Which Rain-X ?

There is Rain-X Original Liquid , Rain-X 2 in 1 Spray and Rain-X Aerosol ... Which do you prefer and why ?

I've seen a few YouTube videos on the comparison between regular Rain-X and Aquapel.
When first applied, the R-X beads water and rolls up the water better on the windscreen. However it doesn't last nearly as long.
OTOH, the Aquapel remains the same(water beading & roll up in the glass) for months even though its initial impression
(at first) isn't as impressive at R-X in the side-by-side comparison.

So what is a good price to pay for it and where to buy? I've used Rain-X for a very long time, it works ok for me but I'm willing to look at another option. When Rain-X took away the "damages paint" warning years ago it was obvious something changed in the formula and it wasn't nearly as good.

There is Rain-X Original Liquid , Rain-X 2 in 1 Spray and Rain-X Aerosol ... Which do you prefer and why ?
Glass science has a gel water repellent that works really well. I've used it on a number of vehicles.

I used it several years ago, didn't care much for it. Found it rather useless until you hit about 70 mph. At that point you just turn the wipers off.
I don't drive 70 mph in the rain much anymore.

I liked the original rain x bottles.
In the spray bottle form it tastes bad and irritates my lungs when the wind blows wrong

Aquapel will last 9 to 10 months on my daily driver in rainy Seattle weather. For side windows, I just use my regular ceramic or graphene spray and that will last a good 8 months or more.

When Rain-X took away the "damages paint" warning years ago it was obvious something changed in the formula and it wasn't nearly as good.
IDK if I can explain this very well but here goes.

I remember using the original Rain-X product and one thing that I didn't like about it was that it rainbow'd terribly on my glass...
at night in the rain, going under the overhead lights on the highway or with oncoming vehicle lights, when I had to use intermittent wiper function. Rain-X rainbow'd to the point that I lost vision for a split second while passing under those lights or on coming lights. Yes, you still have to use wipers at night in the rain when using these glass products. Unless you're going so fast(in which I don't recommend at nigh in the rain) that the rain rolls up on the glass.

Another thing that I didn't like about the original Rain-X(as c502cid mentioned) was that it stained the paint for quite some time until it wore off with multiple washes.

However, I do remember that the original Rain-X also lasted longer and was more impressive at the water beading "roll up" on the glass, when first applied and for several weeks before slowly diminishing.

Just know that if you use those products, windshield * (star) repairs won't be invisible. I had a star on a Ford truck windshield repaired by Safelite and the guy told me if I hadn't used RainX, the repair would be invisible. But he said the repair would hold.

Back