Mobil 1 advanced vs Pennzoil ultra platinum which cleans best!

The problem is the API standards for piston deposits, volatility, etc... are just too weak. Even if you change the oil every 3,000 miles, the accumulation of carbon deposits still happens with a fresh oil change the first couple times the oil gets hot and the light ends evaporate off. I've been inside several engines that had routine 3k mile oil changes like clockwork that had oil consumption, stuck rings, and sludge under the valve cover and in the oil pan. No consistent short tripping or extreme use, just daily commuter engines.

You must be extremely tiny.

Keeping things clean vs cleaning. Ideally you want both. Many oils have great oxidation resistance, not enough solvency to clean more stubborn carbon deposits. Oils using more ester/ANs can clean. But it gets complicated and murky. Red Line is a PAO/POE NPG Ester with an oxidation value of ranging from 90-130. How polar depends on the chain length. The OH group is at the end of the chain. Longer chains, fewer OH groups per molar volume. Would Red Line do as well on the Seq IIIH as Mobil 1? (My guess is no) Would the high moly and high metallic additives negate the effectiveness of the high esters? What good is that ester content if the AO's and base oil blend can't resist oxidation as well as Mobil 1? It always comes back around to testing, otherwise you're guessing. I was surprised how poorly Red Line did on the TEOST test as it barely passed it (likely due to the moly).

Many look at oxidation values above 30 for some guesstimate, although that excludes oils using ANs. Red Line is a PAO/POE NPG ester with oxidation values ranging from 90-130. HPL's SAE30 EC has an oxidation value of 113. Valvoline Restore is 110. Amsoil SS is in the 40-60 range. That solvency is great, but again, it's just one aspect of the entire formulation.

I would lean towards thinking that oils containing more of the polar base oils would keep engines cleaner, but only if the entire formulation is sound.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think any oil is going to clean your piston rigs/lands/groves. Now could an a good prevent buildup in that part of the piston? I think some can more than others, but I wouldn’t expect any oil to be able to actually clean that area. I wouldn’t even trust many products that claim they can - I’m talking the piston soak stuff - in my experience once the rings are stuck, they’re staying stuck. The key is not to allow them to get stuck in the first place, and even that’s hard to do on some engines. Some engines are just poorly designed...and it doesn’t help when that poorly designed engine is also being extended on oil change intervals, or neglect. And then someone comes along and buys that car with 120,000 miles on it and thinks they’re going to cure abuse (and poor design) with an off the shelf Mobil1 or Pennzoil. It’s not happening, IMO.
How about seafoam in crankcase? I'm 4.5 quarts oil, seafoam is 1 oz per quart. 5 ozs seafoam...clean up rings and in-between cylinder? Add it last 400 miles before oil change

Hello OP,

You can find some answers to your questions if you try Google:

PUP cleaning, BITOG
M1 cleaning, BITOG
SEAFOAM, BITOG
Etc..

How about seafoam in crankcase? I'm 4.5 quarts oil, seafoam is 1 oz per quart. 5 ozs seafoam...clean up rings and in-between cylinder? Add it last 400 miles before oil change
Do I think seafoam will will clean up the rings if added to the crankcase? No. Maybe it can, maybe it will, my opinion is it won’t.

I’d check out some of the YouTube videos on freeing up piston rings/piston soaks. I will tell it’s very hard to free up stuck piston rings, but there’s some good videos on the subject.

The two solvents in Seafoam are isopropyl alcohol and light naphtha which have boiling points of 179°F and 194°F respectively. The piston skirt, rings, and cylinder wall range from 325-500°F. (Hence Noack test is done at 482°F (250°)) Most esters have boiling points of 550-700°F which allows them to hold their ground in that hot environment and do their job.

7t1vm5.jpg

I think both will do really well. This is just my 2 cent anecdotal experience:

My personal experience is this: All of my engines with which I've seen under the valve covers after years of running mostly Mobil 1 have been squeaky clean....looked like new. VERY little varnish, just shiny silver metal. This includes a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 that we bought used. It ran on bulk dino oil up to about 104k miles, IIRC, and looked pretty varnished and gunky with mild sludge under the valve cover. After about 30k and 5 or 6 oil changes with Mobil 1 High Mileage and EP 5w30, it looked much cleaner with no mild sludge and much of the varnish removed. But none of my engines running Mobil 1 from the start have ever looked like they needed a cleanup. They all have looked great.

My 2008 Wrangler has had mostly Mobil 1 with a few runs of Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Advanced. It has 186k on it now. Valve cover gaskets were replaced a short time ago and the tech at the Jeep dealer went out of his way to tell me how the valve train was the cleanest he's seen with that kind of mileage. That also bodes well for M1. But again, it was run on it since new.

I would expect Pennzoil Platinum to do the same thing. Probably any high quality big brand synthetic will do a good job with that.

The cleanest valve train photos I've seen on BITOG were run with Red Line. But that stuff ain't cheap.

Maybe if OP is wanting a pretty good cleanup, Red Line would be a good choice. But Mobil 1 has done a good job of this for me.

I haven't looked under the valve cover on my new to me 2007 Corvette, but I'm running Mobil 1 EP for 3k on the first change (and running it pretty hard) as a clean-up run. It may not need it. It may have been run on good oil from the start, maybe even nothing but Mobil 1. Next OCI will be switched to Mobil 1 Euro 0w40.

Totally agree. XOM is the clear choice of those two.
But an Ester based oil like HPL or Redline will easily clean better than a non Ester based oil.

I've actually taken a different route will engine cleanliness.

I use a low priced full synthetic with short 4k miles/ 6 month OCI's,
and I do an STP highly concentrated engine flush ($5.97 a bottle at Walmart)
with every oil change.
How long (mile or hours) do you run the flush? I don't think I have ever seen that on the shelf, but I did not look for it.

Your typical multigrade F.E. lube is not a low deposit oil.

And I would hazard a guess that with the new engine D.I timing near the top half of the upstroke focused into a piston cup, there is not much WOT intake stroke cylinder "wall washing" anymore.

I bet that rich 11.3:1 A/F with a carb or port injection dumping a load of toluene, isopentane and xylene and benzene did a pretty good job cleaning some crud out from the top two ring lands and "grooves".

-Ken

How long (mile or hours) do you run the flush? I don't think I have ever seen that on the shelf, but I did not look for it.

Your typical multigrade F.E. lube is not a low deposit oil.

And I would hazard a guess that with the new engine D.I timing near the top half of the upstroke focused into a piston cup, there is not much WOT intake stroke cylinder "wall washing" anymore.

I bet that rich 11.3:1 A/F with a carb or port injection dumping a load of toluene, isopentane and xylene and benzene did a pretty good job cleaning some crud out from the top two ring lands and "grooves".

-Ken
I add the STP Highly Concentrated engine flush to the old oil right before the oil change.
I don't drive the car at all during this flushing and just idle the engine for 15 minutes to let the flush cleanse the inside of the engine, and then I drain out the old oil.

Also, to test the flush, I had an oil change done with new oil first, then added the flush, ran for 15 minutes and drained.
The brand new oil + the flush came out very dark so I know it's doing some significant cleaning.

From my observations the oil comes out much darker when using the STP Super Concentrated High Mileage Engine Flush (15 fl. oz.)
then when I use the Liqui Moly Proline engine flush, so I think the STP is a stronger cleaner. STP says on the bottle that their engine flush is safe to use with every oil change, so I'm hoping that is true. STP is a US company founded in the 1950's, so I do trust the company when they say it's safe to use with every oil change.

I'm doing 3 STP engine flushes in each of my vehicles, so after that the engines should be really clean inside.
After the 3 STP engine flushes in each vehicle, a perpetual short OCI of 4k/6 months with a good low priced full Synthetic 5W-30
that has a high dose of detergent additives (SuperTech with Detergent Calcium additive = 1,382ppm) should be all I'll need to keep the engines clean for the life of the vehicles.

Last edited:
I add the STP Highly Concentrated engine flush to the old oil right before the oil change.
I don't drive the car at all during this flushing and just idle the engine for 15 minutes to let the flush cleanse the inside of the engine, and then I drain out the old oil.

Also, to test the flush, I had an oil change done with new oil first, then added the flush, ran for 15 minutes and drained.
The brand new oil + the flush came out very dark so I know it's doing some significant cleaning.

From my observations the oil comes out much darker when using the STP Super Concentrated High Mileage Engine Flush (15 fl. oz.)
then when I use the Liqui Moly Proline engine flush, so I think the STP is a stronger cleaner. STP says on the bottle that their engine flush is safe to use with every oil change, so I'm hoping that is true. STP is a US company founded in the 1950's, so I do trust the company when they say it's safe to use with every oil change.

I'm doing 3 STP engine flushes in each of my vehicles, so after that the engines should be really clean inside.
After the 3 STP engine flushes in each vehicle, a perpetual short OCI of 4k/6 months with a good low priced full Synthetic 5W-30
that has a high dose of detergent additives (SuperTech with Detergent Calcium additive = 1,382ppm) should be all I'll need to keep the engines clean for the life of the vehicles.

According to the SDS, it's pretty much straight hydrotreated cycloalkanes, which are listed as a solvent with CAS #64742-53-6:
Screenshot 2023-07-19 151648.jpg

Which is apparently, a light naphtenic base oil:
Screenshot 2023-07-19 152122.jpg

The non-"super concentrated" version is 50-75% hydrotreated heavy alkanes:
Screenshot 2023-07-19 151414.jpg

So, it would basically be a mild solvent, like Seafoam, which would likely flash-off if exposed to high heat (@RDY4WAR or @MolaKule could confirm that bit).

According to the SDS, it's pretty much straight hydrotreated cycloalkanes, which are listed as a solvent with CAS #64742-53-6:
View attachment 167911

Which is apparently, a light naphtenic base oil:
View attachment 167912

The non-"super concentrated" version is 50-75% hydrotreated heavy alkanes:
View attachment 167910

So, it would basically be a mild solvent, like Seafoam, which would likely flash-off if exposed to high heat (@RDY4WAR or @MolaKule could confirm that bit).
Thanks Overkill - that was some good analysis.
You mentioned: "According to the SDS, it's pretty much straight hydrotreated cycloalkanes, which are listed as a solvent with CAS #64742-53-6. So, it would basically be a mild solvent, like Seafoam, which would likely flash-off if exposed to high heat".

How would that compare with LiquiMoly Proline Engine Flush - would it be basically the same thing?
Also, just wondering how safe the hydrotreated cycloalkanes are to engine seals (trying to confirm STP's statement that it's safe to use with every oil change) is correct.

Thanks Overkill - that was some good analysis.
You mentioned: "According to the SDS, it's pretty much straight hydrotreated cycloalkanes, which are listed as a solvent with CAS #64742-53-6. So, it would basically be a mild solvent, like Seafoam, which would likely flash-off if exposed to high heat".

How would that compare with LiquiMoly Proline Engine Flush - would it be basically the same thing?
I'd have to look at the SDS for that product to see if it's as revealing, and if so, what the ingredients we can see are. I'd be hesitant to draw any conclusion from colour change, as something as simple as oxidation in the presence of heat can cause some significant colour change while nothing else is really taking place.
Also, just wondering how safe the hydrotreated cycloalkanes are to engine seals (trying to confirm STP's statement that it's safe to use with every oil change) is correct.
That would be a question for @MolaKule, and a good one I might add.

Used to clean pistons on the old Evinrude with their CarbonGaurd - which I later understood to be a high dose of Techron 🧐

Back