2005 5.9 Cummins Oil- Low Priced

I am not up on the current HDEOs. Have a 2005 Dodge 3500 dually 6 speed with 95k miles. Truck is driven about 4,000-5,000 miles a year, some towing, but nothing super heavy. Operated in Northern California, coldest temps is sees is about 32f, hottest 105f. I have been using Kirkland 15w-40 and changing once a year, but looks like my local Costco doesn't have it anymore. What is a good low cost oil, that meets that will work well, and preferably can be delivered by Amazon. Candidates appear to be Rotella T4, Chevron Delo (which one?), Valvoline Blue, Mobile Delvac 1300 Super.

Thanks

I believe that may work with 20086? There are many oils that claim to meet that Cummins spec. I think SuperTech might even too. I've been buying the Mobil Delvac Extreme 15w-40 & there was one poster here that put 11k miles on his Cummins while pulling a 5th wheel RV. The results were great too. I'm not sure if Amazon has the cheapest oil deals but i'm sure you can find something. The basic Delo is now a synthetic blend but I don't know if it's hit the store shelves yet. I like the T4 too.

Anything CK-4 or CK-4/SN should meet CES20086.

Mobil Delvac 1300 usually has good prices at Wally World or check your local farm type store for five gallon buckets of 15w40 whether name band or house brand.

That low of mileage and California temps I wouldn’t overthink this.

Candidates appear to be Rotella T4, Chevron Delo (which one?), Valvoline Blue, Mobile Delvac 1300 Super.
Delvac 1 Extreme 15W-40 or Rotella T6 15W-40. It's worth the extra few bucks, and just change it once a year.

I'd run a cheap 15w40 changed once a year. You can get 2 gallons of Supertech for $24, 1 gallon for $13. I bet you could do the whole oil change for $50.

Thanks. Was able to order Delvac 1300 for $14.42 a gallon from the WallyWorld website with free shipping. Picked up 7 gallons, which should keep me good for a couple of years. More than adequate for my use, on a stock truck, that at most is pulling an 8,000 pound trailer from time to time. (Yes a 1 ton dually is complete overkill, but it was my neighbor's that I had known for more than 30 years, and after he passed away, his wife sold it to me for a good price.)

Delvac 1300 is good stuff. I have a gallon in my basement for use in my lawnmower and pressure washer. I've run it in my truck and wife's car during warmer months too. Ran back when I had my 2006 5.9 diesel as well.

I’d recommend a dbl7349 filter, I have one on my 95 Cummins and it seems to keep oil cleaner longer of course that is up for debate but it also has an excellent efficiency rating with Donaldson’s synteq media.

I’d recommend a dbl7349 filter, I have one on my 95 Cummins and it seems to keep oil cleaner longer of course that is up for debate but it also has an excellent efficiency rating with Donaldson’s synteq media.
Will look at. Have 2 Fleetguard LF16035 still that were supposed to be good when bought them. Need to do shocks, front end rebuild and 6 tires on it, so trying not to spend extra on other things until then.

Will look at. Have 2 Fleetguard LF16035 still that were supposed to be good when bought them. Need to do shocks, front end rebuild and 6 tires on it, so trying not to spend extra on other things until then.
That’s also a great filter I hear, supposed to have bypass filter inside. Can’t go wrong with fleet guard filters.

No, the LF9028 is the stacked disc bypass filter. The LF16035 is full flow synthetic media (Stratapore).
Since I am not up on filter design, can you explain or point to a source of the differences in the two designs and pros and cons. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks. Was able to order Delvac 1300 for $14.42 a gallon from the WallyWorld website with free shipping. Picked up 7 gallons, which should keep me good for a couple of years. More than adequate for my use, on a stock truck, that at most is pulling an 8,000 pound trailer from time to time. (Yes a 1 ton dually is complete overkill, but it was my neighbor's that I had known for more than 30 years, and after he passed away, his wife sold it to me for a good price.)
Seven US gallons should be perfect for two oil changes. My SIL's 6.7 holds 13L with filter if I change it hot and let it drip for an hour.
Do the transmission ATF and band adjustment, front & rear diffs, power steering fluid and transfer case.
Watch the age of the tires, the spare could be new looking, but aged out.

Seven US gallons should be perfect for two oil changes. My SIL's 6.7 holds 13L with filter if I change it hot and let it drip for an hour.
Do the transmission ATF and band adjustment, front & rear diffs, power steering fluid and transfer case.
Watch the age of the tires, the spare could be new looking, but aged out.
Changed all the driveline fluids two years ago, should do power steering. No band adjustments, just replace the clutch when worn out, it is a three pedal model with a 6 speed. It would have been nice if they would have put a taller 6th gear or higher gears in it, as it turns over 2000rpm at 70mph in 6th. That said, not taking it on long trips unless towing, so really doesn't matter, but would suck to drive down highway 5 where the average speed is 85mph unloaded.

As others have said, can’t go wrong with any. I have been running Delvac 1300 and delo recently. I wouldn’t hesitate to use any of the big names. Supertech may be similar/the same as the Kirkland, fwiw.

Last edited:
Back