P.F. YouTube video ( 13:39 ) : '23 Best lawn mower blade sharpener ? $9 > $1,200 .

I have this Craftsman Bench Grinder for 15+ years which I bought some $50.00 on sale at Sears. Very dependable tool. The best mower blade sharpener for me.

cbb92ecd-d873-43bc-864b-44f228f4578f_1.8ae6df2aeac717c1f1591b3785ab291d.jpeg

My Brother had this expensive magnetic bearing Balancer. It mounted on the wall and held the blade vertically. We could get it to where a small piece of paper, like a 2" square would make it start to rotate. But when we flipped the blade over it would show off-balance. ????? We even moved some magnetic lid parts holder things he had just in case they were too close. I just used my $3 cone.

My Brother had this expensive magnetic bearing Balancer. It mounted on the wall and held the blade vertically. We could get it to where a small piece of paper, like a 2" square would make it start to rotate. But when we flipped the blade over it would show off-balance. ????? We even moved some magnetic lid parts holder things he had just in case they were too close. I just used my $3 cone.
Old school trick I learned from my late father, he just hang the center of the blade on a nail or a screw tucked into the wall to balance. That's what I do it now. Work wonders

Last edited:
Old school trick I learned from my late father, he just hang the center of the blade on a nail or a screw tucked into the wall to balance. That's what I do it now. Work wonders
That’s how I was taught to do it as well. Bench grinder and a nail. Although I’ve learned to not make it razor sharp as the curls the blade.

I find a angle grinder and flap disc works great but I have to admit, I’ve never balanced a blade. Is this something I should be doing?

I use a right angle air grinder with a coarse flap disk. Have used an angle grinder as well but it's not as controllable.

I find a angle grinder and flap disc works great but I have to admit, I’ve never balanced a blade. Is this something I should be doing?
You should, the blade wobbles and vibrate if not balanced. You don't noticed it, but it does shake the mower plus the vibration coming from the engine combined puts a lot of stress on the wheels of the mower.

Last edited:
Since there was no link provided, no one watched the video. Yes, he used a bench grinder or small angle grinder, depending on the sharpener he was testing.

Only one was an actual grinding stone and guide. The rest were guides to be used with a bench grinder or small angle grinder assuming you already have.

And it was tested to see which ones can get to the 30° cutting angle on the blade, as well as how easy and quickly to get it grinded, on both straight and curved mulching blades

I’d prefer a larger tool, but my dremel will do it, so that’s what I use, and just take my time.

Back