Why Quick Oil Changes Suck (per Toyota)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
A Toyota-affiliated site

Olathe Toyota is a Toyota dealer in Olathe, Kansas. This information does not come from Toyota.
Oh come on! It comes from an affiliate!
There is affiliation afoot! There is also agency involved. These terms are significant as far as business law goes.

Now with the trend of plastic oil pans(glass-filled nylon) in new Ford and VW engines, will a lube monkey or dealership lube tech muscle those on with just his bare hands or with a cordless impact driver?

Originally Posted By: nthach
Now with the trend of plastic oil pans(glass-filled nylon) in new Ford and VW engines, will a lube monkey or dealership lube tech muscle those on with just his bare hands or with a cordless impact driver?
Uhhm, I'll wait a few yrs to see how this innovation pans out
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Doesn't surprise me. Even at a real dealer the oil change guy is usually one of the least experienced "pros" there.

All our GM fleet shuts off instantly if oil pressure is lost. Had an idiot employee run right over a landscaping stone and blew a chunk out of a cast aluminum pan. Engine stopped instantly, no internal damage.
Lube oil dude is the last guy in the door. I tried for years at our power generation station to have management mandate that all maintenance supervisors sign off on all work assigned to mechanics and that the computer generated PMs be done by more experienced people. No luck in twenty some years. Probably still going on today. This practice led to many mechanical failures but no one was held accountable. Just one such costly incident: PM on coal conveyor backstop and overrunning clutches called for Lubriplate AERO. This grease is specified by Formsprag because sprag type clutches will be damaged by the use of grease with an EP additive. The EP additive will cause the sprags to slip on the race and the unit will destroy itself (as in burned up). Didn't take long to determine what caused this FUBAR. Dude with the grease gun didn't bother to wipe zerks clean and the grease he used wasn't white. No one knew anything and the screw ups continued. No accountability. A large conveyor backstop cost big $$$. What really was hard to understand was the fact that some of those maintenance supervisors were Navy submarine veterans.
mad.gif

I recently changed the oil on a friend's 2008 Honda Pilot who has seen dealer service exclusively until my work. I had to use a hammer on a 12" breaker bar to get the drain plug loose. Aluminum oil pan, in retrospect I shouldn't have touched it. Torqued it to 29 FT/LB.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: nthach
Uhhm, I'll wait a few yrs to see how this innovation pans out
grin2.gif

This is nothing new. AMC was using plastic valve covers on the 258 IIRC over 35 yrs ago. They were fine, they lasted and IIRC were not prone to leaking until some of them hit almost 30 yrs old and then most probably due to incorrect torque which was very low. They did lower under the hood temps a good bit and rubber hoses that went over them lasted a lot longer than if it were steel or aluminum.
AMC is one company I wish had stayed in business, they made some good solid cars along with the quirky ones.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
well if Toyota says it must be gospel. jk

I feel like everywhere you go there can be cases like this. As mentioned, dealership techs who do oil changes are sometimes not the best either. I feel like the quality is in the technician and not where they work.

IKR? What a lame butt 3 point list of FUD, too.
Let me guess Mr. Toyota affiliate, always go to your Genuine Toyota Dealer for a Genuine Toyota Oil Change with Genuine Toyota factory-warranty approved serevice with quality, genuine, Genuine Toyota Parts, right? You risk poor customer service and a stripped drain plug. LOL get lost. Toyota 'affiliate' so hungry for margins on routine, staple, basic engine maintenance is crying wolf and picking an easy target; quick lubes.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Maybe the shill is a little butt pained?
Top kek. A shill I ain't.

To be honest I just wanted to post the picture of the dirty oil being poured into the engine.
I had to construct a thread narrative to go around it, hence the discussion about quickie lewb joints.
Here is it again.
Haha

... I don't even remember how I stumbled across that site. Oh, ok I remember now. I was looking for reference material on oil blot coloring for blupupher's thread. This site had an article about it. A little light on details, but enough to chew on for a moment. Then I saw the funny picture, and here's the thread, complete with your high blood pressure rant.

My plastic valve cover has steel threaded inserts where the bolts go.

Speaking of over tightening things... I worked for a while as an electrician at a soybean processor. They were building a Bio Diesel production room. Me and my fellow electricians were advised to make all the pneumatic connections for the electrical sensors. Most was just standard tapered pipe fittings.

Well my fellow workers were young and inexperienced, the foreman was a electronics guy. I was tightening down my pipe fittings getting a good seal with some pipe dope and leaving a couple threads exposed. But was told it was not tight enough as there were still threads exposed. When I explained they were tapered threads they had no idea of what that was.

So I was told to bottom them all out.......

In our dealership group, one of the warranty clerks saw how much the techs were making and decided to start spinning wrenches. He used to put the oil drain bolts back in with his 1/2" impact.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

... I don't even remember how I stumbled across that site. Oh, ok I remember now. I was looking for reference material on oil blot coloring for blupupher's thread. This site had an article about it. A little light on details, but enough to chew on for a moment. Then I saw the funny picture, and here's the thread, complete with your high blood pressure rant.

Oh yeah hilarious picture! I mean if the 3 point list wasn't compelling enough, maybe Jiffy Lube is pouring old oil into your engine too!
happy2.gif
Oooo nooooo

But seriously, it's okay. Relax. No one's trying to get you. It's just that such an 'article' stinks so badly of shill FUD it BEGS to be exposed
lol.gif
Imagine if Mr Affiliate was reading this, I'd imagine he'd have a legit reason to flip.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
In our dealership group, one of the warranty clerks saw how much the techs were making and decided to start spinning wrenches. He used to put the oil drain bolts back in with his 1/2" impact.
eek.gif

Dealership techs LOVE their impact tools - especially now with the proliferation of affordable cordless impacts you can get at Home Depot or Amazon, no paying the tool truck weekly. The guys at the dealership I spent time as a detailer/porter used their impact drivers a lot for spark plugs and interiors.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Oh yeah hilarious picture! I mean if the 3 point list wasn't compelling enough, maybe Jiffy Lube is pouring old oil into your engine too!
happy2.gif
Oooo nooooo

I think that was part of the point of his original post, in the first place. Dealers ridiculing quick lubes is a bit of a pot-kettle scenario, to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

All our GM fleet shuts off instantly if oil pressure is lost. Had an idiot employee run right over a landscaping stone and blew a chunk out of a cast aluminum pan. Engine stopped instantly, no internal damage.

How does one rig this up?

All included in the stock PCM. Has been that way for quite a while, and it is not exclusive to GM, either.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

How does one rig this up?
An off delay timer triggered by the oil light and a normally closed relay set up to kill the engine control relay would do this.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is true, as soon as you throw flat rate into the mix all sorts of fun stuff happens.

I'd agree. Here, the dealers generally offer oil changes much cheaper than the quick lubes (i.e. 35 to 40% cheaper). So, given that, which one has a greater incentive to use jobber filters, bulk oil, and engage in upsells? A place called the Great Canadian Oil Change, at least the local operations, uses Valvoline products (oil, other fluids, and filters; they used to use Hastings) and Amsoil. An ordinary oil change can run close to $70, where dealers are doing it for under $40 on occasion. The dealers play the "maintain your warranty game" and the quick lubes have to fight that. My beef is that these places tend to consolidate filter choices, using a non-specified filter, and one probably of Purolator lineage. Your ask for a 5w-30 in a 5w-20 option, and they want you to sign a phonebook full of waivers. They put on a non-specified filter, and you don't even know it unless you check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back