Who's going to the EAA Air Adventure this year?

I haven't been to one since 2008. I'm really looking forward to going. My friend and I are riding our motorcycles up through the UP in MI, then back down to Oshkosh. Staying at my BIL's so lodging won't be a problem, and he lives less than a mile from the airport. I love seeing the warbirds...

Man..brings back memories from thirty-plus years ago. (Last time I went) On that visit, I actually got to see the SR-71 land from Edwards. (A little over an hour's flight time!) Crazy amount of planes and people. We camped-out then and had flight line passes. Great show. I often have wondered if it has the same attendance...?

Man..brings back memories from thirty-plus years ago. (Last time I went) On that visit, I actually got to see the SR-71 land from Edwards. (A little over an hour's flight time!) Crazy amount of planes and people. We camped-out then and had flight line passes. Great show. I often have wondered if it has the same attendance...?
I think attendance was hurt a few years during the pandemic, but I think it's back up there again now...

This year (or one of the previous years, I haven't been there since 2008) they added a new twist to the air show routine, a night air show. It was nothing short of amazing! I've never seen a night air show before, didn't even know it was possible...

This year was probably the 9th or 10th time I've attended the EAA air show. I must say I was a little disappointed with the air show format this year. The main reason I go to Oshkosh is to see the war birds fly, specifically the WWII fighters. While each daily air show featured large formations of T-34s, AT-6s, and T-28s, they didn't have the large formations of P-51s flying this year. Normally, they would taxi all of the P-51s out along the flight line, and they would turn and face the crowd and rev up their engines at the same time. It was an awesome sight. Then they would all take off and form large formations. They didn't do that this year. Other than the solo flights, and the flights with the F-22, there wasn't much flying of the P-51s this year during the air show. They also had two F8F Bearcats parked on the ramp that never flew at all during the week. This was also disappointing. Who flies their plane into Oshkosh only to have it parked the entire week? People want to see, and pay good money to see these planes fly...I don't know what drove them to change the format this way, but I didn't like it...

Back