Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Mark888

I don't think that sale prices or rebates are relevant to this thread, which is about why Royal Purple so expensive.

Somebody brought up oil prices...so I just added that in. Even without the rebate QHP is $18/5qt and QTP is $9/5qts. So RP is almost 5 times as expensive than the QTP. Any price is relevant to me since I buy 1-2 years worth. RP is so ridicuously expensive I would never consider spending that kind of money on it. Just foolish IMO.

You can find it cheap online. Roughly $6 a quart if you buy in quantity. gallon jugs, 12qt packs ect.

$6 is double what I am willing to pay for synthetic oil. $3 is my absolute limit except for Amsoil which is worth the premium IMO. If I am going to spend $6/qt I'll just get a PC license and get Amsoil on-line shipped to the office. Amsoil is the only oil on the market worth the additional $$. Especially when it comes to gear oils. And no I do not sell it.

I called Autozone one time and asked if they had the Royal Purple on clearance and the he said, "What's Royal Purple?". Even the auto parts guys have no clue what it is.
crackmeup2.gif
They did have some though in the back, as I could clearly hear someone yelling from a distance to the dude on the phone.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Mark888
and there have been reports of problems with RP certifications

Just to be clear, as the above highlighted statement is inaccurate, there have been no questions concerning any of RP's actual API certifications

He didn't say API.
wink.gif

There actually was a problem with claims of API certifications, but it was minor. The significant problem was with their claims of ILSAC certification. From http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm :
Quote:
NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

What minor issues with API? People keep doing this kind of thing. BE SPECIFIC please. RP doesn't claim API certification they do not actually have. Please provide me a link that shows they claimed an API certification, or that there were/are issues with current actual certifications, please other than this one link that is being beat to death about the BP/NAD thing. Big issue or minor issues I don't care but show them to me. Needs to be more than sour grapes from a competitor as well whining and crying about marketing claims.

I have never seen RP claim ILSAC certification nor certifications for other things they don't have? Meet spec's maybe but claim certification it does not have - never seen it. Not saying it is untrue because I can't say that with 100% certainty but I have never seen them outright lie which that would be.

I would have to actually see the on paper claims( advertisement, TV commercials, on their web site, etc... )to believe it. That link does not convince me that they made false claims about API anyway( maybe ILASC ). 2nd hand info like that link is not proof. I would like to see the info BP used to win this or some actual links to hard irrefutable proof RP has lied or had ANY issues with API certification claims other than challenges to them using meets and people thinking it is them saying certified.

Please expand on these minor issues/problems RP has had with API certification. I really want to see it. Not just hear it - proof please.

Last edited:
for what it is worth I have Royal Purple literature that claims their engine oils are good for 12,000 miles, that should offset the cost at $9 a quart.
Back in the day I started with Royal Purple and I saw a immediate difference in my 428 Cobra jet engine. I had to lower the engine Idle 300 rpm, I was sold on synthetic oils, right then and there!
when it was time for a new batch of oil, I found that AMSOIl was cheaper so I went that direction!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
What minor issues with API? People keep doing this kind of thing. BE SPECIFIC please.

I'm sure you would agree that it'd be silly to go looking for a link to a claim that RP agreed to discontinue immediately.

The article I linked states that Royal Purple was claiming "general" API/ILSAC certification, without sufficiently specifying WHICH API specs they were complying with, and without being ILSAC certified at all. If Royal Purple was not making such claims, that would mean the NAD and everyone who published their findings were lying. In that case, I think you should call up Royal Purple and suggest that they raise a fuss about it.

This argument about API specifications is a red herring anyway. You're diverting the argument from the real issue: Royal Purple lied about what certifications they had, period. That was the point to begin with. Why are you trying to make it into something else?

All the *true* synthetics are in this price range that I`ve seen. I`ll pay premium price for a genuine synthetic. But if I`m not wanting a group IV/V oil,I`ll just run a group II dino.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
All the *true* synthetics are in this price range that I`ve seen. I`ll pay premium price for a genuine synthetic. But if I`m not wanting a group IV/V oil,I`ll just run a group II dino.

Schaeffers 9000 on my doorstep for $5.65 per quart.

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand

That's very nice. The best price I can find is 6.00/qt and that's locally.

Man that sounds like a heckuva deal!
11.gif

Royal Cabbage? Whew, I'd hate to take a whiff of their gear oil.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob_B
Back in the 50s and 60s I used to purchase an oil named "Royal Triton". It was purple and had a strange smell...kind of like cooked cabbage. Was this oil the precursor of the modern Royal Purple?

Man that sounds like a heckuva deal!
11.gif

We both are in South Texas. I get it from the regional Shaeffers sales rep out of San Antonio. You can also get it from Lesters Automotive in Boerne, Texas.

I'm sure you would agree that it'd be silly to go looking for a link to a claim that RP agreed to discontinue immediately.

Sorry but no I don't agree. You and others keep making claims that RP is having certification issues. Other than the one link being beaten to death in regards to BP/NAD no one is backing these claims up. If you are going to trash a company and make such claims you should be prepared to back them up with some kind of proof otherwise it is just a personal opinion and borderline heresay.

The article I linked states that Royal Purple was claiming "general" API/ILSAC certification, without sufficiently specifying WHICH API specs they were complying with, and without being ILSAC certified at all. If Royal Purple was not making such claims, that would mean the NAD and everyone who published their findings were lying. In that case, I think you should call up Royal Purple and suggest that they raise a fuss about it.

I have questioned repeatedly how accurate this info is reported in this link everyone is so keen on relying on as completely accurate. As I have said countless times being a loyal RP guy I read everything I can on them. I have seen a lot of claims to MEET spec's they are not certified as meeting yet I have never seen actual claims of being certified when they are not. That is a BIG difference. I am simply asking all the detractors and RP bashers to show me where I am wrong and show me where they are making these false statements. I don't think that is asking too much. I want to see where they( RP )have said their oils are generally "certified" API/ILASC.

I want to be sure they actually said THAT and be sure it isn't a misquote when they actually said their oils generally "meet" API/ILASC spec's because I have seen that statement used by them. Again, there is a big difference between the two and claiming to MEET something you are not certified to is NOT a crime. If they actually claimed they are generally certified ILASC and they have no certifications at all then yes that is a lie and they should be called on it. Make no mistake I don't defend lying but I want to be sure a lie was made before condemning them. Even if they did lie it does not effect the quality of their oil. If it did one of the most popular oil companies on this site, that twists/manipulates the facts repeatedly as a practice, with the complete approval of the BITOG masses for the most part, would be in real trouble. Why hold RP to a different standard? If it is OK for brand XXXXXX why is it not for RP?
21.gif

This argument about API specifications is a red herring anyway. You're diverting the argument from the real issue: Royal Purple lied about what certifications they had, period. That was the point to begin with. Why are you trying to make it into something else?

Sir, I have turned this into nothing it already isn't. I contend people are making claims unsupported by the facts. I am saying in my 2 some decades dealing with the company I have not seen them make false certification claims. I am asking that those here claiming they lied as you say provide some links/documentation showing those false claims. Not just a summary of some case where we don't see the actual evidence so we only get 2nd hand quotes and comments. If your sole proof to back up saying RP lies is that one article/link you have very little to base it on.

21.gif

And another thing. This thread was about the cost of RP not that BP/NAD marketing claims mess. Others took it there.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
NHHEMI, you don't seem to be reading others' posts as attentively as you apparently expect others to read yours, judging by the length of your posts. I've made my point. I'm going to leave it there.

NHHEMI, you don't seem to be reading others' posts as attentively as you apparently expect others to read yours, judging by the length of your posts. I've made my point. I'm going to leave it there.

crackmeup2.gif
I am glad you post on here, I would laugh a lot less if you didn't post.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Why is Royal Purple so expensive when it isn't any better than other oils you can buy in any store?

Small company having difficulty competeing with the other syn oil manufacturers...so in the middle of the biggest recession in 25 years they raise their prices? Maybe they figure they can set themselves apart as a "top shelf" oil by having a "top shelf" price. But if that is the case...why sell it at Walmart? Kind of confusing to me?
21.gif

Thats a bit harsh, ROyal Purple have always been expensive, not only in the recession......

Is it true RP was used by Prince Charles to lube the horse and cart ?

Last edited:

I have read everything you posted and have no trouble understanding/comprehending it. I wonder if you need to think more on what you are saying if you feel I am not getting it? I am simply asking you back up your claims RP lied. If you are going to make such a bold statement than back it up. If all you have to do so is that one link then branding RP as liars and claiming they have certificatin issues makes you look bad. You of all people should not criticize the length of my posts. I have seen some 1st class novels from you.
LOL.gif

End it, continue it, whatever. Just be prepared to back up what you say when those comments are so controversial. Otherwise maybe you shouldn't say them.

Best of luck. No hard feelings. I am not upset and am trying to remain civil and discuss it as an adult. Again, just asking you back up your claims and in the process show me that I am wrong. Not sure why you think I am doing more?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back