Why I Buy New Blades vs Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure you didn't have them on the wrong Pony and they were used as tines????
grin.gif

I use gator blades on my JD. Got two sets and they are over 15 years old. I usually swap them half way through the mowing year.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
What is a TB Pony? Is it a rider..... a push?... what?

I think he means a troy-built pony.

It is a Tiller.
shocked.gif
Has the bolo tines.

Regarding his mower, the LawnRanger must not be aware of the consequences of "rode hard and put away wet", LOL. Every horseman knows that rule.

I mowed with one of these back in the day :

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

It is a Tiller.
shocked.gif
Has the bolo tines.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Pony-17-5-HP-Manual-Gear-42-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability-Kit-Sold-Separately/1000178957?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-RidingMowers-_-1000178957:Troy-Bilt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000178957&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=387&k_clickID=0584fc0e-4637-4097-83a0-be929275e188&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxN_XBRCFARIsAIufy1ZY279LSfd2ZUn-uribvUZBP_uc8ub47dZKeSRVxWxLTiJBb8r3QOwaAq9vEALw_wcB

043033578047.jpg

When I worked at Lowes I saw many blades like that. I thought of creating a museum of blades showing the severely damaged as well as the abused, overworked. Ever seen a blade bent in half after hitting a cast iron pipe? I have.

Why not sharpen? I owned a lawn cutting service for years, sharpened my blades daily on my machines. I also own a mower repair shop and I sharpen blades. I also balance them.

But you can't use a bench grinder, it puts a concave bevel on the edge thinning the edge. The best is a hand held electric grinder using a flat grinding disk. It puts a nice angled bevel on the blade.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Wow - you have the deluxe model! Mine doesn't have the grass catcher...

Neither does mine
grin.gif
. I only have grass in my modest sized front yard. Unfortunately it's hilly and has a large maple tree that after 40 years the roots have surfaced even more. They would kill a gas mower in no time, I initially had a gas mower so I speak from experience. Besides it's good exercise for a 64 year old
lol.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:

It is a Tiller.
shocked.gif
Has the bolo tines.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Pony-17-5-HP-Manual-Gear-42-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability-Kit-Sold-Separately/1000178957?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-RidingMowers-_-1000178957:Troy-Bilt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000178957&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=387&k_clickID=0584fc0e-4637-4097-83a0-be929275e188&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxN_XBRCFARIsAIufy1ZY279LSfd2ZUn-uribvUZBP_uc8ub47dZKeSRVxWxLTiJBb8r3QOwaAq9vEALw_wcB

043033578047.jpg

That is stupid, same name as the Tiller? What kind of marketing is this?

043033573943.jpg

It is a Tiller.
shocked.gif
Has the bolo tines.

043033578047.jpg

Wow. When I look at that lawn tractor I picture a bunch of bean counters saying to a team of engineers: "build a riding mower as cheap as you possibly can that will still drive and cut grass".

Not all blades are created equal. The blades in the OP are obviously cheap ones that were used well beyond their lifespan.

I have a set of Oregon gators on a few different machines going on a few years now. They are heavy duty and hold up extremely well and can be sharpened multiple times.

My grandfather mows 7 acres weekly with his Scag 3-wheel mower. His field has some rough areas, and he was replacing cheap blades constantly. Even the cheap blades were $18 a pop. I put some Gators on there and have been sharpening them once a year for the last 3 years or so. The blades were more expensive initially, but provide a better cut and have lasted much longer, saving money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back