Why crossing the street is so deadly (in the US)

Hopefully this doesn't devolve like it usually does. Frankly, I think it comes down the selfish attitude of many drivers, extremely poor driver training, and extremely poor road design.

Hopefully this doesn't devolve like it usually does. Frankly, I think it comes down the selfish attitude of many drivers, extremely poor driver training, and extremely poor road design.
There is also a serious lack of responsibility among many pedestrians. Back in "my day", I was taught that in spite of pedestrian right of way laws, I am not entitled to just wander across a road without due caution, looking both ways multiple times. I see many people cross the road without looking at all. All ages, with and without cellphones, but especially bad with the younger crowd (just about everyone is young compared to me).

I stopped the video after "I have to give the awkward wave for not killing me." Sorry buttercup, as a pedestrian you have a responsibility as well as the driver of the auto. The sense of entitlement is where :poop: goes wrong on both ends. Amazes me at the level of importance so many 2 legged creatures feel they have. That goes for driver as well as ped.

Most of the start of the video - which I didn't what much of - looked like drivers out of control, and people not crossing the street.

Which might kinda sorta fit what you wrote...................

YET if the statistic IS true (I tend not believe things when there is or may be an agenda) - many of the problems happen with...........people walking with heads in phone and people driving while:

TEXTING

I stopped the video after "I have to give the awkward wave for not killing me." Sorry buttercup, as a pedestrian you have a responsibility as well as the driver of the auto. The sense of entitlement is where :poop: goes wrong on both ends. Amazes me at the level of importance so many 2 legged creatures feel they have. That goes for driver as well as ped.
Except it's literally the law in almost all states to yield to pedestrians. And guess who is gonna lose in the fight between a car and a human? Bingo. Who do you think is the one who bears a bit more responsibility, "buttercup"?

Except it's literally the law in almost all states to yield to pedestrians. And guess who is gonna lose in the fight between a car and a human? Bingo. Who do you think is the one who bears a bit more responsibility, "buttercup"?
So this student gets hit by a cop responding to an emergency situation. In Seattle fashion all the do gooders wanted to blame the cop.

Turns out, he didn't run a red light, he had siren blaring and lights on...........

Student had head phones, head in phone and stepped out right in front of the car

Most of the start of the video - which I didn't what much of - looked like drivers out of control, and people not crossing the street.

Which might kinda sorta fit what you wrote...................

YET if the statistic IS true (I tend not believe things when there is or may be an agenda) - many of the problems happen with...........people walking with heads in phone and people driving while:

TEXTING
You can look the statistics on this for yourself just about anywhere, including at least two government agencies. What, you think "big pedestrian" has an agenda? I mean if you consider not being splatted by drivers not paying attention, then yeah I guess you could call it an agenda.

So this student gets hit by a cop responding to an emergency situation. In Seattle fashion all the do gooders wanted to blame the cop.

Turns out, he didn't run a red light, he had siren blaring and lights on...........

Student had head phones, head in phone and stepped out right in front of the car
So out of all the possibilities you pick the extreme one? Not the dozens every day of normal people crossing normal streets and drivers not paying attention or deciding they don't need to follow the law because they're driving a car and thus more important? You can justify almost anything when you always reach for the extreme example to try to make your point.

Even ultra lib NY has jay-walking laws. There are rules for bot ped as well as auto's. When both abide by those very laws things go smoothly. Might not fit your agenda though.

Until you've heard the smack of a ped head hitting roadway I think you are living in a utopia. Both ped and drivers have responsibilities.

What does it take to get people to admit there's a systemic problem that isn't being addressed? Instead it goes straight to victim blaming.

I've not blamed a victim in a single circumstance. As LE I responded as patrol boss to 6 ped v MV calls. Four of those 6 were verified by video to be ped fault. And I'm in NY! Two were fatalities. You, Sir are talking politics not real life. I can't say more or I'll be in trouble.

Even ultra lib NY has jay-walking laws. There are rules for bot ped as well as auto's. When both abide by those very laws things go smoothly. Might not fit your agenda though.

Until you've heard the smack of a ped head hitting roadway I think you are living in a utopia. Both ped and drivers have responsibilities.
You're right that pedestrians also need to exercise due care, but so do drivers. And yet, how often do you think people actually stop for pedestrians? In fact later in the video he brings up a specific study by a state that shows that drivers failed to yield to pedestrians 60%+: of the time in that study. If a pedestrian crosses the road in a crosswalk, who is at fault? The pedestrian? Or the driver failing to follow the law?

What does it take to get people to admit there's a systemic problem that isn't being addressed? Instead it goes straight to victim blaming.

Guess I can't help myself. Define who the victim is if the ped is violating jaywalking laws and gets seriously injured. Are you aware there is a difference between criminal and civil responsibility?

Well someone here seems to have an agenda

I certainly didn’t blame the victim

I blamed texting by drivers and pedestrians yet you say one is the extreme
Cell phone use is a problem but you seem to be implying that it's the primary cause, not a tertiary one which it is

You're right that pedestrians also need to exercise due care, but so do drivers. And yet, how often do you think people actually stop for pedestrians? In fact later in the video he brings up a specific study by a state that shows that drivers failed to yield to pedestrians 60%+: of the time in that study. If a pedestrian crosses the road in a crosswalk, who is at fault? The pedestrian? Or the driver failing to follow the law?
No ability to have a rational discussion. This is a political matter/agenda for you and should be treated as such.

Guess I can't help myself. Define who the victim is if the ped is violating jaywalking laws and gets seriously injured. Are you aware there is a difference between criminal and civil responsibility?
I can tell you didn't watch the video because you're talking about jaywalking, which isn't what is being discussed here at all. This entire video is about drivers ignoring pedestrians in crosswalks. You seem to want to make it the pedestrians fault to avoid drivers having to take responsibility for operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner

No ability to have a rational discussion. This is a political matter/agenda for you and should be treated as such.
You're the one who brought up a totally irrelevant topic, jaywalking, and I'm the one who can't have a rational discussion? Discussing people's inability to follow laws when it comes to crossing the street is political? That doesn't make any sense at all. Is saying that speeding is bad also political? What about not running red lights?

I can tell you didn't watch the video because you're talking about jaywalking, which isn't what is being discussed here at all. This entire video is about drivers ignoring pedestrians in crosswalks. You seem to want to make it the pedestrians fault to avoid drivers having to take responsibility for operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manne

If you took the time to read my original post you'd know the answer. Guess you didn't. I'm out. You have an agenda and it's all good. Wish you the best moving forward.

You're the one who brought up a totally irrelevant topic, jaywalking, and I'm the one who can't have a rational discussion? Discussing people's inability to follow laws when it comes to crossing the street is political? That doesn't make any sense at all. Is saying that speeding is bad also political? What about not running red lights?

Sleep well.

Back