which of these oils provide best wear protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of these oils in Xw30 grade, which one offers best wear protection?
Im sure all are very close, but this is BITOG! When comparing add packs and uoas what would you think best in terms of wear protection only?

QSUD
PP
PU
M1
M1 EP
M1 HM
M1 AFE
SYNPOWER
EDGE SYNTEC
EDGE TITANIUM

If you have ran two or more of these with uoas and one gave better wear numbers I would love to hear about it! If you just wanna compare add packs thats cool too.

If I had to guess I would say maybe the M1 HM, synpower, or QSUD would be best.
The HM because of higher ZDDP levels and maybe thicker?
Synpower because of slightly lower detergent levels which can counter act EP and AW additives
And QSUD because its marketed for supreme wear protection and it too has lower calcium levels than some like PU.

Whats your opinion?

I'd personally pick in this order based on wear: PU, PP, QSUD.

On value: QSUD, PP, PU.

I don't touch Castrol anymore.

Easy to get and find for a good price: PP, QSUD.

Last edited:
The nature of UOAs can't tell which oil causes the least actual wear, that is wear that can be detected by an engine tear down and inspection. This has been discussed here several times.

From my experience it would be a tie between M1 HM and Castrol Syntec (basing my opinion on how smooth the engine runs). I went to Walmart last night and bought two oil changes worth of Syntec 10W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Out of these oils in Xw30 grade, which one offers best wear protection?

To begin that inquiry, I think that I would start with oils that have met GM's dexos1 certification.
Here is the list. (click)

Now that's funny because I don't think GM are too fussy over Dexos specs because that list has over 80 different oils on it!!

While UOAs are not an accurate indicator of wear, I imagine that various ASTM tests are good indicators for specific parts. And if so, then there have been times when some of the oils listed have allowed 4x to 8x more cam wear than some others listed. And this fact was not missed by the marketing departments.
lol.gif

Anyway, formulations change, so what was the case a few years ago may not be the case today.
And where brand X may do relatively poorly in some flavors, it might excel in other flavors.

My preference for this metric, which is not backed by personal UOAs since I haven't done any, favors Pennzoil Ultra and Synpower, and between those two PU is a winner for extended oil change intervals.

In my case price often takes a front seat too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
What about AFE? Would its cold start ability out weigh higher zinc levels and higher HTHS?

Not at the likely cold start temperatures you would have in Texas.

For a 0w30, M1 AFE has a disappointing Viscosity Index. It's not going to have much lower viscosity at temperatures down to freezing compared to thin 5w30's.

I honesty dont know much about ACEA ratings but i know euro oils have a lot of them..
Would it make sense to say a euro would offer better wear protection?
Maybe something like M1 0/40 or GC?

The QSUD SN 5/30 I have says meets or exceeds ACEA A5-02

The PU SN 10/30 I have says meets ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1

The castrol txt 5/40 505 01 im running now say ACEA A3/B3

M1 EP SN 5/30 ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5

PP SN ACEA A1/B1

what do all of these mean?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
M1 HM 10w30 gets my vote. Higher levels of antiwear additives and highest HTHS of all of them.

This.

The Quaker State (and all SOPUS oils for that matter) is great for anti-wear. But the Mobil 1 beats it here, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back