Why doesn't Schaffers oil get more love?

They are a smaller specialized oil company like Amsoil and HPL. Why don't you see much more of them? How would you rate their oils?

I am also curious what Antimony does in an oil. I noticed Lab results of their oils show it.

They have great products. And their greases are some of the best you can find.

The issue typically was cost of shipping, unless you bought by the pallet. They do offer some product on Amazon, fwiw.

I’d use any of their products with full confidence. If you were remotely near a distributor I’d definitely try to get their products. If not it can be a challenge to get stuff cost effectively.

I have started using Schaffers 238 moly grease on my tractors. Its working as expected and quite difficult to clean off. The oil though is way too pricey for me.

Reactions: 4WD
Why don't you see much more of them?
Where do you buy it ? Never seen it in any stores. If the only way to buy it is to find a local "distributor" who you then have to contact to find what stores they sell it (be it the small, independent parts shops or in bulk to garages), no thanks....

In my area, they says I can buy it at a Line-X dealer, used car dealers, etc. 🙄

They are a smaller specialized oil company like Amsoil and HPL. Why don't you see much more of them? How would you rate their oils?

I am also curious what Antimony does in an oil. I noticed Lab results of their oils show it.
Because they're expensive, and unlike the other brands mentioned, their products don't distinguish themselves in any meaningful way.

In what ways is the oil superior to other oils such that it deserves more love?

Why should I buy it over what I'm buying now?
That question could be asked of anything.

And as you know, objective results are extremely challenging to come up with, for any product and use scenario. As a long time user, you should know that.

Doesn’t mean the objective question is invalid, it’s just not something that will be easily answered.

Some folks would argue that their use of Sb, and potentially in the past, their moly uses were unique. Even today, certain products like their 219 moly grease that can be used in bearings, even though typical moly grease is frowned upon, indicates differences in formulation, and intentional blending and lubricant design.

Not sure if any Schaffer’s folks are on here anymore to discuss.

In what ways is the oil superior to other oils such that it deserves more love?

Why should I buy it over what I'm buying now?
It is interesting that often the same people on here who state any oil meeting specs/approvals will work fine, will also say oils like HPL use better base oils/additives. So this should make it or others like Amsoil superior/better oils shouldn't it?

Or are you saying these boutique oils are all hype and no substance?

I've always liked their fuel additives such as Neutra 131 and SoyUltra 131C, but never got into their oils for my needs. There used to be a salesrep on the board, although they're much less active than Pablo.

Is Schaefer oil a boutique brand? I always saw it as some brand that was popular with the OTR crowd, and they also sold PCMO.
Well for its price point and small footprint in the lubrication world compared to other major players, I would consider it a boutique oil.
Maybe others here see that differently of course.

Back