Why do you use the oil brand you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prefer integrated companies that developed and produced the ingredients, researched them, repeat … companies that keep planes, trains, and automobiles on the move worldwide … and have a strong industrial lubricant line …
so Mobil, Chevron, and Pennzoil/RDS …
I do like Amsoil and Redline for special applications like transfer cases etc …

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by jbutch

Virtus_Probi,

What do you use in your Forester XT?

I have used more M1 5W30 than anything else, trying the 0W30 AFE right now.
Have also used these 5W30s...QSUD, Pennzoil Gold, M1 ESP Formula, M1 AP, Valvoline FS, and M1 EP.

Are you planning to do an UOA on the 0w-30? I'd be curious to see the results.

I like most of the major brands, Pennzoil, Valvoline, M1, QS, Castrol, chevron, etc. Many years ago in high school I tore down a riding mower engine to repair it and it was FILLED with crud & sludge. I cleaned it up some, but it was still plenty dirty, put it back together and filled it with Gulf Multi-G and finished out the summer. That fall I gave it a full rebuild, and to my surprise, when I opened er up, she was almost spotless inside. Needless to say I used Multi-G for a long time.
That was 40 odd years ago, and the oil and I have changed a lot. I know most of the "house" oils are very good, so I've been using Supertech or RK. I know I could get name brand cheaper by using rebates, but I don't want to hassle with it. I've said a million times...why don't they just lower the price and do away with rebates? Well that what Walmart oil does, so I'm in. At $16@5th jug I can afford it and I don't have to go search for a good deal.

Last edited:
I like Mobil because their products are top of the line and a available for nearly all applications. Their website is easy to use and their product data is easy to find.

That said, I won't turn down a deal on a name brand oil and have Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Chevron, Havoline, Pentosin, and STP oils in my stash.

Cracks me up how many are saying their brand of oil used, rather than answering OP's question of why they run it.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
Cracks me up how many are saying their brand of oil used, rather than answering OP's question of why they run it.

crackmeup2.gif

I know right
smile.gif

Crap. Your'e right. Ok, Liqui Moly for my new VW because it's different, comes in a cool bottle, and I get can get it from a cool online euro tuning joint...I mean, why else do you buy oil?
smile.gif

QSUD 5W30 because it has great specs, is a thick 30wt, and in my manual and on my radiator[placard], Hyundai recommends Quaker State and I am under warranty.

I can say that I won't be using Shell Rotella gas truck. Q&A's that turn into superficial marketing attempts with no substance are a great way to get me to go to your competitor, for no reason other than "meh."

I used Magnatec FS because it was a less expensive full synthetic with a lot of good things written about it on this site. Now that the price has increased, I'm likely to get what's on sale.

I use Motorcraft in the Mustang because other people I know have had good luck with it and when the car was under warranty, I wanted to run what they recommended due to the bad warranty experiences I've had with Ford.

In the others I just run Castrol HM because I always had good luck with Castrol back in the day. I have used pretty much all of the major brands over the years.

Because for the last 41 years M1 oils have performed very well for me. No lubricated part has failed with their products, including engines, trans, PS pumps, bearings, or diffs.

Valvoline in most everything, except the Torino, which gets Amsoil. Sometimes I stray when clearance oil is just too cheap to pass up, but at retail price it's those two.

I started out using Valvoline because it was my fathers preferred brand. Then in 2001 got my first (of many to come) German vehicle and Castrol european formula or German spec Castrol were universally excepted as the best off the shelf (Walmart, chain parts store) eurospec oil so I used Castrol exclusively from 2001-2017. Still do on my wifes VW. But NOW I'm driving an old Ford truck and have settled on Pennzoil platinum on purely gut feeling and natural gas technology/marketing. HOWEVER I am not that loyal and I am going to use Mobil 1 extended performance and Annual protection when the price comes down to normal as these two Mobil 1 oils are said to have high PAO/Group IV content compared to regular Mobil 1.

Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5W-30 because:
- Rated dexos1 Gen2 SN+
- High HTHS
- Low Noack
- Has Moly (per VOAs & UOAs posted here)
- Hardly shears or thickens over a decent OCI (per UOAs here)
- Only $22.xx for 5 qt jug at Walmart
- Easy pour jug is cool, and works well, and has a tamper proof seal you can see (clear cap)
- No additives seen settling in the bottom of the jug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back