Who makes a 10 micron oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Schultz
...I've been using a 1um glass micro fiber media in a trasko filter rather than the trasko tissue paper for the last 22k miles. This 1um media goes more than twice the distance before I see dirt rings on paper. The trasko TP would usually start to show dirt rings after 6-7k miles. The glass media that I'm using has 12k miles on this filter and still isn't showing any dirt rings. The oil has 22k on it now. When I took the last glass media filter out of the trasko at 10k miles the top 1/3 of the media was like black grease. I was amazed that it was still filtering...

Where did you get that glass micro fiber media? I have a Trasko, and I'd love to try it!

Well, I work in R&D for a filtration company that makes this glass media and many other types medias and membranes. The media that I have was left over from experiments, or sample rolls. It's just something that I've been experimenting with, sorry I really can't offer it out, and I'm not sure what the cost is through distribution.

Hi, Tim. Good to see you checking in from time to time
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hi, Tim. Good to see you checking in from time to time
55.gif

I'm killing alot of time here, BUT I LOVE IT :)

There is info about the PureONE on Purolator's website:

99.9% efficient based on the ISO 4548-12 testing procedure at 20 microns.

In contrast, the Amsoil EaO is 98.7% efficient at 15 microns using the same test procedure.

I could find no 10 or 15 micron data for the Purolator filters.

The 10-Micron Cummins testing done using the procedure mentioned above:

Baldwin Info:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/lit/form186.pdf
BD7154 105lpm: 78.1 at 10 microns

Hastings Info:
http://www.hastingsfilter.com/lit/f507.pdf
LF498 150lpm: 75.9% at 10 microns
LF499 105lpm: 72.5% at 10 microns

Donaldson (Synteq) Info:
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/000831.pdf
150lpm: 85% at 10 microns
105lpm: 89% at 10 microns

The CLEAR winner being Donaldson by a long-shot.

Those are all massive commercial filters ..so I'm trying to see the comparison. You can cite Donaldson filters down to (iirc) 1um absolute if you want to in some of their expensive industrial hydraulic filters (a couple I have).

Wix offers comparable offerings ..but Donaldson surely does have the edge in the trick stuff, imo.

Those are all massive commercial filters ..so I'm trying to see the comparison. You can cite Donaldson filters down to (iirc) 1um absolute if you want to in some of their expensive industrial hydraulic filters (a couple I have).

Wix offers comparable offerings ..but Donaldson surely does have the edge in the trick stuff, imo.

Gary:

My comparison was the Donaldson Synteq media VS what the other industrial/commercial filter manufacturers offer to sort of quantify/qualify the "position" of the EaO in my mind.

The info I provided above from Donaldson was very assuring in that regard.

Oh ..sure. Donaldson has most of the spin-on upper end stuff trumped from my opinion/observations. The next threshold would take you to PALL or some other ultra-trick techno-leading edge outfit.

I just wasn't quite sure where you at here (just askin', pal)...

I texted my buddy who works at the International dealer about the Donaldson filters. He said they don't carry them, but that the local Freightliner dealer WOULD. They are open 24-7, so I went on down to the Freightliner dealer.

They weren't in stock, and he couldn't get the Ford version next-day or anything, but said he could probably get me a case of 6 or 12 of them. The price (from what I saw on his screen; less than what I'm paying for my PureONE filters) was VERY reasonable, so I told him to order them in for me.

I'll post pics when they arrive. These were the P169071 filters for a Ford 302 with the SYNTEQ media.

That's a screaming deal if you can get them for that price (which should be around $6/each). Just hope that isn't their cost ..but they would have to double the price to make it a break even deal.

I pay ~16.00 for PureONE's up here. I believe the price for the Donaldson's was 9 or 11 dollars? So a pretty substantial savings.

Yikes ...I forgot the Canadian filter curse
shocked2.gif
That would still push them under the EaO threshold ..but at a case purchase. That naturally assumes (I don't have a clue) that the SYNTEC media in that filter is rated the same as the media that Amsoil produces under license.

..but for the savings of a few CAN$ each, the difference, if any won't add up to much.

I honestly haven't checked EaO pricing up here. Oversight perhaps? Or blinded by the possibility of running a Commercial filter more likely
wink.gif

I guess I could pull out the 'ol Amsoil catalog and check?
grin2.gif

For the PC/Dealer price.. they probably work out to $16 CAN$ ..but there would be S&H if you weren't near the warehouse. The bottom end on US shipping is like up to $8.xx US$ now. That's flat for a good bit up in #'age/$$ and is totally uniform here nationwide. I don't know how they work it in Canada.

A case of 12 appears to be around $180 (BIG WHOOPS = $10 OFF don't get too tipsy at the celebration over that one - boy that's big)

The distributions centers are in Mississauga, ON and Edmonton, AB

It appears you're close to the Mississauga (thank goodness for tape and paste with those native north American names).

ROFL!!!! Yeah, I'm about 2 hours from there.

Guess we'll see what the D's end up running me
grin2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

The distributions centers are in Mississauga, ON and Edmonton, AB

It appears you're close to the Mississauga (thank goodness for tape and paste with those native north American names).

That's where I live!
banana2.gif

I drive right past the Amsoil warehouse every day on my way to work actually, it's right by the airport.

Got a call back today. Case is 12 filters. Trying to get him to do better on the price for me, he's going to talk to his boss and see what they can do. That's a LOT of filters
grin2.gif

They do look sassy though! I'll be sure to take pictures when they arrive.

You may want to see if someone wants to split it with you. That's a long time to use them up while getting a good length of usage. I have the advantage of all of my fleet (and most of the extended fleet) using 3/4-16 thread filters ..
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back