micron rating question

Engine: Kawasaki 2 cylinder 24hp FR730V in a lawn tractor.

WIX has 2 filters for this engine with differing micron ratings.
57053 has a 32 nominal micron rating
51056 has a 21 nominal micron rating

Which would you use? I'm thinking the 21 micron 51056.

My opinion only, but I haven't been too happy with the construction of a few 51056 filters that I've seen.

I'm not a louvre hater, but the center tubes on the 51056 filters I purchased have only half the surface area stamped with louvers. And they didn't do a very good job of stamping them (most were not fully open).

And it's way overpriced.

If it will fit and not be affected by the steering arm, the 51348 would probably be better.

On my mower, it has to have the shorter style due to steering arm coming close to filter, so I use AC Delco PF2210. I used the 51056 for a while until I saw too many duds.

What is the expected difference you would expect to see?
I had two thoughts on the subject. The first was that 32 microns was possibly too coarse and would let the large dirt particles through.
The second was that the 21 micron rating filtered finer dirt and would preserve the engine BUT could clog up sooner being OPE and all.

Grab the 21 version. Since it's a pressured oiling system it will do just fine & if the media is designed with better efficiency it will take it. While I'm still gathering my own data on small engines & wear the manual usually references how many hours it can be run. I know you're referencing a Wix but I've been seeing other's posting how Ecogards are on sale at walmart & jungle site if you can crossover to your size.

.... I'm thinking the 21 micron 51056.
Strickly on micron rating, that is preferable filter. But, while nominal is generally taken to mean 50%, it's still rather a vague term. When I look at said filter on Wix site, spec sheet beta shows 95% @20um.

That said, if the Kawi engine has ~3/4" more access space, I'd choose one of the many 3614 or equivalent automotive application oil filters. In the Wix that would be the 51348. And fwiw, the automotive frequently come with a silicone adbv as opposed to nitrile on most OPE filters including topic. Less expensive than OPE too.

Strickly on micron rating, that is preferable filter. But, while nominal is generally taken to mean 50%, it's still rather a vague term. When I look at said filter on Wix site, spec sheet beta shows 95% @20um.

That said, if the Kawi engine has ~3/4" more access space, I'd choose one of the many 3614 or equivalent automotive application oil filters. In the Wix that would be the 51348. And fwiw, the automotive frequently come with a silicone adbv as opposed to nitrile on most OPE filters including topic. Less expensive than OPE too.
I'd not thought making sure my OPE had a silicon ADBV but I'll remember this now. At least for my air cooled engines. Thanks!

Good Morning Kira,
I did a lookup of the 51056 on the Fram site and it returned Extra Guards PH8172 and PH8170 ($7.99 at Fleet Farm) for your unit. The Extra Guards are rated at 95% efficiency @20 microns which is very good and uses a cellulose/synthetic blend media.

The Wix 51056 is also 95% @20 but the media is cellulose only and the best price I could find is $14.62 at Home Depot.

My recommendation is go with the Fram PH8170.

Good Morning Kira,
I did a lookup of the 51056 on the Fram site and it returned Extra Guards PH8172 and PH8170 ($7.99 at Fleet Farm) for your unit. The Extra Guards are rated at 95% efficiency @20 microns which is very good and uses a cellulose/synthetic blend media.

The Wix 51056 is also 95% @20 but the media is cellulose only and the best price I could find is $14.62 at Home Depot.

My recommendation is go with the Fram PH8170.
Hi Kira,
A correction. The $7.99 price is at Farm & Fleet. The PH8170 is also available at Fleet Farm for $6.49.

I'd not thought making sure my OPE had a silicon ADBV but I'll remember this now. At least for my air cooled engines. Thanks!
The adbv not huge deal on OPE, imo. But, if one can get it and at a significantly lower cost, it's a win win. Because of economies of scale, OPE filters tend to be pricey for what they are. If room permits, I always choose the automotive application.

pretty sure I have the same engine in my Husky rider and a Fram 3614 or Supertech equivalent fits nicely
FWIW this also fits Harley Davidson, Briggs, and Kohlers and some Toyotas in a pinch.

For a Summer time use machine definitely get the 21 micron.

One thing I must do is see one of these machines up close to check/measure the clearance I have.

This is the John Deere X570 my in laws are selling.
Since hitting the internet for attachments and parts, I've learned, "Green paint is expensive".

XG or FE3614 is a direct match and is 99%+@20 microns. I used an XG3600 on my FR730V for 139 hours, and switched to the Fram Endurance. No complaints or issues.

Why just for summer?
Say you have 2 same size oil filters, both cellulose media one about 99 to 96% efficiency with 20 micron dirt and the second oil filter is 99 to 96% efficient with 30 microns.
The 20 micron is going to bypass alot more oil when cold than the 30. And anyone who cuts open filters knows that your oil filter sits threads up any dirt that falls off the media will collect at the bottom of the oil filter, right under the built in bypass...
If there's a pinch of dirt sillting under the by pass what do we think is going to happen on a cold start when a whole bunch of oil goes through the bypass???
If you run a filter that sits horizonal or 45 degrees or does not have a bypass built into the filter don't worryaboutit.

Or pay twice as much get a same size synthetic media filter that does 20 microns at 99% and flows more than the 30 micron paper, but it costs 2 to 4 times as much as a paper filter.
Or for a $ or 2 more and get an extra big paper filter, assuming you have room to hang it.

Say you have 2 same size oil filters, both cellulose media one about 99 to 96% efficiency with 20 micron dirt and the second oil filter is 99 to 96% efficient with 30 microns.
The 20 micron is going to bypass alot more oil when cold than the 30. And anyone who cuts open filters knows that your oil filter sits threads up any dirt that falls off the media will collect at the bottom of the oil filter, right under the built in bypass...
If there's a pinch of dirt sillting under the by pass what do we think is going to happen on a cold start when a whole bunch of oil goes through the bypass???
If you run a filter that sits horizonal or 45 degrees or does not have a bypass built into the filter don't worryaboutit.

Or pay twice as much get a same size synthetic media filter that does 20 microns at 99% and flows more than the 30 micron paper, but it costs 2 to 4 times as much as a paper filter.
Or for a $ or 2 more and get an extra big paper filter, assuming you have room to hang it.
Nope, you can’t claim a 20 micron will bypass more than a 30 micron on its face. You’d need to see the differential pressure curves that show the amount of GPM through the filter and the restriction (differential pressure) from the media itself and design, and then compare bypass ratings and the amount of time either filter would be in bypass. It’s much lower than you’d expect, and I’d wager that OPE will literally almost NEVER cause an auto filter to bypass, since they don’t generate anywhere near the amount of flow that an auto engine will.

The original Fram Ultra design was verified to not only filter SUPREMELY well even below 20 micron, but to also have among the least differential pressure (read: least restrictive element). Just flinging stuff against the wall based on micron ratings doesn’t work here. Sorry 🤷‍♀️

Say you have 2 same size oil filters, both cellulose media one about 99 to 96% efficiency with 20 micron dirt and the second oil filter is 99 to 96% efficient with 30 microns. The 20 micron is going to bypass alot more oil when cold than the 30.
That's a misconception. As @SubieRubyRoo explained, you would have to actually see the dP vs flow vs oil viscosity curve of the filter, and look at the filter's bypass setting along with the actual oil flow from the engine's oil pump to get a real handle on what will happen. Trying to determine all of that by just looking at the efficiency rating is totally useless. Need a curve like this.

1695842229867.jpeg

Last edited:
Obviously all filters aren't created equal.
I have already seen pressure differential increase going from a 45 micron paper filter to a same canister size 25 micron with new hydraulic filters running cold iso32, cold being about 36f. Same oil, same temperature, same flow had around a third more back pressure with the smaller micron filter.

That's a misconception. As @SubieRubyRoo explained, you would have to actually see the dP vs flow vs oil viscosity curve of the filter, and look at the filter's bypass setting along with the actual oil flow from the engine's oil pump to get a real handle on what will happen. Trying to determine all of that by just looking at the efficiency rating is totally useless. Need a curve like this.

View attachment 180742
That pretty much proves my point aren't Royal purple filters like 99% efficient at 15 micron and aren't the new generation of wix XP just higher end rock catchers doing something like 95% efficiency at 35 micron?
It's probably way worse when cold, as in below freezing.
If the filter has a built in bypass, you're probably bypassing at 300 inches of water pressure differential as I look on the WIX filter finder and about 90% of the filters with a built in bypass are rated for 8 to 11psid.

Obviously all filters aren't created equal.
I have already seen pressure differential increase going from a 45 micron paper filter to a same canister size 25 micron with new hydraulic filters running cold iso32, cold being about 36f. Same oil, same temperature, same flow had around a third more back pressure with the smaller micron filter.
How are you seeing this data? You have your engine instrumented with dP gauges, etc? If you are comparing hydraulic filters to automotive filters, it's not a good comparison.

That pretty much proves my point aren't Royal purple filters like 99% efficient at 15 micron and aren't the new generation of wix XP just higher end rock catchers doing something like 95% efficiency at 35 micron?
It's probably way worse when cold, as in below freezing.
If the filter has a built in bypass, you're probably bypassing at 300 inches of water pressure differential as I look on the WIX filter finder and about 90% of the filters with a built in bypass are rated for 8 to 11psid.
That Royal Purple is not 99% efficiency @ 15u (see link below - more like 96.5% @ 15u). It's worse efficiency than the Fram Ultra in that testing (Ultra shows 99.8@ @ 15u), but yet the Ultra flow dP was better. That's why you can not "conclude" that a more efficient oil filter will result in more dP. You have to test it to see, just like Ascent did in the ISO 4548-12 test.

Back