Who is "Bob"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I don't think he ever forsaw the tremendous growth of BobIsTheOilGuy.

I don't think anyone could have forecast this much popularity for a motor oil forum. I'm going to start a competing website tonyIsThePowerSteeringFluidGuy.com and see if I can match his popularity

nuskool,

You keep asking about everyone's credentials on this board and you fail to realize that we have many very well informed members. Some have degrees in various oil related fields and others have studied in depth. Each group has a lot of valuable information to offer. I have learned a lot concerning oil and vehicle maintenance just listening to my husband and reading post on this board. I worked for an oil and gas company and that gave me an understanding of the importance of using quality products in my vehicles. If the members were not interested in the best products for their application they would not be here. This is a website for members to share information and learn in a relaxed setting -- we do not give test at the end of the semester.

We probably should receive a test?
56.gif

I feel like when I joined this site I knew more about lubricants than 99% of the people out in the world.
I now know more than 99.1% of the people out there which is not saying a lot........
I'm sure my percentage would be much lower compared to the members on this great board.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hr1940
nuskool,

You keep asking about everyone's credentials on this board and you fail to realize that we have many very well informed members. Some have degrees in various oil related fields and others have studied in depth. Each group has a lot of valuable information to offer. I have learned a lot concerning oil and vehicle maintenance just listening to my husband and reading post on this board. I worked for an oil and gas company and that gave me an understanding of the importance of using quality products in my vehicles. If the members were not interested in the best products for their application they would not be here. This is a website for members to share information and learn in a relaxed setting -- we do not give test at the end of the semester.

+1

Hi nuskool,

There is a lot of information in the Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additives topical section

Study the many technical articles there as they contain a lot of testing and research data.

Originally, the Question of the Day thread was set up as a Q&A slot to educate people who were going to test for their CLS certificates.

The Technical and White Papers thread was an attempt to supply research data and industry insight into how lubricants are made and to supply information on new additive chemistries.

SO if you sell oil, this area would be very advantageous to you.

BTW, we are all students as learning is a lifelong endeavor. You don't get get a degree and then know all there is to know about a particular subject. Education is "Continuing."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nuskool
Forgive me, but I don't know Bob. I was wondering who he is.

I started reading the first article on the home page and only got through a couple of paragraphs before I realized that "Bob" has not said anything about who he is, what he does and why he is enough of an expert to write articles about oil.

I'm not doubting anything, but to be fair, I'm not going to sign on to an accounting forum and read what a mechanic has to say about handling money. (I'm not signing onto an accounting forum anyway, just making a point.)

SO..... Who is "Bob"? And why is he qualified to write articles about oil?

You've been here for nearly 4 yrs and you don't know who Bob is ??...... Been discussed a few times over the years.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
nuskool,

With all due respect, I think you're misunderstanding me. I don't fail to realize anything. I was only asking about the credentials of the person that wrote the article on motor oil on the sites homepage. I haven't asked for anything more than that. I am well aware there are many very qualified people on the forum. But I was only interested in the one that wrote the article.

It is my opinion that any article of any nature that is based in fact and not opinion (and often times even then) should show the authors credentials.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: nuskool
Forgive me, but I don't know Bob. I was wondering who he is.

I started reading the first article on the home page and only got through a couple of paragraphs before I realized that "Bob" has not said anything about who he is, what he does and why he is enough of an expert to write articles about oil.

I'm not doubting anything, but to be fair, I'm not going to sign on to an accounting forum and read what a mechanic has to say about handling money. (I'm not signing onto an accounting forum anyway, just making a point.)

SO..... Who is "Bob"? And why is he qualified to write articles about oil?

You've been here for nearly 4 yrs and you don't know who Bob is ??...... Been discussed a few times over the years.

Has it been that long? Anyway, to be honest I never really thought to ask and was primarily just enjoying the forums and never really read the articles on the homepage. That and I have not been active for quite some time. So if it's been discussed a few times over the years, I have missed it. Not surprising considering the size of the forum and the fact that I don't usually read the off topic section.

Quote:
It is my opinion that any article of any nature that is based in fact and not opinion (and often times even then) should show the authors credentials.

If this were a Peer Reviewed Journal or an industrial magazine such as TLT, this might be the case but not here.

You can also click on the authors name and his profile will give some indication of his background.

BTW, which Bob article are you referring to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back