Why the push for Autonomous driving?

You are required to pay monthly to drive your car even if you already paid it off, it is called insurance, tax, regular emission or safety inspection, etc. It doesn't stop people from driving. People also had the option to buy out a car feature (unless it is some stupid Mercedes butt warmer feature for subscription), or finance it with a loan or lease, and there are people financing a car with a loan or lease.

Self driving if done right also reduce insurance premium, so you can say either pay the car company (one time to buy, or monthly via subscription or financing), or pay the insurance company.

Eventually people will develop aftermarket self driving kit with the KFC bucket (spinning camera and Lidar from above) mount on roof rack, and plug into the CAN bus of the car to drive it. So if you don't want to pay for it monthly or buy a new car, you can upgrade an old one with these KFC bucket kit.
Insurance will never go down. Rates are determined by hurricanes,tornados, floods etc., not just driving.

Insurance will never go down. Rates are determined by hurricanes,tornados, floods etc., not just driving.
Depends on which aspect of insurance. The liability part would go down for self driving but obviously the natural disaster aspect would not be any different. I was sent a check during pandemic that's about 10% of my insurance premium due to the lack of road traffic in general.

IMHO autonomous cars is another push to end ownership of personal property.
I really don't see how autonomous driving has anything to do with personal ownership. I do think that could be a problem, but a separate issue.

I'm really considering buying a manual just so my car has one thing less it's doing for me. I shouldn't have been playing with new toys yesterday, I think it's about it get expensive. 😂

They started with small things, heated seats by subscription, home link, etc, and eventually car use will be by subscription when you pay for use and not ownership.

They started with small things, heated seats by subscription, home link, etc, and eventually car use will be by subscription when you pay for use and not ownership.
Will the younger generation that this will affect care that much about ownership? They don't seem to care that much about vehicles. They just want to get where they're going. The times they are a changing.

When you have to pay 1.25%-2% property tax on your home, do you really own it or are you just leasing it from someone collecting the tax? What about HOA? do you really own a place if you have to pay HOA? Can you tear down your condo alone if your other neighbors refuse to?

About cars. I think the existence of leasing and financing makes it affordable, and people choose it, that means people don't really mind. Self driving cars you own is still yours, you can use it and refuse to let others use it. You can rent a car you drive manually, but you have to return afterward, that still means you don't own it and you are just borrowing it for a cost.

About butt warmer for subscription, you can buy a car that refuse to do stuff like that, like, a Camry. Mercedes just look stupid to put in butt warmer for free to people refusing to subscribe, they should just raise the price and include it as a package or just don't install it.

Just like some cars are for lease only (i.e. Honda Clarity Electric) because the manufacturer refuse to sell it to someone for liability reason (they build a car that only last 4 years to meet regulation, and don't want to be on the hook for 15-20 years later or destroy their reputations), but there are other cars out there for purchase. Self driving is not something to do with ownership.

p.s. It is smart to not own something that is poorly designed, and let the owner deal with its. In the case of a car, if I know it is a lemon I'd rather just lease it and let the designer / manufacturer deal with it and take its own consequence. (Vinfast anyone?)

Personally, I think property tax is extortion, and I'm one who pays it as there is no choice in this country. We pay very high taxes here in Canada, income tax is over 35%, sales tax here is 12%, then if one makes profit on investment it gets taxed again, second hand car sales are taxed every time the car is sold... Tax on tax many times over and over. I know Canadians who actually left for Mexico and happy with their decision 2 years later.

The occupant is always responsible for the operation of the vehicle. No different than driving around with bad brakes. The real question is whether the occupant can receive compensation from the automaker for self-driving errors. My guess is it will end up being a negative.

Non occupant here, cars recalled, car ran back and forth over the pedestrian a couple times

What happens when all insurance leaves a market with mandatory insurance but none-exists? (As is being threatened in dozens of markets across the country)

What happens when all insurance leaves a market with mandatory insurance but none-exists? (As is being threatened in dozens of markets across the country)
People will still need insurance so the local government will create a public insurance option. It will probably cost double or more. Then the private companies will come back into the market and give everyone a 5% discount from the new rate.

Probably because drivers today are too busy doing other things while they're driving...nobody pays attention to their driving anymore...

There's always going to be a driver side or someone who has control of vehicle operation. So if some idiot decides to use the Tesla parking feature on a public street and the car rolls through a stop sign, the individual who has the ability to control the car is responsible.

It's no different and someone forgetting to engage a parking brake.
Your assumption is that there's going to always be controls in a vehicle for the occupant to use. That very likely will not be the case. It'll be get in, verify that you have authority to be using the vehicle, tell the vehicle where you wanted to go, verify that everyone who's going to go on the trip is in the vehicle and tell the vehicle to start the trip. It's very well may not have any occupant steering control, any for the occupant to increase or decrease the speed, although there may be ability for emergency situations or changing of Route while in route.

Essentially the amount of control the occupant will end up having will be very similar to the amount of control one has when riding in the backseat of a taxi cab, regardless of where they are sitting in the vehicle.

Your assumption is that there's going to always be controls in a vehicle for the occupant to use. That very likely will not be the case. It'll be get in, verify that you have authority to be using the vehicle, tell the vehicle where you wanted to go, verify that everyone who's going to go on the trip is in the vehicle and tell the vehicle to start the trip. It's very well may not have any occupant steering control, any for the occupant to increase or decrease the speed, although there may be ability for emergency situations or changing of Route while in route.

Essentially the amount of control the occupant will end up having will be very similar to the amount of control one has when riding in the backseat of a taxi cab, regardless of where they are sitting in the vehicle.
You forgot the part where the government AI (code name Big Brother) decides if you're permitted to go where you want to go.

It's not a monthly subscription unless you choose to do that instead of just paying for the option once and being done with it.
That option is quickly going the way of the dodo bird. Heck, there’s now a monthly subscription to unlock full power mode on BMWs!?!

You’re gonna have the only option to pay monthly, or not get anything at all. Period.

"Why the push for Autonomous driving?"
Because human error wasn't causing enough problems, they wanted to throw electronic and mechanical failure into the mix.

With autonomous vehicles, do owners need driver's licenses?

The "Smart Summon" can still roll through a stop sign.... so who/what gets points on their license for moving violations?

Pretty sure this video has been posted and discussed on BITOG before

Wasn't my fault officer, the car did it. It has been back talking and sassing me lately.

Back