The day a Cuban Air Force pilot defected to the US ...

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interesting read for a aviation geeks and people who have a passion for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

His wife and two sons were issued US visas, but the Cuban government wouldn’t let them leave.

Perez said the government put surveillance on them.

His family lived under constant watch for 21 months, while Perez campaigned across the US to try to gain their freedom, he said.

Then-President George H. W. Bush directed a speech to the Cuban government, asking Fidel Castro to let Perez’s family go.

But Castro refused so Perez had to think of a better plan.

The only way to rescue them would be to fly back in an airplane.

Through a human rights organization founded by a Cuban political prisoner, called the Valladares Foundation, Perez learned that a 1961 Cessna 310 was for sale. With help from a donation the foundation agreed to pay the $30,000 to purchase it for his rescue attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder in the US returned the plane whole or in pieces after a thorough "health & safety" inspection.

I found this, claiming that the plane was flown to Cuba on March 29, 1991. That would have been 9 days later.

8423900950_98e96823a0_z.jpg

Cuban MIG-23BN Flogger-H departing Key West Naval Air Station​

Local call number: DM1861​

Title: Cuban MIG-23BN Flogger-H departing Key West Naval Air Station
Date: March 29, 1991​

His wife and two sons were issued US visas,
I think that the "Dry Feet" policy was in effect at the time, which means visas were not necessary. Any Cuban who could get themselves to US soil has automatic amnesty to stay in the US. Obviously you wouldn't want to give the Castro government any hints that you plan on leaving.

I think that the "Dry Feet" policy was in effect at the time, which means visas were not necessary. Any Cuban who could get themselves to US soil has automatic amnesty to stay in the US. Obviously you wouldn't want to give the Castro government any hints that you plan on leaving.

He likely wouldn't have had much of an issue as a defector. He technically requested asylum.

His family would have been another matter, but I think at that point they would have likely granted it. I remember a baseball player from Cuba who entered the US with an exit permit from Cuba.

Back