Who here has satellite radio in your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I both have it in our vehicles. I typically listen to Bluesville, Classic Vinyl, or NPR. Since the wife usually has the kids, it’s Kids Place Live for her.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I got it for a free 3 month trial in my new Corvette and decided to continue paying for it, at least for the time being. I mainly listen to Ozzy's Boneyard and Hair Nation but I also listen to the other metal channels too like Octane, Lithium, Liquid Metal and XM Turbo.

That closely mirrors my selection too
thumbsup2.gif

I mostly listen to the music channels and maybe once in a while the laugh channel. As for the quality, lots of people seem to hate it. I'm not sure if I just have low standards or if the Harman Kardon system in my car is better, but it sounds fine to me. I also have spotify so I just listen to it once in a while when I get tired of spotify.

Anyway, here's a tip for all of you, you can get a 6 month subscription to their select package for $30 plus royalty fees. I do it all the time, been going on for the last few years. I think they also have 5 months for $25 sometimes too. Anyway, I've gotten it down to a bit under 10 minutes to do it. You have to call them and tell you're going to cancel if you don't get that rate, they may counter and say they can only do 1 year at $99, but you still have to keep going to get the $30 for 6 months. I usually just start out and tell them I'm not interested in the $99, I know they can do the $30 for 6 months and not to waste time trying to claim it's no longer available. Once I get that out of the way, the rest of the conversation is just about terms they have to read. Otherwise they kinda pretend they have to ask the manager and put you on hold for a few minutes then claim they'll do it just this one time. Oh you also have to call the cancellation/retention number too. And then I put a note in my calendar to call just before it expires and repeat.

I won't quote Vern's post-because I know he has blocked me-but how anyone can say "commercial radio" with the myriad of commercials and narrow selection is better is beyond me.

I have listened to satellite radio while driving from Utah to the East Coast-the same station(s)-try doing that with commercial radio.

My wife likes it, since she got the mazda, the elantra is now my car. I'm too cheap to pay for radio. When the subscription runs out that's it.

I have it. Got it in my Suburban last summer for some camping and road trips. Was about to cancel and they threw another offer at me for $3 or $4 a month and I couldn’t refuse. Really, really enjoy not having to listen to local commercials. Outside of a few, I also enjoy the top-shelf hosts on Sirius XM. For example, the guys and gals on Channel 58, to me, are true pros.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I mostly listen to the music channels and maybe once in a while the laugh channel. As for the quality, lots of people seem to hate it. I'm not sure if I just have low standards or if the Harman Kardon system in my car is better, but it sounds fine to me. I also have spotify so I just listen to it once in a while when I get tired of spotify.

Anyway, here's a tip for all of you, you can get a 6 month subscription to their select package for $30 plus royalty fees. I do it all the time, been going on for the last few years. I think they also have 5 months for $25 sometimes too. Anyway, I've gotten it down to a bit under 10 minutes to do it. You have to call them and tell you're going to cancel if you don't get that rate, they may counter and say they can only do 1 year at $99, but you still have to keep going to get the $30 for 6 months. I usually just start out and tell them I'm not interested in the $99, I know they can do the $30 for 6 months and not to waste time trying to claim it's no longer available. Once I get that out of the way, the rest of the conversation is just about terms they have to read. Otherwise they kinda pretend they have to ask the manager and put you on hold for a few minutes then claim they'll do it just this one time. Oh you also have to call the cancellation/retention number too. And then I put a note in my calendar to call just before it expires and repeat.

I got the 99.00 deal again. Better than double that. But good to know about the 6 month deal.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
As for the quality, lots of people seem to hate it. I

That's because it's terrible... in the abstract, at least.

The reality? First and foremost, a car is a terrible place to listen to music. It's too small, the speakers are poorly placed, cost always trumps quality, sounds absorption and reflection are all over the map due to differing materials, you're sitting offset to the sound stage, and that's before you even actually start driving. Do that and you now get to deal with engine noise, road noise, wind noise, and the noise of everything around you.

Second, what are we comparing to? FM is equally terrible on the quality front. Try going back and forth between FM and an FM station's HD Radio counterpart on a vehicle so equipped and you'll immediately hear the difference... and HD Radio has a lot of compression, like XM does.

CD player? Ok, very few audio sources can win that battle, especially in-car... but neither my truck, nor my wife's SUV, have a CD player. They're going the way of the Dodo in automobiles.

Streaming service? That varies. I supplement my XM listening with Apple Music. Of course, this is a subscription service. Spotify has a free version, but to get the best quality available, you have to subscribe. Also, you're paying twice for that music: Once for the subscription and again for the data to stream it on your phone over the cellular network. The higher the quality, the more data you burn. This all depends on the cell network too. Get too far away from civilization and your music goes away.

XM's strong suit is that the music is commercial free (talk radio, not so much), has an incredible variety, and is available anywhere you can see the sky. That's the trade-off for a quality hit.

AM = Well water.. It might taste like butt, it might not. Some people like it?
FM = Tap water... Available most anywhere people are. Generally free. Will hydrate.
XM = Aquafina bottleed water... Have to buy it, but it's not much different that tap water. Portability built right it so it is available wherever you are.
Streaming = Voss bottled water... Have to buy it, for a lot more money, and it's hard to come by in rural areas.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Streaming service? That varies. I supplement my XM listening with Apple Music. Of course, this is a subscription service. Spotify has a free version, but to get the best quality available, you have to subscribe. Also, you're paying twice for that music: Once for the subscription and again for the data to stream it on your phone over the cellular network. The higher the quality, the more data you burn. This all depends on the cell network too. Get too far away from civilization and your music goes away.

I have the paid version of Spotify. You can download your playlist and use it offline for 30 days. I use an ipod touch and plug it into the car.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I got the 99.00 deal again. Better than double that. But good to know about the 6 month deal.

You can just call now and demand the $30 deal. They'll cancel the old deal and pro-rate you for the new deal. $40 is $40...

Originally Posted By: CKN
I won't quote Vern's post-because I know he has blocked me-but how anyone can say "commercial radio" with the myriad of commercials and narrow selection is better is beyond me.

I have listened to satellite radio while driving from Utah to the East Coast-the same station(s)-try doing that with commercial radio.

I totally get where Vern is coming from. While I may have to endure more ads on FM, the sound quality is so much better, at least when I am within range of HD stations.

Every year I subscribe to XM during the summer months, so that when my wife and I take a road trip we can listen to the radio while out in the large expanses of the West. I really do enjoy the '60s and '70s stations. For only a while. Then my wife and I both get tired of the poor fidelity. So we start searching for a local station, and if we can't find one we turn it off. I get to the point where silence is better than listening to that compressed [censored].

We always cancel the service when the 5 month discount period ends. They always ask what they can do to get me back as a customer. And I tell them. Get rid of the gosh awful compression.

As far as the comparison of XM to bottled water, I would say it is more like ultra purified water. The stuff that has been through sediment and charcoal filters, then a water softener, next deionization tanks, and lastly through R.O. When it is done it may be pure, but it is flavorless. Bottled water has had minerals added back in after purification, to give the water flavor. But XM is flavorless to the ear.

I would much rather listen to local radio stations with local ads and local personalities than listen to music that is flat.

Last edited:
I have it in my Fusion. Used it for about 2 weeks when I first bought it, since it was free, but have not used it once since then. Really [censored] sound quality, and just not enough there worth paying for, IMHO.

My 16GB USB holds enough music to get me through over 3 months of daily commute.

Used to be a subscriber from 2002 or so till last year. XM or Sirius, had a couple units including the portables. It was great.

But I got tired of the games with pricing and having to call to cancel to get something reasonable, the ever increasing fees, being tied to 1 vehicle, etc.

With my latest Android phone, I tried Google Play Music. $10/mo and I get to pick stations, songs, etc. Stations will download automatically to my phone when I'm on WiFi so I don't use data. Sound quality is great and I can use it on my headphones, any system with 3.5mm, any system over Buetooth.

It's great and much better than SiriusXM.

Have had sirius since 2008, 1st year was free, since then, $25.00 for 6 months, last year they upped the price, $34.00 for 6 months. When time comes to cancel, I call, they offer the 1 year $99.00 deal, I say no, then they offer the 6 month deal. Same thing every 6 months, marked on calender, if not they will zap your card for regular 1 year price. Use to cancel in early years, then month later they said a deal thru the mail. I always refer this to them, next month I'll receive a letter with offer. Funny, the wife listens to it in her jeep. I just pay.

80s, 90s, Lithium, Rock, Backspin and Fox Business News.

I let my subscription lapse for about 6 months. Renewal time came around and their pricing wasn't the best. Canceled and waited for them to send me a $60/yr deal.....picked it back up last November.

I've Been a Sirius Subscriber since....roughly the time Stern came over. in fact that was my primary reason for subscribing. I was working 3rds, and could listen to the whole show after work.

then i switched to 1st shift, and fell out of the stern habit..

thinking of cancelling it in my car, same reason as everyone else... got my annual renewal notice the other day. $157.
and I don't listen to it much. they've restructured the channels too much , and the compression just gets more and more noticeable...
plus I have a 16GB Flash drive full of music that I can listen to over and over and it doesn't get old.(I'm weird like that) though the satellite did come in handy on the road trip my buddy and i took to Okla. last summer.
his tastes and mine are similar, but different enough that what i have on the flash drive didn't always cut it for both of us..

anyhow, the Channels I normally listen to:
90's on 9, Lithium, Raw Dog, Comedy Central Radio, Nascar, and...I have one more preset... I forget...Oh well.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
We do. Long trip are good for "radio classics" detective stories. Jack Benny not so much.
The old radio shows are most enjoyable.

It’s ok for $5 a month or so. Definitely not worth what they ask without negotiating. Sound quality is not great. The mix of music is sometimes terrible. 1 good song 5 annoying. Good for long remote drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back