When would you use a Fuel System Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a PEA-based cleaner every so often - there's no rhyme or reason to when I use it.

I only use top-tier (usually Shell) and have never noticed a difference after using an additive. Heck, I never noticed a difference ever, even with my '97 Legacy GT with over 200k miles.

I've been throwing in a bottle of FI cleaner about two tanks before an oil change.

+1 But I wouldnt wait until the injectors get dirty then try and clean them with a fuel additive, I would run a couple of ounces per tank (more isn't necessarily better) every tank especially if running swill for fuel.

I use 87 gasoline and BG44K every 10,000 miles right before an oil change even on new vehicles! Gives me peace of mind.

If you are using a Top Tier fuel all the time I would not use any injector cleaner at all. Too much detergents can actually have an opposite effect, and that extra detergency can cause deposits.

My thoughts exactly and why I have never used an injector cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Patman
If you are using a Top Tier fuel all the time I would not use any injector cleaner at all. Too much detergents can actually have an opposite effect, and that extra detergency can cause deposits.

Interesting, which detergents and how much is too much ?

Twice a year when I change oil. That is about 3to 4 thousand miles. Mostly I do use top tier, if the signs at the station are right. I change oil that often because the daily driver Fusion gets mostly SHORT SHORT SHORT trips.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, it's just something I've picked up here and there over the years. I was hoping someone with a bit more chemistry knowledge might be able to expand on what I was saying. I remember someone in the know once telling me that excessive detergent amounts in your fuel is similar to if you're washing your clothes and you put in a double dose of laundry detergent. That doesn't make the clothes twice as clean, it simply leaves them feeling extra soapy when you're done and it's harder for them to rinse clean. Same goes with fuel system cleaners too, if you're already running Top Tier fuels and it's keeping the system very clean, what benefit is adding more detergents going to give you?

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hello everybody,

Question, if you had a new car and ran plain jane 87 octane in it at all times. When would you use or start using a fuel system cleaner?

Dale

All the time, using 1 oz per tank.

then starting at 5,000 miles (and 5,000 miles thereafter) throw in some Gumout Regane High-Mileage before an oil change

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, it's just something I've picked up here and there over the years. I was hoping someone with a bit more chemistry knowledge might be able to expand on what I was saying. I remember someone in the know once telling me that excessive detergent amounts in your fuel is similar to if you're washing your clothes and you put in a double dose of laundry detergent. That doesn't make the clothes twice as clean, it simply leaves them feeling extra soapy when you're done and it's harder for them to rinse clean. Same goes with fuel system cleaners too, if you're already running Top Tier fuels and it's keeping the system very clean, what benefit is adding more detergents going to give you?

Your analogy is for PBA, polybutylamine detergents. If you're using Top Tier, then it's not going to have PBA, it's going to have PEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back