which V6 is best..Ford 3.7, GM 3.6 or FCA 3.6

If I was given a GM 3.6 I would sell it as quickly as possible. Loads of issues, to think they got rid of the 3.8 for this pile of manure. Worse economy as well. Maybe it is fixed now, after 10 years of crap, I struggle to believe it.

Rod

I've owned the GM 3.6 and currently own the Pentastar. I like both, but the Pentastar is my preference mainly due to it not being a DI engine. The Pentastar works REALLY well with the manual transmission in the Jeep JL Wrangler. It is a newer updated version with 15% more torque pretty much across the rev range. It is a hoot to drive. It pulls strong from idle on up and gets an extra kick in the pants at about 4500 rpm that lasts to red line. I never drove the GM 3.6 with a manual, but it worked well with the 6 speed auto in our Buick Enclave. The fuel efficiency has been a surprise. It has gotten around 22mpg and touched 23 on long highway trips. That's in a Wrangler with a lift and 35" tires! It is almost shocking! My old 3.8 JK, which weighs about the same and has smaller tires (33") can barely get 18 with a tail wind. (Both are 6 speed manuals)

I've no experience with the Ford except with my boss having one that has very high mileage with no issues.

Originally Posted by Ram02
GM 3.6 Hands down the timing chain issues has been addressed already.

They have made tons of revisions to the 3.6 over the years. It still is a weak engine in my opinion. Weak in terms of quality, not power. GM makes incredible LS based engines that can run forever and yet they saddle the majority of their vehicles with the 3.6. I'd rather take the 4.3 pushrod V6 over the needlessly complex 3.6.

However when you compare the GM 3.6 to the FCA and Ford its not that far behind in quality so probably buy what you like and try to take care of it.

I'd probably trust the Mopar … was looking at ZR2's and almost got the diesel … Switched to shopping Rubicon and preferred the Pentastar. We have a 2013 Charger with one and 70k trouble free miles to date … Like the power delivery …

No experience with Ford or FCA. Have 2011 Chevy Traverse with 3.6L V6. Have had zero issues with it. Then again, it gets oil changed by us with PUP every 6k miles max. I asked elsewhere why GDI is harder on engines / oil, but didn't get a response. I guess I'll have to google it.

Have 120k miles on it.

Originally Posted by pbm
Thanks HemiBenny.....I'm interested in the 3.7 Mustang which is RWD so the water pump issue doesn't apply....I do wonder how such poor
engineering ever gets to production (the WP design in the FWD 3.7)...but then again the timing chain issue in the GM and oil filter mount
problem in the FCA shouldn't be happening either.

As far as the Nissan VQ 3.5...it's a great engine (a Wards 10 best at one point).....my dad had a 3.0 version in his 99' Maxima...I'd be leery
of buying any new Nissan because of their CVT issues....why take a chance.

Yeah, it's astonishing how so many problems plague manufacturers for so long before they get it resolved, or the fact that it even made it into production to begin with. A great example is a Chrysler 2.7l. I'm a Mopar guy, but I wouldn't touch one of those useless boat anchors at all. With that said, I have a 2011 Ram with a 5.7l and acording to the internet, I'm a day away from walking because I'll have a chewed up cam. The Internet really blows a lot of these problems way out of proportion,....with the exception of the mentioned 2.7l. Lol
If you're seriously looking at a Mustang with the 3.7l, it should be a reasonably trouble free engine since the water pump issue is removed. We have an F150 work truck at our car lot that has a 3.7l with 189,000+ miles and it runs great, we use it as a run about for parts and errands, Still, the Pentastar 3.6l is better in my opinion, I'm unashamedly biased though. Lol

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've owned the GM 3.6 and currently own the Pentastar. I like both, but the Pentastar is my preference mainly due to it not being a DI engine. The Pentastar works REALLY well with the manual transmission in the Jeep JL Wrangler. It is a newer updated version with 15% more torque pretty much across the rev range. It is a hoot to drive. It pulls strong from idle on up and gets an extra kick in the pants at about 4500 rpm that lasts to red line. I never drove the GM 3.6 with a manual, but it worked well with the 6 speed auto in our Buick Enclave. The fuel efficiency has been a surprise. It has gotten around 22mpg and touched 23 on long highway trips. That's in a Wrangler with a lift and 35" tires! It is almost shocking! My old 3.8 JK, which weighs about the same and has smaller tires (33") can barely get 18 with a tail wind. (Both are 6 speed manuals)

I've no experience with the Ford except with my boss having one that has very high mileage with no issues.

+1 on the Pentastar and the fact it still doesn't have DI. I'm hoping they keep it that way for another year or two. We might be in the market for a new Grand Cherokee with the 3.6.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
A Dodge Charger rental I had in Florida a few year ago was stunning with the Pentastar V6

I had to open the hood a couple days in, as I could not believe it was a 6. Very torquey and powerful. I think It was a "ringer".

One of the best rentals I've had in a decade other than Grand Marquis and Buick LeSabre and a 2012 Kia Forte 4 door.

I like the LeSabre and the GM interior better than the Dodge though. And either the GM or LeSabre helm response was better than the Dodge. But I'm sure the Dodge front end could be made more responsive with a few parts and adjustments.

The "power" sensation you felt was due to the ZF-8.

Well the trans was good and unobtrusive, I'm not sure what trans was in it - I think a 5 speed. It was more than a "sensation" of power/ I 've been around 300+ HP for over 50 years and I know it when I drive it. Had some runs with Mustang V8 convertible guys at 80-115+ on I-75 North and they didn't leave me and I passed them a few times. Best engine in any car I've driven. Better than my BMW 3,2 M series. - S52B32.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DGXR
GM 3800 gen 2

I agree.....I almost picked up a 2005 LaSabre with 78K last year but I have too many cars as it is.....a great engine replaced by a good engine with issues, IMO....

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by DGXR
GM 3800 gen 2

I agree.....I almost picked up a 2005 LaSabre with 78K last year but I have too many cars as it is.....a great engine replaced by a good engine with issues, IMO....

I honestly feel the GM 3800 is one of the best engines ever made.

Back