Which of these Lexus

I get why he asked - this is a pretty knowledgeable forum. I’ll bet if there had been a real “gotcha” he would have wanted to know about it. As it turned out, none of our posts condemned the choice he was leaning towards in a manner that would change his mind. I’ve learned stuff here.

I went and test out both . The RX does have more room and sit a bit taller . The NX is a compact suv . For the budget I was going and after test drive both , my mind keep wanting to go with the NX because of the look . If I can afford more moneys for the newer RX350 I would pick the RX because the newer RX350 have really good interior , I just can’t afford it right now . Thanks every one for input .

I have a 2015 RX350 that I bought in August 2021 with 160k miles on it. It currently has 228k miles on it.

It has had ONE repair in those 228k miles - some oil sensor for the VVT operation. Can't remember the exact part. The previous owner had it replaced at a Lexus Dealer at about 150k miles.

As you can see, we will probably put about 80k miles on it by it's 3rd year of our ownership. Here's what I have done to it:

Oil & Filter changes
Trans pan drop, filter, clean pan, new gasket and refill with Amsoil OE Trans fluid (will repeat soon)
Drain and fill trans fluid
Rear brakes 1x with Lexus OEM pads and Rotors

Front brakes 2x pads, 3x rotors. First time I used the Powerstop OE pad/rotor kit. Vibrations were very present after 40k miles. I had the old rotors turned and replaced them. First time I stupidly used the purple Permatex brake grease and it had caked up solid. I cleaned all of that out and used SylGlyde. When I say cleaned it out, I take the pad bracket, take the boots off, fill the cylinders up with brake clean and let it soak. I use Q-tips and rolled up paper towels to dig down and get all the boogers out. Those turned rotors lasted about 20k miles... I ordered up all OEM stuff, which is about $20 more than cheap Powerstop stuff and did it all over again. Been smooth sailing since.

Flushed brake lines when doing brakes
Drain and fill coolant (need to repeat soon)
Replaced rear hatch struts
Replaced hood struts
Air/Cabin air filters
Spark plugs at 162k miles
Cleaned throttle body at 210k miles (this should be done at spark plug replacement)
PCV Valve (162k miles)

When I bought it, it had a brand new set of Khumo tires on it. They were rated for 40k miles. I think I got 42k out of them. It now has a set of Michelin X-LT ("LTX M-S") on them, rated for 70k miles. They have have 26k miles on them and look great, ride smooth, etc.

I have a set of OEM shocks and struts laying in the garage floor. I need to get them put on soon.

It needs the sunroof motor looked at. I have the fused pulled for the sunroof so someone doesn't accidentally open it. It needs the rear hatch motor replaced. It still opens manually just fine. The motor is about $350 and this is a fairly difficult DIY job.

It goes from point A to point B very well. People do not believe it has nearly 250k miles on it. The inside looks great, the outside does have several pock marks on the hood, some scratches on the sides, etc. It is very tight, quiet and smooth.

I change the oil every 5-6k miles and it's "clean" looking. I generally tear the Toyota OEM oil filter apart, try to look through each pleat. I see 1-3 tiny, tiny specks of aluminum material each time.

I would have zero problems buying another 2015 RX350 that has ~150k miles on it and has some proven maintenance. These things are bulletproof.

Contrast -

A co-worker of my wife - she just had to get rid of a 2018 NX200 with 70k miles on it because the timing chain set was shot. She claims it had been very, very well maintained with oil changes much more often than Toyota recommends. She is still fuming about that and it has damaged their family's opinion of Toyota/Lexus.

I’m in middle of these 2 Lexus . 2016 I like but it have turbo which I’m not big fan in a long term ownership . Should I worried about the 2.0l turbo Lexus engine ?
View attachment 215165
I've driven both as i worked for a Lexus dealership. The RX350 is more plush and quieter than the NX. The NX rides firmer but the engine is very well built I wouldn't worry about if it has a turbo. I think 2016 was the first year of manufacturing for the nx However.

Back