Why crossing the street is so deadly (in the US)

If you took the time to read my original post you'd know the answer. Guess you didn't. I'm out. You have an agenda and it's all good. Wish you the best moving forward.
Let me quote your original post.
Sorry buttercup, as a pedestrian you have a responsibility as well as the driver of the auto

First of all, you're immediately flippantly dismissing the seriousness of the problem by using a perjorative. And immediately also implying that it must be at least partially the pedestrians fault. If being tired of people dying in crosswalks by following the rules is an agenda then hell yes I have an agenda

ok I agree there are a butt ton of terrible drivers out there who think they are great drivers

Many of them text

I don’t think roads or cars suddenly got worse

One thing worse here is the legalization of pot
Except the states where this is the biggest problems don't have legal pot, so there's that out the window. Amsterdam also has legal pot, and they don't have pedestrian deaths at anywhere close to the same rate.

I work throughout the world, and am currently working and sending this from Asia.

In most of the world, much higher density of people, and much more pedestrians. Yet, much less accidents between pedestrians and motor vehicles, significantly less.

Two reasons, personal responsibility and pedestrians do not have the unquestionable right of away in all circumstances.

Observations suggest pedestrians not having the right of way facilitates significantly more efficient movement for both pedestrians and motor vehicles.

ok I agree there are a butt ton of terrible drivers out there who think they are great drivers

Many of them text

I don’t think roads or cars suddenly got worse

One thing worse here is the legalization of pot
Actually you're sort of wrong with the cars thing as well. Look at the size and shape of most vehicles today vs 20 years ago. Even pickups 20 years ago had relatively low hoods, and they sloped backwards. Now, as an adult male, even the most bare bones F150 is about at shoulder height for me at the hood, and it's a vertical wall. Your odds of dying being hit by that vs a sedan is orders of magnitude higher. The insanely increased size of vehicles and the accompanying poor front visibility is definitely a contributing factor, and also one that helps explain the vast gulf between the US and the rest of the world, where the most popular class of vehicles isn't taller than a statistically significant percentage of adults.

Except the states where this is the biggest problems don't have legal pot, so there's that out the window. Amsterdam also has legal pot, and they don't have pedestrian deaths at anywhere close to the same rate.

As you state many of those states may not have "legal pot" but they often don't prosecute pot so you tell me the difference? How would you know since there are no numbers on that. All hidden data. Before NY was pot legal our Westchester DA told us they would not prosecute pot cases. That was fine but what wasn't ok was they told us not to forward pot arrests to them. NY is a simple appearance ticket, not a take you in matter. Our answer to the DA was 🖕🖕 You don't want to prosecute, you dismiss it. If it matters that much vacate the law. Until then, we arrest, you prosecute. All they cared about was the future search showing thousands of dismissed weed cases. We weren't there for your political future was our answer.

You Sir, are an idealist lacking real-world experience. They lied to you in college! The world does not work the way they told you.

As you state many of those states may not have "legal pot" but they often don't prosecute pot so you tell me the difference? How would you know since there are no numbers on that. All hidden data. Before NY was pot legal our Westchester DA told us they would not prosecute pot cases. That was fine but what wasn't ok was they told us not to forward pot arrests to them. NY is a simple appearance ticket, not a take you in matter. Our answer to the DA was 🖕🖕 You don't want to prosecute, you dismiss it. If it matters that much vacate the law. Until then, we arrest, you prosecute. All they cared about was the future search showing thousands of dismissed weed cases. We weren't there for your political future was our answer.

You Sir, are an idealist lacking real-world experience. They lied to you in college! The world does not work the way they told you.
Except it does. Except for here in the US. You've been gaslit into thinking the way things are done here is the only possible way. And plenty of states where pot is still illegal do in fact prosecute it, for better or ill. North Carolina has some of the worst pedestrian fatality rates in the country, and pot is definitely still prosecuted here. Bringing pot into it isn't any more helpful than bringing up jaywalking. Cell phones are relevant, but blaming all accidents on cell phones is just avoiding the real problems.

Except it does. Except for here in the US. You've been gaslit into thinking the way things are done here is the only possible way. And plenty of states where pot is still illegal do in fact prosecute it, for better or ill. North Carolina has some of the worst pedestrian fatality rates in the country, and pot is definitely still prosecuted here. Bringing pot into it isn't any more helpful than bringing up jaywalking. Cell phones are relevant, but blaming all accidents on cell phones is just avoiding the real problems.

I'm going to walk back and be an adult. I think you are so intent on being right you are missing so much of what you could be learning from. Don't answer, it doesn't matter. Just read, re-read, and try to think in a manner that is not the lens you present here. It's clear you are a social justice warrior but if you want to be a better person review what has been said by others (not particularly me) think about it independently.....then come back with a fresh lens.

I'll tell you right now, I'm not right but I sure am not in the realm you are in. My lens is skewed and for a solid reason. Glossing over legitimate arguments to be correct pushes your argument down into a hole. I have faith that if you do this you can come back with relevance that many here, maybe even me, could come to terms with. Sound fair?

Actually you're sort of wrong with the cars thing as well. Look at the size and shape of most vehicles today vs 20 years ago. Even pickups 20 years ago had relatively low hoods, and they sloped backwards. Now, as an adult male, even the most bare bones F150 is about at shoulder height for me at the hood, and it's a vertical wall. Your odds of dying being hit by that vs a sedan is orders of magnitude higher. The insanely increased size of vehicles and the accompanying poor front visibility is definitely a contributing factor, and also one that helps explain the vast gulf between the US and the rest of the world, where the most popular class of vehicles isn't taller than a statistically significant percentage of adults.
Can you actually present data to back this idea?

I always yield to cars, even on a marked crosswalk. Just because im squishy and they aren't, also if they cross i only have to wait like 2 seconds while if i cross they have to wait longer. Some people wait for me anyway so I just go.

I actually don't think the people here actually have tried to cross a street based on the comments.

I had to spend some time with someone in a large downtown hospital here in Charleston. There was a marked crosswalk going from one side to a parking garage - with a flashing light on both sides activated by a button you pressed, and an overhead sign saying crosswalk, and the street itself marked in yellow. Even when you pressed the button no one stopped. I am not talking immediately - I am talking people from a block away. Even when the first driver stopped you would almost get run over by someone in the next lane just blowing through.

I saw someone blow by a bus with their lights and sign out just the other day.

Yes, you can't just wonder around in the street wherever, but if your in a crosswalk or waiting at a crosswalk, the driver is obligated to stop. Its not unclear, but no one does. You can stand on the corner and wait and wait and wait. Until you actually are in the street there not stopping, and even then they have no problem flying by only a couple feet from you.

I stopped the video after "I have to give the awkward wave for not killing me." Sorry buttercup, as a pedestrian you have a responsibility as well as the driver of the auto. The sense of entitlement is where :poop: goes wrong on both ends. Amazes me at the level of importance so many 2 legged creatures feel they have. That goes for driver as well as ped.
Like the people who exit the grocery stores without looking because they have the "right of way" That does not mean run out in front of me.

I actually don't think the people here actually have tried to cross a street based on the comments.

I had to spend some time with someone in a large downtown hospital here in Charleston. There was a marked crosswalk going from one side to a parking garage - with a flashing light on both sides activated by a button you pressed, and an overhead sign saying crosswalk, and the street itself marked in yellow. Even when you pressed the button no one stopped. I am not talking immediately - I am talking people from a block away. Even when the first driver stopped you would almost get run over by someone in the next lane just blowing through.

I saw someone blow by a bus with their lights and sign out just the other day.

Yes, you can't just wonder around in the street wherever, but if your in a crosswalk or waiting at a crosswalk, the driver is obligated to stop. Its not unclear, but no one does. You can stand on the corner and wait and wait and wait. Until you actually are in the street there not stopping, and even then they have no problem flying by only a couple feet from you.
No doubt about it. Some drivers are completely oblivious.

In some ways there is no single cause. But it does vary by region.

Aging population is a factor.

That said, the rate was higher in 1981. No one mentioned that.

The post pandemic times accelerated the rate.

The agenda from some news outlets is to blame the infrastructure and larger cars, but nothing really backs this.

Alcohol and drugs often involved.

Nighttime and more people in black clothes has been cited.

Do a web search, I did.

Last edited:
Here, we use stop signs... and when a bad accident happens, flashing red lights as well.

I find it funny that I come up to a highway, and the sign right below the STOP is a sign saying oncoming traffic does not stop.... lol a STOP sign with no 4 way below it, is not a 4 way stop people.

Spend time in Korea, India, Pakistan, etc... it's like the wild west where the bigger vehicle has right of way and walkers and at the bottom of the list.

No doubt about it. Some drivers are completely oblivious.

In some ways there is no single cause. But it does vary by region.

Aging population is a factor.

That said, the rate was higher in 1981. No one mentioned that.

The post pandemic times accelerated the rate.

The agenda from some news outlets is to blame the infrastructure and larger cars, but nothing really backs this.

Alcohol and drugs often involved.

Nighttime and more people in black clothes has been cited.

Do a web search, I did.
I have. It also tells you the highest group is 55+. Hardly the inconsiderate nose in phone group some here think.

I agree its definitely not the vehicles - lights are better than ever. Not infrastructure either - its better than ever as well.

If someone is walking where not intended then that is different. My gripe is marked sidewalks at controlled intersections. If drivers ignore those they deserve jail, IMHO.

I work throughout the world, and am currently working and sending this from Asia.

In most of the world, much higher density of people, and much more pedestrians. Yet, much less accidents between pedestrians and motor vehicles, significantly less.

Two reasons, personal responsibility and pedestrians do not have the unquestionable right of away in all circumstances.

Observations suggest pedestrians not having the right of way facilitates significantly more efficient movement for both pedestrians and motor vehicles.
When I was in and out of China 2000-2005 there were TONS of accidents with cars and scooters. Deaths daily. I saw a number of dead people. No idea of the number of ped deaths, but I think most were not.

I saw that people did not assume cars would give them the right of way.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Back