Why do they put such tiny tires on travel trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fsskier
Your not towing 5,000 pounds with your Toyota Van -or Lumina van.

Yes, let me make it clear, I AM towing 5,000 lbs with my Sienna. Most hitch manufacturers sell a 5,000 lb hitch for that vehicle. We have lots of options of what our boats can be towed with. Triple engine towboats are very low profile, have 1500 lbs of motors hanging off the back and about 500 lbs of lead in the tip of the nose..from an engineering point of view it has lots of polar inertia. That seems to greatly trouble vehicles like Yukons, pickups and similar vehicles that have a high center of gravity and a long distance from the back axle to the hitch. I do not like driving unstable tail-wagging vehicles on long trips when the Sienna is so much more stable at high speeds. I suspect that the pickups would be better if a 5th wheel gooseneck was used to compensate for the high polar inertia of the boat,,but that trailer would be 10 feet longer than the boat and none of our other vehicles could pull it.

These trailers have brakes of course, so that is not an issue. Incidentally the Sienna became my primary tow vehicle in its first week of life and now at 150,000 miles remains trouble free and still no repairs except for 2 recalls. Perhaps a 4wd Sienna would have been a better choice for very bad or steep muddy boat ramps....but seldom do we find one that bad. When we do, a quick tap of the boat throttles and the van, boat and trailer are coming out of the water no matter what!

But this is off topic, with lots of boats, trailers, equipment trailers we have lots of tow stuff we could talk about....but we now have tires on our trailers that meet our needs and are always trying to learn from others what brands work and those that do not.

Then Sir, I am waiting for someone like you to plow in to me-over the tow rating of your vehicle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2012+Sie...me&ie=UTF-8

While I have nice truck-I could use a new King Ranch that would be even nicer. That's what I would get after you try to explain to the judge how safe it is to tow over the manufacturers ratings-when I initiate a court action.

Last edited:
sue happy people have ruined this country.

to help the OP out, i like Hercules trailer tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Killer223
sue happy people have ruined this country.

If they have-it's a very small per-cent of what else as ruined this country.......

And if it’s like the F350 King Ranch down the street … you can pull a big Yellow Fin on a 3 axle trailer with another triplet of another type F350 “hanging” off the back …

Guess I need to tell him to get another tow rig …

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: thastinger
Our TT came with the Chinese maypops. I brought it home and immediately changed them out for Maxxis E rated tires. I would have gone Michelin but the trailer came with 15" wheels and Michelin didn't make a trailer tire for a 15 inch wheel. % years and not one problem with the Maxxis tires, keep the tires covered from the Sun if your camper lives outside.

Maxxis are Chinese tires.

actually Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand, not China. Maxxis trailer tires are reasonably held in high regard; they are not cheap and hold up well overall. Here is a reprint of the TrailerLife article on Maxxis ST tires.
http://www.maxxistrailertire.com/blog-item/trailer-life-%E2%80%93-maxxis-trailer-tire-article

My Goodyear Marathons lasted 10 (ten) years with no issues and almost 20k miles of use.
My "new" Hartland tires had one blow out in 1350 miles, not overheated, not overloaded, not over-speed. Just poor quality.
Both brands were made in China.

The fact to glean is that Goodyear felt the pressure deeply enough that they have de-sourced from China and are now making the Endurance ST tires in the States, at a greater cost to them and us. Why? Only one reason ... market pressure finally demanded it. That will be the only tires I buy for trailers in the future. China tire blow-outs are prominent enough among all brands that there are some of us willing to pay for the better quality.

Last edited:
No worries about me running over you....never squealed a tire in 40 years of towing. No close calls, no emergencies, etc. And I am towing a stable vehicle that does not tail wag!! You can always find somebody that had a wreck even not towing.....or other accidents. Our last long distance show was in South Dakota, 1100 miles of towing in a severe windstorm. I-90 was blocked with 5th wheel campers blown over, emergency services maxed out unable to service them all....summer vacationers going west. The low profile boat I tow was very stable. And I will not critique your towing choices.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

actually Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand, not China.

Maxxis tires are a wholly owned subsidiary of Cheng-Shin Rubber Industry Company. It is based in Yuanlin, Taiwan, Republic Of China. They make tires in lots of places, but the parent company is based in the ROC.

I suspect that the Michelin trailer tires are among the best! And I am sure that Chinese tires built with oversight from their retailers can also be good...that was the whole point of my comments. Customers need to report on those that work and those that do not.
I would also like to hear from those using the newest Goodyear trailer tires, they have apparently spent a lot of research and development time on them. I suspect very popular brands often get some bad reviews due to their large production volumes.

Interestingly, I also often use an infrared gun to measure tire and bearing temperatures at rest stops, sometimes we have as many as 10 trailers, perhaps 40 wheels total. Have you noticed that the axle with brakes on it is often warmer than the ones without brakes....sometimes almost hot if the driver is a tailgater...and late braker that never looks ahead and slows down without the brakes.

Sort of a test of who the dangerous drivers are!!

All three of my 8k axles are equipped with disc brakes. All six tires, bearings, and brakes run pretty close in temps. I always check tire pressures and the bearing oil level before heading out.

I check the trucks tires and brakes too.

No worries about me running over you....never squealed a tire in 40 years of towing. No close calls, no emergencies, etc. And I am towing a stable vehicle that does not tail wag!! You can always find somebody that had a wreck even not towing.....or other accidents. Our last long distance show was in South Dakota, 1100 miles of towing in a severe windstorm. I-90 was blocked with 5th wheel campers blown over, emergency services maxed out unable to service them all....summer vacationers going west. The low profile boat I tow was very stable. And I will not critique your towing choices.

Yea right. Your towing 5,000 pounds with a front drive uni-body vehicle. Your unsafe-not even the maker of the vehicle suggests doing what your doing. No body EVER THINKS they are going to have an accident.

And if I understand your post-you doing this as a business-I hope you have that 1 million dollar insurance rider. Your a liability waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Yea right. Your towing 5,000 pounds with a front drive uni-body vehicle. Your unsafe-not even the maker of the vehicle suggests doing what your doing. No body EVER THINKS they are going to have an accident.

And if I understand your post-you doing this as a business-I hope you have that 1 million dollar insurance rider. Your a liability waiting to happen.

Did your momma ever teach you any manners? If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. He's here about tires, not a lecture from some guy that thinks it's his job to insult and threaten people that choose to tow what they choose. It doesn't effect you. leave him alone!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Did your momma ever teach you any manners? If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. He's here about tires, not a lecture from some arse hat that thinks it's his job to insult and threaten people that choose to tow what they choose. It doesn't effect you. leave him alone!! [censored].

You don't like it killer...I understand the block feature works pretty good.

A friend had a Carlisle tire blow on his then new toy hauler. Took out a big chunk of the toy hauler around the fender well. Carlisle paid to have it fixed, but it was a PITA for him. Turns out his tires had been recalled, but they hadn't gotten to him before the blow out.

Thanks Killer for some calming words. I am always interested in informative information as many are giving on here, not here for a lecture. I would add that the Sienna has a factory rated hitch, etc to tow what I am towing. FWD and Unibody construction do not limit tow ratings. Interestingly another driver who owns a Crew cab also bought a Sienna after my experience to do his towing with. Stability and confidence should be the operative words here.

www.5sst.com Look down page and click on "watch a show" for a 45 second clip. Then look at the large and complex acts, 24 person pyramids, crazy jumpers, etc......and you can easily verify that we tow boats nearly every day of the week for months on end to accomplish this. Safe, fuel efficient and trouble free towing is necessary to do what we do!

Did your momma ever teach you any manners? If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. He's here about tires, not a lecture from some arse hat that thinks it's his job to insult and threaten people that choose to tow what they choose. It doesn't effect you. leave him alone!! [censored].

Lighten up Francis! CKN knows what he's talking about. Plus you're not allowed to make posts like that on here.

Thanks Killer for some calming words. I am always interested in informative information as many are giving on here, not here for a lecture. I would add that the Sienna has a factory rated hitch, etc to tow what I am towing. FWD and Unibody construction do not limit tow ratings. Interestingly another driver who owns a Crew cab also bought a Sienna after my experience to do his towing with. Stability and confidence should be the operative words here.

www.5sst.com Look down page and click on "watch a show" for a 45 second clip. Then look at the large and complex acts, 24 person pyramids, crazy jumpers, etc......and you can easily verify that we tow boats nearly every day of the week for months on end to accomplish this. Safe, fuel efficient and trouble free towing is necessary to do what we do!

Please share with us what class of hitch came OEM on your Sienna from the factory? OR-if you installed after market-what class hitch is it? And even if you installed a class three or four after market-and it fits-doesn't mean the vehicle is rated for that.

OR-if you don't know the answers-your even less naive than I think you are.

I see no hitch rated for 5,000 pounds.....

https://www.reese-hitches.com/vehiclesel...oduct_type_id=2

Let's stop this misinformation your spreading.

Last edited:
He probably skipped charm school ~ but I agree with the message … to be so proud having towed that many times/miles well above what the vehicle is rated for?
Around here it goes the other way around ~ and I’d rather share public roads with my friends who pull bay boats with F250 PSD’s …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
He probably skipped charm school ~ but I agree with the message … to be so proud having towed that many times/miles well above what the vehicle is rated for?
Around here it goes the other way around ~ and I’d rather share public roads with my friends who pull bay boats with F250 PSD’s …

I'm not an expert but I asked a local hitch shop why there are all these 2990lb unbraked trailers for sale when no vehicle has a manufacturers rating allowing that? The basic answer he gave was that the manufacturers ratings doesn't define what's legal, its the highway traffic act and it doesn't refer to manufacture ratings.

Curtis hitch, 5,000 lbs. Factory rated. Great brakes on the trailer. Are you a troll.....following me just to harass me? I only mentioned the tow vehicle to make the point that it and the boat weighed the same amount and had similar tire load ratings.....but the Chinese boat tires blew steadily while the car tires did not....obviously at the same speeds. Just some science, not meant to initiate a discussion about Sienna's. I hope most of the readers here picked up on that. Many pickups pull trailers double their weight....and I do not criticize them.

Easily found, there are three of them nearby and many others? Some SiennaS slightly modified are pulling 7,000 lbs or more, see Sienna Chat and go there and harass them please.

Next you can start worrying about the boat. pulling as many as 36 skiers at once!

This will be my last comment unless it has to do with trailer tire experiences.
I suspect many have quit this board when the trolls jump them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back