2 Year Old OIl

KDM

I last changed the oil 2 years ago in my 1996 Ford F350 Powerstoke using Chevron DELO 15W-40 LE. I have ony put about 1,000 miles on this oil, with very little towing. I antcipate towing my 5th Wheel camper on a couple of short distance (200 miles or less) trips this summer. Should I change the oil prior to these excursions?

Thanks

Not enough to merit it, should still be fine. Seen some tractor UOA's and after 1-2 years with typical farm use the tbn is typically around 5-8 down from 10.

Not enough to merit it, should still be fine. Seen some tractor UOA's and after 1-2 years with typical farm use the tbn is typically around 5-8 down from 10.
What did the fuel dillution and soot look like though? TBN is not a very good metric to determine if oil is still good in a PSD or older ag tractor since all the fuel no is ULSD, it's more likely that the oil will reach the end of it's life because of shearing either mechanically or through dillution or from soot build up far before the TBN is depleted when used in older engines with no bypass filtration system.

I personally would wait at least until your next road trips are over get your money out of that oil .....
I have two spare powerstrokes both 6.4 one a extra flatbed that gets used only when a newer one is down less than 1k last year

One is a snowplow and it hasn't snowed enough in Oklahoma the last two years to put 500 miles on it

Both have Lucas 15w40 Magnum CJ-4 I plan on changing both at the 4 year mark regardless of the minimal miles

I get more worried about the diesel fuel being old

Safe travels Sir

I've owned a 7.3L also & there is no need to change 1k 2yr old oil. At least put another year or 2 on it.

Blackstone labs says go by mileage and not calendars. As long as there is no open breather on the engine you are good to go for probably a decade or longer. My brain however would still insist on changing it in 4-5 years out of caution, chances are leaks or seals will probably have started to compromise by then anyway so a general inspection is a good idea.

I'd change it if for no other reason than it would make me feel better. Also gives you a chance to give the vehicle a look see.

Back