate with my wife to drop off and pick up the car with me.

If I do not get anything in the end, it will still be okay. After all it is just money. I am not saying that money is not important, but time with family is more important then all this headache. I will at least let as many people know about this on the internet as possible. It sure was an expensive lesson learned. Live and learn.

My bad dealer paint work ended up in court and it took Judge Kane about 2 minutes to decide in my favour. He's a car guy.

This was on a new car, I refuse to buy used.

How did the judge decide on your case? I guess it was based on the fat it was a new car. Since my car is used and I do not have the agreement of repairs in writing, I may have a tough time. I am basing it on the fact that physical repairs were done and that the repairs were poor. By the dealer actually making the repair, does this proof that they agree to do the repair. Now that the repair is poor, are they responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back