Which Battery Would You Choose?

Odyssey & NorthStar Batteries are the ones with the highest amount and purity of lead. That's why they cost more, that and the case construction. Deka & EastPenn are also very good batteries. IMO it amounts to whether you want the best or not.

If you can trust the specs, the NAPA is heavier, higher AH rating and higher Res Cap. I could not find warranty info for the Odyssey, so that could make a difference. The Non prorated length of time indicates to me the confidence the manufacturer has in their product, but if its the same 18 mos I would get the NAPA.

If you deeply cycle a TPPL AGM, then it is much better for it to feed it from that well depleted state, with high amperage.
Odyssey says no less than 40 amps per 100Ah of capacity.

Most Non TPPl Agms say no more than 30 amps per 100Ah of capacity.

The vehicles alternator, whose output controlled by the voltage regulator, can meet the high rate, but will the voltage regulator allow it for as long as needed? Unknown. A voltage regulator seeking/allowing only 13.7 will deliver 2 to 3 times LESS amperage than if it were seeking/ holding 14.7v. The newer and more healthy the battery the closer this is to 2/3rd more.
I wold recommend not idling to recharge with a well depleted AGM, as underhood airflow is weak and the alternator can approach the 220f danger zone

A lot of people think AGMS are a super battery, immune to abuse, but if they are cycled deeper, and not fed high amperage, AND not truly fully recharged on a somewhat regular basis, they lose capacity and performance faster than would a flooded battery in the same exact usage.

TPPL AGMs are awesome as they have HUGE CCA, and very high charge acceptance, but 80% charged to 100% charged still is in the 3.5 hour range, assuming the correct absorption voltaqe is held. If the vehicles voltage is less than ideal, it is likely the AGM reaches a higher overall state of charge than a flooded, and could be one factor in why many people report excellent lifespans from them, in comparison to flooded, but there a re so many variables it is hard to pin down any one as the reason.

When the battery is not cycled deeply, then the recharge regimen becomes much less important.

How well any vehicle can take care of a specific battery is highly variable, but the best thing one can do is insure regular true full recharges and barring 'true full charge' as close as possible to that ideal.
With TPPL agms, if they are deeply cycled then one should have the ability to high amp recharge it, as trickle charging them in such duty, will tickle them to premature capacity loss.

When deeply cycled, it is important to reach a true full charge soon after. a half hour drive each day, does not even come close, so plugging in to the grid is wise, no matter which lead acid battery one employs, whether flooded/wet, or AGM.

Deka's AGMS make for OK starter batteries, but in terms of deep cycle service, they are rated, by east penn themselves, at 300 to 350 deep cycles, where the Odyssey is up around 1000. These are 'lab cycles' where the battery is discharged a set amount, usually 50%, and then promptly returned to a true full charge.

A 'lab cycle' is not going to happen in actual use, so expecting the cycle rating is unwise.

I am currently cycling a pair of 2017 GC-2 deka intimidators I got for free which were rarely cycled and mostly floated, and a 2019 Northstar TPPl AGM. 190Ah vs 103ah,
135 lbs vs 70lbs.

In terms of voltage held during engine starting, the Northstar holds higher voltage, spins the engine faster.
In terms of voltage held during lower slower overnight discharges, the Northstar holds higher voltage until about 65 amps hours from full.
In terms of recharging to full, the Northstar reaches true 'full' about 1 hour earlier with all factors being very similar.

The Northstar when it was new, and well depleted was able to suck up more amperage than all my charging sources, in parallel could deliver.
The Dekas, I did not have since new, so cant compare, but as of right now, I can deliver 138 amps from plug in charging sources, and Neither battery can accept that much as they rise instantly to their absorption voltage, The Northstar takes about 90 amps and the Dekas about 72 to instantly reach absorption voltage from ~ 50% charged or less.

TPPl AGMs are far superior to other AGMs, in my opinion. They have higher CCA, can accept huge charging amperage, charge to higher state of charge faster with less than ideal, or Ideal charge voltages, and have lower self discharge.

But they are $$$$ and might pose no benefit to their owner, and if they are cycled deeper, and not fed higher amperages and not returned to truly full, then they will not last any longer than their flooded counterparts at 1/3 the price.

If treated well, then they will give impressive performance and have impressive lifespans, with very few exceptions, but one cannot expect impressive in an abusive scenario, and their vehicle might not shiv one git about taking care of the battery, as some intentionally keep them undercharged in a quest for a tiny gain in mpg's.

@wrcsixeight

I will say that my OEM battery lasted almost 10 years to the day. It still works, but the voltage drops hard while starting and doesn't hold at 12.6. Voltage while driving is generally 14.4-14.7 volts.

I also make a habit of regular charging my car batteries. Usually with a 2amp maintainer, but I have a higher 10amp model that I use whenever I do oil changes or other maintenance. I'll usually let that sit for the better part of 24hrs.

Right now I'm inclined to buy the Odyssey. It is lighter, stronger, and has a 4 year replacement warranty.

I looked up the definition for chonker. If I posted the definition I would surely get a permanent vacation from here. o_O
Urban Dictionary is wrong! I wish I could un-read that definition.

I was referring to the subreddit dedicated to very fat felines.

RDT_20210728_1805398633148144217529917.jpg

Edit: It's crazy is what Google gives you under UD as a "definition." But if you click through, it's way way down the list, because it's wrong. The top definition is the real one. Housecats. JFC.

They're heckin' chonkers.

Yeah that battery is big... And heavy...

The AGM from Napa or O Reilly's made by East Penn is a good deal.

Batteries Plus has their X-2 Thin Plate Pure Lead batteries for around $280-350... They are basically relabeled Northstar AGM batteries. 5 year Free replacement warranty.... If you have a Batteries Plus nearby that could be another possible option.

I might recommend that you and others go get a FREE battery load test offered at several auto parts chain stores at the change of every season.
Then you may reduce the chance of going out to the engine that started fine in the morning to calling a tow truck in the afternoon.
Yeah agree, I keep up with batteries pretty well, in this FL heat you're lucky to get just over 3 years. My last one was about 3.5years.
This is on a daily driver with 20- 25k mi/year.

Almost makes you wonder if you're better off abusing it and letting it fail prior to 3-years for warranty purposes.

But yeah my strategy is to charge the battery every few months, monitor resting voltage constantly, and when its showing its age have it tested.

Yeah agree, I keep up with batteries pretty well, in this FL heat you're lucky to get just over 3 years. My last one was about 3.5years.
This is on a daily driver with 20- 25k mi/year.

Almost makes you wonder if you're better off abusing it and letting it fail prior to 3-years for warranty purposes.

But yeah my strategy is to charge the battery every few months, monitor resting voltage constantly, and when its showing its age have it tested.
Ya Florida such for heat and humidity. I have the heat and hotter at times then yours but not the humidity. The most important thing is to test the battery often. Load testers are inexpensive. If a battery starts to go bad it will tax your charging system and also on car with several computers may effect their performance or their electrical life. As far as I concerned batteries are a life organ needed to be in the best health for your vehicle at all times.

I am always checking and doing a simple overnight charge to help keep my battery up on it health. I know that for dome its a task and more so if you do not have a garage but it is well worth it most especially during the summer when we are all using are AC more and running short errands.

Ya Florida such for heat and humidity. I have the heat and hotter at times then yours but not the humidity. The most important thing is to test the battery often. Load testers are inexpensive. If a battery starts to go bad it will tax your charging system and also on car with several computers may effect their performance or their electrical life. As far as I concerned batteries are a life organ needed to be in the best health for your vehicle at all times.

I am always checking and doing a simple overnight charge to help keep my battery up on it health. I know that for dome its a task and more so if you do not have a garage but it is well worth it most especially during the summer when we are all using are AC more and running short errands.
WT>>>>>>F!!!! Man you guys are bad luck for me? 😲 LOL

I went out to take some picture (you all should be use to that from me now) and look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Well I will be ordering a new odyssey today. This one I pulled from one of my less driven MINI's and it is 6 years old. The last time I load tested it was 2 months ago looking at my maintenance d log. This is the case that it is holding volt starts fine but the use of the AC and my current stereo with a factory alternator is apparently to much for the battery and the age?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 34
WT>>>>>>F!!!! Man you guys are bad luck for me? 😲 LOL

I went out to take some picture (you all should be use to that from me now) and look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Well I will be ordering a new odyssey today. This one I pulled from one of my less driven MINI's and it is 6 years old. The last time I load tested it was 2 months ago looking at my maintenance d log. This is the case that it is holding volt starts fine but the use of the AC and my current stereo with a factory alternator is apparently to much for the battery and the age?

Looks like an optima? I lost count of how many Optimas I lost prematurely, and I'm pretty good at counting.

They started out great - went to "Hecho En Mexico"- never been the same.

I had heard they came back, but I never saw any evidence to that in my or my clients setups.

Easier and cheaper to stick with Odysseys going forward. Full River has a nice offering, but Ill still take the odysseys.

Looks like an optima? I lost count of how many Optimas I lost prematurely, and I'm pretty good at counting.

They started out great - went to "Hecho En Mexico"- never been the same.

I had heard they came back, but I never saw any evidence to that in my or my clients setups.

Easier and cheaper to stick with Odysseys going forward. Full River has a nice offering, but Ill still take the odysseys.
Good eye!! Ya I don't know why I said Odyssey, the Odyssey is in my 2002 MINI the size of a motorcycle battery... LOL and the Mazda and 2009 MINI has the Optimas. :oops:
I think you may be correct about the optima? I have a couple Blue's that are manufactured dated 2003 and are perfect condition to date.
Also I was disappointed this morning to try to contact Optima and its like everything else ...email them! :rolleyes:What a PIA if you need or think you may have Q&A for a specific recommendation? Currently in the shop our commercial account none OE is with NAPA, and AutoZone but not not AutoZone direct for Optima. This is were I start to feel old not being able to talk to a human when needed!:mad:
OH well I will work it out as always............:)

Picked up the Odyssey from FCP Euro for 288.88 including tax and expedited shipping.

I called and confirmed - their lifetime warranty includes batteries, making it a no-brainer.
Not to rain on your great deal, but for others to understand.
Regarding lifetime, make sure you understand that lifetime warranty is through FCP only. If you purchase from FCP the basic Odyessy warranty will cover you anywhere it fails if their is an authorized Odyessy dealer. When the Odyssey warranty expires then you must go directly to FCP for warranty replacement or purchase the replacement and then when you return back home send or visit an FCP location and they would then refund your original purchase price from them. I may be a little off on the last part but normally lifetime replacements generally mean if you have to buy a 300 dollar replacement FCP is only going to refund 288? You would need to contact FCP for the exact terms of the warranty coverage. I looked and read what they had on line and was not totally clear the wording "implies" came to mind?

And for ALL branded Batteries purchased on ebay ,amazon and other sources, if they are NOT an authorized retailer by that battery company then you will likely not get a full warranty(if that) from the Battery Manufacture or real authorized retailers of those batteries. So be aware that great price may cost you in the end?

Thanks for your concern. FCP Euro is an authorized Odyssey retailer.

The way it works with FCP Euro is you buy the replacement part outright, and they refund your purchase price when they receive the old part.

So whatever the battery costs in the future, I'll only be out shipping. If it ever fails me. My original battery lasted 10 years.

In any case, FCP Euro was the cheapest source. The battery was 20% off at NAPA, but it was unavailable for store and home delivery in my area.

The longest lasting battery I’ve ever owned was an odyssey deep cycle. I’d buy another in a heartbeat if it were conveniently available.

Back