Why did Ford go from 5W20 to 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Pretty much an admittance by Ford that a thicker oil adds protection.

I know a bloke whose been lambasted on this forum for suggesting that a reduction in viscosity is a reduction in safety margin...

Oh well things turn around eventually, and Ford have demonstrated it.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The thinnies posted that 5W30 is too thick for modern engines with tight clearances.
I know, they opened up the clearances to allow the thick 5w30 oil to flow through.
ROFL

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Pretty much an admittance by Ford that a thicker oil adds protection.

I know a bloke whose been lambasted on this forum for suggesting that a reduction in viscosity is a reduction in safety margin...

Oh well things turn around eventually, and Ford have demonstrated it.
+1 There are few art history majors more sure of themselves that those who are self appointed "environmentalists".

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
I recall in the early aughts they were one of the first, or few, car companies that required 5W20 for their cars. Now they seem to have gone to where most everyone has always been, namely 5W30.

Anyone know why the change?

The explanations I have seen cite fuel dilution in the direct injection turbo engines as the primary driver.

On the V8 I would think that they got some engines back with excessive wear or some other problem that increased viscosity corrects. The V10 mentioned has a robust oil cooler I think so the 5w-20 doesn't thin out of grade. I don't know if the V8 has a cooler or not but I'm guessing that is the difference

I run 10w-30 in everything here in FL. If I had an ecoboost I would run 10w-30 in it also
+1

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Have ccs and mrv requirements changed since that time ?

I don't think so. The older SAE J300 I saw with the lower HTHS minimums for certain 40s still had the same MRV and CCS numbers for 0w-XX, 5w-XX, and 10w-XX options as does the current one.

Look at the engines using 5w30 and those requiring 5w20. The ones with 5W30 are generally Direct Injection Turbocharged engines.

Amazing to me that some of the so called experts here look at this and see that Ford was wrong to use 5w20 oils.

Different engines with different issues as a result of new technology and usages. Nothing more or less... In the early 2000's 5w20 was "new". Fast forward over 15 years and engine packages have evolved too - is it so far fetched to believe that they have their own needs for lubrication too?

The thinnies posted that 5W30 is too thick for modern engines with tight clearances.
I know, they opened up the clearances to allow the thick 5w30 oil to flow through.

HAHAHA i can guarantee someone will come stating that 5w20 is still better to use.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Ecoboost

Correct. Most, or at least many turbos require 5-30, because of deposits on the turbo shaft. My 2017 Fusion 2.5 NA engine requires 5-20. I am using M1 0-20AFE in my 2017 which has the 945 Ford spec., as I have done in my 2007 Fusion with outstanding results.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me why I stay out of the PCMO sub-forum. Name calling. Straw man arguments. Primary topic ignored in favor of mindless banter and bickering.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101

HAHAHA i can guarantee someone will come stating that 5w20 is still better to use.

well for a lot of users i'm willing to bet 5w20 is better, myself a typical commute to work is 5 to 10 minutes one way 5 days a week, so for 5 out of every 7 days my oil never gets anywhere near operating temps , so a thinner oil would benefit me . please correct me if i'm wrong.

I have noticed GM is calling for 0-20 oil in their truck and large SUV V8s, for the last 2-3 years. My son has a 2017 GMC Denali which calls for that.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Originally Posted By: Nissan101

well for a lot of users i'm willing to bet 5w20 is better, myself a typical commute to work is 5 to 10 minutes one way 5 days a week, so for 5 out of every 7 days my oil never gets anywhere near operating temps , so a thinner oil would benefit me . please correct me if i'm wrong.

ok point taken, but when someone says they are using a thick oil, the thin oil community attacks one time stating "your engine dont need a heavy hitter like a 10w40 oil etc" (And i asked one simple question)
how would they know what my engine needs?
did they design it?
im guessing they were along side nissan, while they were making the engine

Last edited:
Yep I have been attacked for recommending 10w-30. Not gonna name names and start a war but I will say the whole thick vs thin thing is childish. It depends on the needs of the engine in question.

I'll say it again, for most use Xw-20 is adequate.

There are circumstances where going up a grade or two is necessary for optimal protection.

I run 10w-30 because I have a lead foot. If it costs me a bit more in gas so be it. As far as I can tell the fuel economy improvements are the only benefit of going thinner than 30

The $1,000,000 question is why did Ford not Back-spec the 2010 Ecoboosts to 5w30 if they were/are seeing issues? These engines are aging and those fed 5w20 are not blowing up in significant numbers. And for the FWD applications nothing changed from 2010-201 except the oil cap.

I suppose if you back spec a lot you are going to get a lot of claims stating your oil recommendations have messed up my engine.

Anyone know if the Hyundai Gamma GDI/Direct Injection turbos (mine is the 1.6L) could benefit from a thicker 30 weight or is this a Ford Ecoboost thing in general? I keep my vehicles for a while. Now that I think about it. I think Hyundai says in the manual you can use 30 weight but recommends 5w20. I plan on doing 5k OCI while under warranty. It's 90% highway miles with some stop & go traffic jams. So not really sure if I fall under severe or normal maintenance intervals so meeting in the middle at 5k (flip a coin).

Originally Posted By: bradtech
Anyone know if the Hyundai Gamma GDI/Direct Injection turbos (mine is the 1.6L) could benefit from a thicker 30 weight or is this a Ford Ecoboost thing in general? I keep my vehicles for a while. Now that I think about it. I think Hyundai says in the manual you can use 30 weight but recommends 5w20. I plan on doing 5k OCI while under warranty. It's 90% highway miles with some stop & go traffic jams. So not really sure if I fall under severe or normal maintenance intervals so meeting in the middle at 5k (flip a coin).

Interesting note; Kia's 2.0 TGDI motor can run on multiple grades of oil with 5w-30 being the main suggested weight. A5 or better. This is per the owners manual of the Kia Sportage SX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back