Warren Buffett; advice on marriage after 70 years

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have no idea what Warren Buffett is like behind closed doors, but his public image is very admirable. Another end of a generation of modesty and humbleness, yet a very successful and wealthy business person.

Warren Buffett Has Spent 70 Years Of His Life Married — His Advice: 'If You Want A Marriage To Last, Look For Someone With Low Expectations

So you should tell Mrs. GON to pursue another career in a far-away city, but she is free to arrange for a cocktail bar waitress to look after you in her absence. Every Christmas, you will send out cards signed by the three of you. Please report back with the results.

Well it's all relative eh?
My take away was it was a wonderful tribute to marriage and his spouse(s). His success was not without full respect that he would have been not so successful and happy without his spouse (s).

Like Tom Landry was likely the end of his generation of class football coaches (chiefs and bears have super good leaders as coaches- but a different generation), Warren Buffett may be the end of his generation as a down to earth billionaire.

We can look at Jeff Bexos and the likely millions he is paying for his companion's plastic surgery, to the Walton heirs buying the Denver broncos. We simply don't see these examples from Warren Buffett.

Last edited:
I admire Buffett but to say that his house is modest is a bit of a stretch. All the stories of him always says he only spent x amount of dollars for the house, forgot what it was but it was a lot of money back then for the average worker when he bought it. Yes it looks "modest" on the outside but it is over 6500 sq ft. My idea of modesty is a bit more modest.

Warren never let all his money go to his head. Lives in a modest house he bought years ago. Maybe 1950's or 1960's. You would think someone like that would have a mansion, but not him. We drove past it in Omaha years ago. Simple house that fit into the neighborhood.
He also had a Laguna Beach home he sold for $7.5 million in 2018. His second home, owned since 1971 might qualify as a mansion.

I never knew that. Guess I'm not close friend's with Warren. :LOL:
A 7.5 million dollar home sold in Laguna Beach in 2018 is in fact a tear down. And I suspect it was in fact torn down. Buffett bought that house decades earlier, and I suspect for six figures- heck, maybe even five figures.

Many people in California are millionaires for modest homes they bought decades earlier.

The point is Warren could own a mega mansion in California. Not only does he not, but he also sold his Laguna Beach home.

Here is a comparison with what Bill Gates is doing with one of his California homes. Key from the article is Gates is tearing down his nelwy purchased 43 million dollar newly purchased home.

A 7.5 million dollar home sold in Laguna Beach in 2018 is in fact a tear down. And I suspect it was in fact torn down. Buffett bought that house decades earlier, and I suspect for six figures- heck, maybe even five figures.

Many people in California are millionaires for modest homes they bought decades earlier.

The point is Warren could own a mega mansion in California. Not only does he not, but he also sold his Laguna Beach home.

Here is a comparison with what Bill Gates is doing with one of his California homes. Key from the article is Gates is tearing down his nelwy purchased 43 million dollar newly purchased home.
Wow, I just can't imagine having that much money! Be fun while it lasts anyway.

I have no idea what Warren Buffett is like behind closed doors, but his public image is very admirable. Another end of a generation of modesty and humbleness, yet a very successful and wealthy business person.

Warren Buffett Has Spent 70 Years Of His Life Married — His Advice: 'If You Want A Marriage To Last, Look For Someone With Low Expectations

I'm thinking a better way to look at it is look for someone with REALISTIC expectation.

My first wife was someone who expected that soulmates would just know what to do in terms of emotional and romantic connection. Since I asked, she took that to mean I wasn't her soulmate and promptly went looking.

I have to admit, after years of trying to figure it out and failing, I just spent my time on hobbies and work as bids for connection (not just that sort you bunch of leg-humpers) went largely unanswered.

So I'd say the key isn't low expectations, it's realistic expectations.

oilBabe didn't expect our marriage to be a Disney princess tale.

We celebrate 17 years this year.

And owns a jet plane & lavish house... Yeah, this guy is not on my level. If you're taking marriage advice from this guy you must be just a rich as him or?. Again on completely different lifestyle/income levels so how can one relate for "marriage Expectations" when they are not the same as ours?

12 years so far & I'll die married for a fact. I didn't get here listening to WB "Standards". 😄
Just think about how many of WB "Businesses" have broken up marriages over financial well being while he profited off you. Again, I'm thinking of the common man/woman & being realistic "Down here". Yeah, that would be a very interesting metric.. I'd like to know the polled ratio of marriages vs divorces under all of his business's combined. Since financials are a part of marriages & all. Wonder how many would check the financial as the reason for divorce.

Last edited:
Wow, I just can't imagine having that much money! Be fun while it lasts anyway.
Anybody who bought a house in a decent area of California in the last 10-15 years is a millionaire and has substantial equity.

I sold a home in a very desirable part of So. Cal 11 years ago. That house toady is worth 1.1 million. Unfortunately , I didn't sell it for any where near that.

Back