Which Oil Brand To Use In New 05 F-350 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys been a while since I'ved posted around here but I have a question I'd liked ansewerd.

My Parents just orderd a 05 F-350 XLT Dually 4X4 Diesel. My question of concern is first: How long should I keep the factory fill oil in the engine. Should I change at 1,000 miles then at 5,000 miles or what?

Now to oil Type. I work at a automatic transmission shop which also is doubled as a Mobil 1 oil change facility(I do the oil changes and yes there always done right to my specs. Any way, I've got access to a drive up lift that would make the oil changes much easier. I Also have access to Delvac 1300 Diesel oil. So should I use delvac(is it a good oil?) Or Chevron, Rotella or maybe a syn(WE've fot cases of the Mobil 1 truck and Suv Formula.

Oh before I forget We will be using the truck to tow our 3 horse trailer with horses and tack and occasionally we'll have our lance camper on along with the horse trailer. We will also tow other trailers such as a tractor and a utility. Which leads me to another. Would it be okay to tow At the 500 mile mark or should I wait till 1,000 miles and tow with 15W-40 Just need some advice.

Thanks John
cool.gif

[ December 10, 2004, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: John With Beastly 302 ]

Look up the ford diesel uoa site in the diesel uoa section posted by 59 Vetteman. Any of the oils you mentioned that meet the specs for the engine will be fine. Also study the uoa section and you may get a good idea of which oil to try . The truck is ready for work, don't forget to change the differential oils and trans oil to get the breakin wear out.

[ December 10, 2004, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Your plan is basically the same one I used for my 6.0. I then went with shy 4000 mile dino changes up till the 15000 mi. mark and made the switch to synthetic. I use Amsoil but I would use the Mobil 1 SUV. If you get a special price that would make the Mobil 1 even more attractive. I also do the camper and enclosed snomobile trailer thing grossing at around 17500lbs. Truck is great for it.
I would see what the owners manual says regarding when to start towing or ask the dealer when its safe to tow.
My experience with my 6.0 is it that it seems to like a slightly lighter vis. oil ie. better fuel economy. So even though I've played around with some different oils I'll stick with the 5w30 Amsoil from here on out but thats just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back