Which oil for 0W-20 and low mileage use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

A friend sent me here with my question. We have two 2014 Mazdas which use 0W-20 oil. For warranty purposes, Mazda requires us to change oil every six months. These cars are both about 20 months old and have about 7000 miles each on them. We were using the Mazda 0W-20, but the dealers have just raised the prices to almost $10 a quart (from $6.50). Because we drive such low mileage, no more than about 3000 miles in the six month intervals, I'm looking for a good but less expensive oil. Just checking at Walmart, they have five quart 0W-20 in three flavors - Valvoline SynPower, Mobile 1, and Pennzoil Platinum - all within a couple of bucks of each other (and about half the cost of the Mazda oil).

Is there any advantage to any of these over the others? Or should I just find a three-sided coin to flip?

Any help much appreciated.

If you have a NAPA nearby they often have sales on the NAPA brand 0W20 for 3.49 a quart. Buy enough cases to last though the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
If you have a NAPA nearby they often have sales on the NAPA brand 0W20 for 3.49 a quart. Buy enough cases to last though the warranty period.

This is what I'm using. It's very close to Valvoline Synpower.

I would use Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 0w20...or even TGMO which is closer to the Mazda oil if thats your thing.

All three are solid, hard to recommend one over another. There are some reports that lower calcium in the ad pack is beneficial (or at least less detrimental) to GDI engines.

If you used that as a factor, Castrol Edge wins with Mobil 1 second.

But in all honesty, as previously mentioned there really isn't a bad 0w-20

For such low miles to but to maintain warranty I'd use the cheapest name brand 0w20 I could find. Castrol Magnatech comes to mind, AAP has it on sale for $23.99 a jug with filter up to $11.99 pretty hard to beat that.

I'd say supertech but they don't have 0w2 I live in an oven or s Texas so o just use supertech syn 5w20. Best bang for the buck if your like me and don't like searching around for special deals. Qsud is always $21 at WalMart regular price.but load of mollyin their 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back