Where to find free numbers for dialup access?

It might take that long for "Happy Valley Telephone Company and Golf Cart Repair" to upgrade their equipment. Small independent telephone companies in rural areas without the deep pockets of AT&T and Verizon. Even Contel, which was at one time the 3rd largest phone company in the USA, ran on a shoestring budget compared to the big two (Bell and GTE).
Some may drag their feet, but very few will be able to. If there are any commercial customers in their base, the customers will demand Ethernet based services and already have. If the ILEC doesn't want to spend the money, then there are CLECs who will and the ILEC will watch their base erode. TDM is dead.

Out of all the thousands of data ports I see pretty much every day, not one of my customers has a single TDM data circuit left, not one. That includes ports in at least 50 other countries and many rural areas of the US.

Last edited:
Some may drag their feet, but very few will be able to. If there are any commercial customer in their base, the customers will demand Ethernet based services and already have. If the ILEC doesn't want to spend the money, then there are CLECs who will and the ILEC will watch their base erode. TDM is dead.

Out of all the thousands of data ports I see pretty much every day, not one of my customers has a single TDM data circuit left, not one. That includes ports in at least 50 other countries and many rural areas of the US.
Same.

Some may drag their feet, but very few will be able to. If there are any commercial customers in their base, the customers will demand Ethernet based services and already have. If the ILEC doesn't want to spend the money, then there are CLECs who will and the ILEC will watch their base erode. TDM is dead.

Some of these places are so rural that there aren't likely to be any customers who want Ethernet services, either now or in the future.

Also I don't see why, to be able to deliver Ethernet services, would require the replacement of the class 5 end office.

I guess you don't deal with many small business or local government customers?

Some of these places are so rural that there aren't likely to be any customers who want Ethernet services, either now or in the future.
I don't know of any businesses that don't want the speed and reliability of fiber based Ethernet, compared to services over copper. Ethernet isn't the only option, DOCSIS (cable modems) have a huge market share in small/medium businesses. Why keep a T1 in this age? Beside the carriers are getting rid of their TDM equipment as quickly as possible.
I guess you don't deal with many small business or local government customers?
We deal with all customers.

I don't know of any businesses that don't want the speed and reliability of fiber based Ethernet, compared to services over copper. Ethernet isn't the only option, DOCSIS (cable modems) have a huge market share in small/medium businesses. Why keep a T1 in this age? Beside the carriers are getting rid of their TDM equipment as quickly as possible.

Because there's no DOCSIS. There's no fiber. There isn't even DSL. There's only T1 lines or dialup. Maybe satellite or cellular. That's the situation in many rural areas, at least the ones I'm familiar with in Virginia. I have no reason to think that rural areas in other states are any better off.

We deal with all customers.

A friend of mine works for a small business north of here by about 11 miles and he had to call Verizon a few weeks ago because their PRI T1 went down. I also suspect that there are a lot of curbside SLCs fed with T1s around the country.

EarthLink was mentioned a few times, including by myself. I found that they still have a dialup agreement for dialup only service. But the DSL/home phone agreement includes 20 hours of dialup service per month.

Additional Fees for EarthLink High-Speed Internet and DSL Service Customers: The High-Speed Internet and DSL Services include a dial-up connection to the Internet for up to 20 hours per monthly billing cycle. In calculating the 20 hours of usage, the dial-up usage of each Device logged into your account to access the Internet is counted. For example, if you have two Devices logged in from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., your total usage for that time period will be 2 hours of usage. If your dial-up connection usage exceeds 20 hours per month, you will be charged an additional $1.00 per hour (up to a maximum of $21.95 per month), pro-rated to the minute, through the end of the monthly billing cycle.​

Back