When You Closed Your Business

Told the drivers individually throughout the week that there was no more freight and not to tell the other drivers and the other drivers would be notified in a few days. Nobody peeped a word. They all received 1 months pay to 2 months pay based on seniority and health insurance paid during that time, one driver we paid an extra 4 months insurance because he had cancer and his SS and Medicare would kick in because he was terminal.

Trucks and trailers hit the auction within 5 weeks. Had a big fat check from the sales and sat on it until taxes were due and then had some choice words for the accountant as she severely underestimated the tax liability. Fortunately we didnt spend a dime of it unlike 4 other individuals that liquidated their businesses in the same boat that spent it all on houses and trucks.

We will frame the tax paperwork to prove we were “rich” for a short period and then proudly display the taxes owed section as it is equivalent to our combined income over 5 years. The rich don’t pay enough, my butt.

We drive a 2009 Vibe a 2009 Venza and a 2011 Silverado HD 6.0. High rollers I guess. Wife wanted a new Expedition but decided she’d rather put money somewhere else than a vehicle right now, something that makes money. Couldn’t agree more.

I guess everyone makes some choices in their early 20s not knowing exactly where it will take them. I went down the computer programming path right out of college working on mainframe computers for large corporations. That was 1976. I shifted slightly from applications after 2 years to systems prog then specialized on security about 10 years ago. Still on mainframes. As I tell people, I forgot to retire.

Now my Dad was a physicist at Bell Labs, got tired of the corp culture and opened up a tree nursery.

I like working on cars and boats but never got into it as a business.

Back