Why so little respect for Brad Penn Penn Grade 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick 16,
I researched the VOAs from the past and I found a Brad Penn Racing 10w-30 from Dec. '07. It actually had 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorous. I'll let you know when my 40 wt. analysis comes in.

Originally Posted By: KA426
The Valvoline VR-1 looks really nice.

Can you post a link to that VOA you found?

Vavoline is #1 in race oil sales. There may be a reason..

thanks

Sorry, no luck copying. It's on page 7 of the VOAs if you want to take a look at it. It's 10w-30 and the poster is Keithly.

KA426, we started getting this stuff here in Australia, mainly the 20W50 Racing version like the bottle posted previosly. Does it have the higher levels or additives or not ? Only one supplier and i have to get them to mail it to me, 12 quarts for $55 Ozzie dollars. Just to mail it instead of getting oil from a store, it needs to be worth it.

Looks the same junk to me. Less no extra IRON lol
Scan002November082007.jpg

braddpenvoa009711920w50qs5.jpg

Last edited:
All I know is the VOA I found on page seven looked more like it. Hopefully my 40 wt. VOA will be in by the end of next week and the mystery will be solved.

All I know is the VOA I found on page seven looked more like it.

post the link or better directions to it
this was from the spot you said to go.

That two that look about the same
wink.gif

My long awaited Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 40 wt. analysis by Blackstone Labs 8/19/08.

Kris: No problems showed up in this sample of virgin 40W engine oil. The additives are suitable for gasoline or diesel use. No moisture was present and the trace of insolubles isn't a concern. The viscosity was in the upper 40W range, which is typical for an unused oil of this type. The normal 40W range is roughly 70-82 SUS. Sodium, calcium, and magnesium are all detergent/dispersant type additives, while phosphorous and zinc are anti-wear additives. Silicon is likely a little anti-foaming additive. This is serviceable oil and should treat your engine(s) well.

Al 0
Cr 0
Fe 1
Cu 0
Pb 0
Tn 0
Moly 1
Ni 0
Mn 0
S 0
T 0
K 1
B 3
Si 8
Na 241
Ca 1634
Mg 582
Ph 1350
Zn 1595
Ba 1

SUS Viscosity@210*F 78.1
cSt Viscosity@100*C 15.05
Flashpoint in F 430

looks nice, but wish it had about 50-75 moly in it.

gotta wonder about their background scatter though.
fe 1, k 1, b 3, si 8, ba 1 ???

i promise you. send in another voa from the same bottle this one came out of, but wait till october to do it. and the results will differ!

Quick 16 (Ya Beach Bum),
Are you satisfied now that Penn Grade 1 is a real race oil?

You say that as if I had manufactured the oil test data I posted and had an ax to grind. This is a way different blend. I guess my comment is:
did they reformulate it or is normal for the SAE 40W?

I have no desire to run the oil, but that would be a fair question to BP from anyone using it. Why is this sample different than the 2007 one and mine? The concern is from box to box or weight to weight you would not know what you have.

Beyond that I'm truley not qualified to say it's better or worse than the VR-1 or Shaffer's. The Mg, Si and Na content is way different than the oils I use.

All that said, I wish you luck with it and your racing program. It's been a great discussion.

Thanks, buddy and keep in touch once in a while on here. I've enjoyed conversing with you. Brad Penn MAY have totally reformulated their line of race oils in the last year. Who really knows?

KA426. To set the record straight, i think a VOA for 20W50 or whatever other multigrade was tested before would be needed to prove the claimed levels. Im very keen on this oil, but it needs some consistent evidence, the test that showed the reduced levels is the exact one i would try.

If I can catch the Brad Penn salesman the next time he comes into the local Napa where my dad works, I'll see if he can set me up with a quart of 20w-50 racing oil. Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back