Why ICE is here to stay for some time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is telling interview by CEO of Renault:
China is limiting export of raw materials

China has a monopoly on a lot of raw materials, and they are limiting exports.
This is why all those bans on EVs will be postponed, as the EU will be able to go all EVs only if they surrender their market.
Short of some major battery breakthroughs that would make China just another supplier, expect all those ICE bans to be postponed.

This is why all those bans on EVs will be postponed, as the EU will be able to go all EVs only if they surrender their market.
Short of some major battery breakthroughs that would make China just another supplier, expect all those ICE bans to be postponed.
That´s true, but not the only reason.

That's one of the reasons Janet Yellen made a trip there. A waste of time IMO, but we shall see. The US better wake up, that's all I can say.

There comes a point where you risk writing so much, that you end up wasting half a morning tying all the pieces together.

I'll just say this. The main reason why solid-state batteries are so important, is that their material composition is already cheap and easily available globally. It will also likely result in a lot less lithium required for an EV battery.

Here's one link and here's another. If I end up writing about it for a major publication, I'm going to call it The Toyota Project. Other manufacturers are pursuing variations, but Toyota has the ability to mass produce these batteries for an already popular product line.

Only Tesla and Toyota have the foundation for making a new battery technology endure and become mainstream.

Please expound.
I’ll toss my 2 cents in. EVs don’t “solve” any energy crisis, they simply move it out of most peoples’ neighborhoods (NIMBY’s rejoice!). EVs not only will exponentially tax the already shabby grid, they’re still using plenty of hydrocarbon-based fuels to generate electricity to feed them.

On top of that, lithium and other precious elements absolutely destroy the landscape and will be multitudes of times harder to police environmentally, to the detriment or destruction of ecosystems around them. And where is all the battery waste going to go, and remediation plans after a mine is closed will probably be shuffled onto the taxpayer.

This isn’t even going into the ethics of “mandates” and artificially crippling capitalism. The loss of freedoms is usually gently sloped and soft underfoot… probably not coincidentally, exactly the same style path that leads one into a life of sin.

If we want to see significant reductions in carbon released into the atmosphere then personal transportation is an obvious target.
With EVs, we still get to go where we want when we want in our own personal cars.
By mandating EVs, governments can guarantee a market for them and all the needed tech and infrastructure to support this guaranteed market will follow.
As always, money rules and the money will be spent on EVs. I know we'll see a lot of whataboutism and other gaslighting, but the reality is that EVs are the future of personal transportation.

I’d say it’s the biggest scam since whatever the legacy media was spouting yesterday, but yes, both the scams (lies) you mentioned certainly have endurance, don’t they?
I won't link the article because it will ruffle feathers here, but there was a recent hail storm that caused severe damage to a solar farm in Nebraska a few weeks ago. It will cost a ton of money to fix and shows that solar is not as good as some people believe to be. Once again the electric has to come from somewhere to power all these cars and appliances for the people trying to make this green transition happen. 2035, good luck, fossil fuel is going to be around a lot longer than they think, along with ICE.

In Europe for EV to be mainstream, there has to be technology that will allow vehicle like Opel Corsa, Ford Fiesta etc. be built as EV, have range 400mls, and cost $20k.
Same goes here.
My point is that 2035 is too optimistic and we will see policy backtracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back