Where is my CD player ??

When CDs first came out, I jumped on the bandwagon. Verses vinyl, there's no snap, crackle and pop. Unlike cassette, you can instantly get to the song you like. Unlike 8-track (anybody remember that? :LOL: ), there's no jumping from one track to another IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SONG! But while I have a fairly large stash of CDs, I use them for home use, not in a vehicle. I never did like them in a vehicle. When portable CD players first came out, hitting bumps in the road would make them skip. I've seen people put their CD players on a large pillow in the car and they used to sell some sort of spring platform that worked similar to what they put skyscrapers on in earthquake areas. Decades ago, my sister had a factory CD player that the "factory" replaced 4-5 times under warranty.
Yes, I still have several vehicles with factory CD players. I've got an older Lincoln Navigator that has a pretty impressive CD player set up. But I never use it.

Now that CD's are going the way of the cassette tape...I love hearing people complain about it. I'm sure at one point people were angry that they couldn't start their cars by hand anymore and had to use a fancy push button.

There are now class action lawsuits about keeping AM Radio as a safety feature for new cars. Because you know, whenever Armageddon happens we need our AM radio's in our cars to stay safe.

Apparently FM radio and cell service will go down but AM will keep us alive lol.

Might as well make CB radio standard on all vehicles.

Now that CD's are going the way of the cassette tape...I love hearing people complain about it. I'm sure at one point people were angry that they couldn't start their cars by hand anymore and had to use a fancy push button.

There are now class action lawsuits about keeping AM Radio as a safety feature for new cars. Because you know, whenever Armageddon happens we need our AM radio's in our cars to stay safe.

Apparently FM radio and cell service will go down but AM will keep us alive lol.

Most of us likely have a high value and massive CD collection. It is time consuming to burn them to a wave or high bit rate MP3 file at 2x or 4x for good playback. Hey there is always aftermarket head unit or a trunk mount cd changer.

My quality CD player bit the dust, a new entry "hi fi" replacement sounded poor as does my DVD burner in the PC.

So I have lately been listening to properly uploaded master tape or LP playback on YT.

Rock fans:

Classical fans:

Last edited:

I live in a small mountain community. Wildfire danger is very high and there are only a few ways in and out unless you pwn a 4WD and could make it to a Forest Service road.

There is a low power, automated local AM radio station that broadcasts emergency information which would be highly useful should an evacuation be called. I have that station saved as a favorite on both of my vehicles radios and would tune in if an emergency occurred. I can pull in KFI AM out of Los Angeles but that's about it, even FM reception is spotty until I am "down the hill".

So yes, AM radio still serves a purpose.

I've been hundreds of miles from where FM quit and had AM radio, and all my favorite extremist conspiracy talk shows are am radio

I don't get the whole ousting of CDs and CD players. They still are the best sound reproduction media as far as sound quality is concerned. Today they're treated as 8 tracks. It's a clear case of convenience over function...

I don't get the whole ousting of CDs and CD players. They still are the best sound reproduction media as far as sound quality is concerned. Today they're treated as 8 tracks. It's a clear case of convenience over function...
Audio quality of the source matters less in a car with NVH. At home is a different story. Point being, in a car anyone is hard pressed to hear the difference between a high quality stream and a lossless audio file on a CD.

Reactions: Pew
Audio quality of the source matters less in a car with NVH. At home is a different story. Point being, in a car anyone is hard pressed to hear the difference between a high quality stream and a lossless audio file on a CD.
Audiophiles can definitely hear a difference, even in a car. I know, I used to be one before my hearing started going bad...and BTW, it's hereditary, it's not from listening to loud music...

Audiophiles can definitely hear a difference, even in a car. I know, I used to be one before my hearing started going bad...and BTW, it's hereditary, it's not from listening to loud music...
Love it. What speaker were your favourites? I had a pair of KLH model 6 that were very good.
I remember heaing the AR Model 10pi and 11 when they came out at the HiFI store. Music sounded "live" if you were in an adjacent room. Fisrt time I had heard that "effect".
I think my Last fancy units were a pair of Magnepans and a hybrid Tube mosfet power amp.
My last roomate in the late 80's had a good system of some Martin Logan hybrid electrostatics and an ARC preamp and an obscure hi current power amp - I recall now it was a Bedini.
My hearng is shot now too - heriditary also.

As both of my cars do not have CD players I transfer music in the FLAC format to USB sticks from my CD collection. My 2019 Mazda won't recognize a USB stick greater than 8 Gb but it has two ports and I can put a heck of a lot of songs on an 8 Gb drive.
My Jaguar has no issue with up to 32 Gb but only has one port with another for use with a cord and Android Auto function with my phone. But in any case a few inexpensive USB sticks will hold thousands of songs.

My Mazda has a factory Bose system and my Jag has the upgraded Meridian sound system. Where I am disappointed is the sound quality from Sirius XM and also Pandora. I don't have the premium Pandora which I understand offers higher resolution as does the premium Spotify. I'm not in either car that much and it's enough that I have to pay $20 a month for the Sirius XM subscriptions for both vehicles so I'm not about to upgrade Pandora or Spotify. But Sirius XM isn't even as good as FM radio and they should do better.

Last edited:
My wife's new Crosstrek surprisingly has a CD player in a new 2023 model. But she ends up using music streaming most of the time.

We have have had "hands free" laws around here for about a decade; you are somewhat indirectly "required" to have BT to use your phone. Tell that to all the morons I witness on the interstate driving 15 under with their heads down in the middle lane.

Thank's Lazairidis and Job's - good way to addict and eventually ruin a great Natio
My wife's new Crosstrek surprisingly has a CD player in a new 2023 model. But she ends up using music streaming most of the time.

We have have had "hands free" laws around here for about a decade; you are somewhat indirectly "required" to have BT to use your phone. Tell that to all the morons I witness on the interstate driving 15 under with their heads down in the middle lane.

Thank's Lazairidis and Job's - good way to addict and eventually ruin a great Nation.
Eventually?

The CD sound quality argument is very real, and blows away music files which probably don't get to 50% of the quality of the CD. You guys can ship all your obsolete CDs to me... I'll gladly take them.

The same thing that happened to the cassette deck and 8-track before it. :)
My 2007 had no cassette player when I picked it up, I know how the OP feels. What's cheaper for the car mfgs seems to be easily sold today to buyers, which is fascinating.

The CD sound quality argument is very real, and blows away music files which probably don't get to 50% of the quality of the CD. You guys can ship all your obsolete CDs to me... I'll gladly take them.
That's what I mean, this idea of using one's smartphone was so easily sold to car buyers, seems to be a trend. Whereas in the early-mid 2000's, there were active threads tracking what car mfgs were removing from cars, when they were standard the year before, or since the beginning of a current generation.

Isn't there a newer idea that if you want GPS navigation, there's a monthly fee? And rather than feel up in arms, people justify the car mfgs actions by saying I use my phone anyway

It's like training a plant to climb a trellace, that's what car mfgs do today to buyers

There is a blind test of 320kb/s(?) MP3 vs wav online. Very hard to distinguish. I was using real studio HP and a fair D/A but nothing exotic. Disclaimer: I can't hear over 7khz anymore.

Found it. I am going to re-take the test with a different PC console and card right now.

Back