Which bypass filter: Amsoil or Motorguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by therion:
How do i know what the heck i need for the tp setup. geez, i figured out i needed the Perma-cool dual remote mount, and i need to find some sort of filter - preferably Motor Guard and then i need all the hoses?? it seems like it will take me weeks just to figure out what i need to make it work, ****.

Filters were a lot easier to deal with in the 60's. I can't keep up with all of the different rigs out there. Basically you have to find a place to mount the filter then you have to figure out where to tap into a pressure source and return the clean oil to a non pressure area such as the oil pan. The sandwich adapters create a pressure difference that can be used. They are an old idea. The sandwich adapters work the same with oil filters as they do with oil coolers. You always need another route for the oil in case the cooler or oil filter is clogged. Think of the Motor Guard as a partially clogged oil cooler.

Ralph
burnout.gif

therion, that's the decision. TP filters better, and the BMK-13 is easier to install. Which is more important to you?

I went with the BMK-13 because both are provide enough filtration to meet my needs, so I went for the install.

Just make sure you open the hood, and get under you van and plan the install before you start ordering. It sounds like you have the opportunity of a good location.

Also, I'm convinced that treating you engine with Auto-RX before installing the by-pass is a smart idea. If you do that you would want to run it in the oil you now have in the engine.

When I put the by-pass on my F-150, I worked with someone who had the same truck and by-pass filter. We layed out the plan, took pictures, and documented instructions and parts used. Sorry to say I don't know where that kind of detail can be found for your van.

Ok thanks guys. If i can figure out a way to do the Motor Guard i will go that route since protection is my #1 priority. Otherwise i'll just settle for the BMK-13 and be happy.

Also which one is easier to install the dual mount bypass or the single bypass ?

[ January 27, 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: therion ]

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
therion, that's the decision. TP filters better, and the BMK-13 is easier to install. Which is more important to you?

I went with the BMK-13 because both are provide enough filtration to meet my needs, so I went for the install.

Really how can we say either one is better?? What is better? Ralf, puts out a lot of marketing information, same as I do. But do I have a head to head comparison with the TP Filters??

The way I look at it, Amsoil filter claims 3 micron absolute and 1 micron nominal. But you have to also think about surface area of the filter. The Amsoil element will allow the oil to be cleaned more often than the TP filters, since the Amsoil unit has more surface area for filtration, The amsoil unit will hold more of the important contaminats than the TP filter since it has more surface area for filtration, which is the reason it will last longer in a given application.

I'm not trying to knock the TP, I personally think it works as advertised, but I'm also concerned that folks who have not used or tested either one of these products comments on One is better than the other.

I'm guessing if someone really wants to compare they should install both, run them 10,000-20,000 then do an Oil sample, Particle count, and FTIR so you can get the total picture.

quote:

Also which one is easier to install the dual mount bypass or the single bypass ?

They are both about the same, the Dual remote is easier to put together since you only have an adapter that mounts to the FF filter mount.

The single by-pass is easier to find a spot to mount since it is much smaller, but you have to tap off the oil sending unit and then drill a whole in your oil pan for the return. Others have used hollow drain plugs, or drilled holes in valve covers, or drilled holes in their oil fill cap.

Another option for the single filter would be to use one of the perma-cool sandwhich adapters like ralf talks about. With this setup the single by-pass filter would be just as easy to setup as the Dual Remote.

The single filter is also less expensive than the dual if you are looking to save money. Just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

They are both about the same, the Dual remote is easier to put together since you only have an adapter that mounts to the FF filter mount.

The single by-pass is easier to find a spot to mount since it is much smaller, but you have to tap off the oil sending unit and then drill a whole in your oil pan for the return. Others have used hollow drain plugs, or drilled holes in valve covers, or drilled holes in their oil fill cap.

Another option for the single filter would be to use one of the perma-cool sandwhich adapters like ralf talks about. With this setup the single by-pass filter would be just as easy to setup as the Dual Remote.

The single filter is also less expensive than the dual if you are looking to save money. Just a thought.

Room is NOT an issue really. The single mount bypass is complicated, and very dangerous. I mean what if you drill into the pan and get some shavings in there. I'll stick with the dual remote bypass that plugs into the FF mount, MUCH EASIER IMO!. Only thing i have to do is secure the mount connect hoses and im done, no brainwork required. The single system, although cheaper requires more addon stuff to make it work, so i dont think it is going to be that much cheaper once u add all the stuff u need with it.

So how does the Perma-Cool sandwitch adapter work? where does it go? If the FF filter stays in the original location i dont get how installation of the perma-cool can be an easy situation.

[ January 27, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

msparks, I agree, you make a good point. Plus either way we are talking about filtering efficiency at 1 micron of high performance filters.

quote:

Room is NOT an issue really. The single mount bypass is complicated, and very dangerous. I mean what if you drill into the pan and get some shavings in there. I'll stick with the dual remote bypass that plugs into the FF mount, MUCH EASIER IMO!. Only thing i have to do is secure the mount connect hoses and im done, no brainwork required. The single system, although cheaper requires more addon stuff to make it work, so i dont think it is going to be that much cheaper once u add all the stuff u need with it.

So how does the Perma-Cool sandwitch adapter work? where does it go? If the FF filter stays in the original location i dont get how installation of the perma-cool can be an easy situation.

I agree, you think like I do. I don't want to drill a hole in the oil pan. I'm not that good with tools. If you sell the car, then it's not just a matter of removing the by-pass and replacing the stock oil filter, you have to deal with patching the oil pan.

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
I agree, you think like I do. I don't want to drill a hole in the oil pan. I'm not that good with tools. If you sell the car, then it's not just a matter of removing the by-pass and replacing the stock oil filter, you have to deal with patching the oil pan.

I put together a Motor Guard system that came out to be $200 at the cheapest. $60 for the Perma-Cool Ford V8 FF Mount adapter, Dual Remote Mount, and x2 36" hydraulic hosing. + $140 for the canister is $200. The way i understand, it is that the Amsoil is $150 with the hoses and fittings required for installation.

Theres some Frantz canisters up for sale on ebay, perhaps i can win one of these for under $100, would that be a good choice?? anyone use frantz and motor guard and can tell me the difference

[ January 29, 2004, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back