Which Battery Would You Choose?

I know it doesn't answer your question, but Costco has an Interstate AGM for $217.99

Also, AutoZone's battery looks to be the same manufacturer, but for $199.

Did the Touareg come with an AGM from the factory?
The Touareg was available with 6 different batteries. H7-H9, flooded and AGM. I can code in whichever battery.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but Costco has an Interstate AGM for $217.99

Also, AutoZone's battery looks to be the same manufacturer, but for $199.
Just based on those prices, there is no way either battery is Made in the USA, or even the first world.

The Odyssey battery is made by Enersys, and a lot of people like them. The Napa house brand battery is made by Deka, also good. You can't go wrong with either :)

Buy 2 other cheap items at the same time, so you get a 20% discount (which amounts to almost $60 in your case!) The other items can be cheap, like only a few dollars, even something cheap like a light bulb or screws. Spend an extra $3 to save $60 :sneaky:

Officially, the 20% off is when you buy a bucket, but if you order online, you don't actually have to buy the bucket.

The Touareg was available with 6 different batteries. H7-H9, flooded and AGM. I can code in whichever battery.

Just based on those prices, there is no way either battery is Made in the USA, or even the first world.
Aftermarket batteries isn't going to supply the coding information, so if you're switching from a flooded battery to AGM, you'll have to steal the coding from a AGM battery that has that information.

Battery_serial_number.jpg

The Odyssey battery is made by Enersys, and a lot of people like them. The Napa house brand battery is made by Deka, also good. You can't go wrong with either :)

Buy 2 other cheap items at the same time, so you get a 20% discount (which amounts to almost $60 in your case!) The other items can be cheap, like only a few dollars, even something cheap like a light bulb or screws. Spend an extra $3 to save $60 :sneaky:

Officially, the 20% off is when you buy a bucket, but if you order online, you don't actually have to buy the bucket.
I already have enough items in my cart to qualify. It's a solid deal for either battery. I'm confident in the quality of both, I just don't know which would be "better."

Are there any addition maintenance considerations for this Odyssey, or can I treat as any other automotive AGM?

O'Reilly's has AGM batteries made by East Penn for $199 that fits '12 Touareg.
That's good to know, I'll have to check that out. I was under the impression that Super Start was JCI.

NAPA's AGM battery isn't going to supply the coding information, for the battery coding. So, you're going to have to steal that information from another AGM battery.
The module has the battery options inside. I just have to tell the car which battery size is installed and change the SN.

Regardless of what you go with I would suggest calling the place you intend to buy from and:
A) ask about pricing (usually in store prices are cheaper than what's advertised online)
B) ask if they have a fresh battery of that type, and if possible can they get a fresh battery

The module has the battery options inside. I just have to tell the car which battery size is installed and change the SN.
The battery size in the CAN-UDS doesn't tell you the type of battery, flooded or AGM. It's size, as denoted in capacity (Amp-hour), manufacturer and serial number.

the size may not go up to the rough conversion to 950 CCA (approximately 130 Ah)

Last edited:

They look the same to me 🤷‍♂️.

Also, Napa's 18 month free replacement vs. AutoZone's 36 month.

A459F867-53AB-45AA-AF1A-A3DF69A3E253.jpeg

D2C446CD-F2F3-46E5-A753-F0A324D40BF8.jpeg

Odyssey- in everything I have as the lead acids or other AGMs die.

The thin plat pure lead design works as advertised. TPPL is the acronym lots of guys use.

Best batteries Ive owned I think Im 12 years on the truck battery now Id have to look it up.

I have had the best experience with the original Die Hards which were Deka and are now what Napa is using. I have an Napa AGM in 3 cars for 3 years and still going strong. Napa has a $20 rebate going on right now.
I have read lots of about quality issues with Odyssey over the last few years

I would research..
I prefer Odyssey, unless they have changed they are still 100% new material. Many name brand batteries are no longer 100% new materials.
I started seeing a higher warranty replacement rate in batteries that were not 100% new material increase about 2001. I am not going to say which brand because I was a distributor of a few battery line and already see some responses mentioning their use but I was selling an average about 200-300 batteries a month. I warrantied at least on average 60+ per month.
Another thing if you buy a battery ask for a newest production date they have and have them tell and show you if your in a store what that date is based on the manufactured date molded in to the case and not a distribution sticker date or a bar code. If they don't know what that is then you should be cautious of your purchase. Many of you likely purchased an new battery that was several month or even a year or more old?

Napa batteries are pro-rated to 75 months.
To me that's not a bad option as most batteries i've had fail just after the typical free replacement period.

Napa batteries are pro-rated to 75 months.
To me that's not a bad option as most batteries i've had fail just after the typical free replacement period.
I might recommend that you and others go get a FREE battery load test offered at several auto parts chain stores at the change of every season.
Then you may reduce the chance of going out to the engine that started fine in the morning to calling a tow truck in the afternoon.

The battery size in the CAN-UDS doesn't tell you the type of battery, flooded or AGM. It's capacity (Amp-hour), and the serial number better be correct for a AGM battery, otherwise you'll run into charging issues and electrical performance issues.
I found a thread on the Ross Tech forums where Uwe mentions that the only things that have any function are:

1: battery size
2: battery SN change which tells the module that the battery is new. I suspect the Touareg has charging logic suitable for both battery types.

@wrcsixeight Would the Odyssey require any special maintenance beyond what a standard AGM or wet cell would need?

Back